Home Main Category Clubhouse

For those of us over 40 ish a question, this is tragic!

Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior MemberPosts: 2,054 Senior Member
I'm not sure how far (young) to go back and ask this question.  

Wife and I were at lunch in Wichita Falls this afternoon after church.  There was a family of five three kids, two girls and boy.  The girls probably 11 & 13ish and the son 9 or 10.  Mom and dad looked like they were in their late 30's early 40's

Not sure what was taking place or going on and the 13 told her father to F off!  The father said you won't talk to me like that, F you from the young girl.  Mom jumps in to try to defend dad and the 11ish girl tells her to kiss her a** she can talk to dad any d**m well she likes!  The mother snapped back at the 11 year old who promptly told mom to F off!

Half of the restaurant sat there in disbelief.    The manager came over and said there language was totally inappropriate to which the 13 flipped the manager off.  

Dad simply got up apologized and told the family they were leaving.  To which there as a big applause.  The older girl flipped off a couple folks as they walked out.  Mom and dad looked totally dejected as there was nothing they could do.

I looked at my wife and said growing up, I don't care if my father was beating me to death, never in my lifetime could I ever tell one of my parents let a lone my dad to FO!  I would have taken my last breaths shortly there after.  I'd like to say this was a one off but it's not, I've seen it before and you see on TV.

What the heck has happened to respect and manners in our youth.   When did society go wrong on this! 

Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21

Replies

• AccipiterAccipiter New Member Posts: 885 Senior Member
    It’s the Nazis.
    Apparently free thought is punished, and conformity is required, while peckerless cowards run the show.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

Ah......One savors the hypocrisy!

Karma.........It’s a bitch.
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,969 Senior Member
    Spare the Rod, Spoil the Child.

Laws today let the little brats run roughshod over their parents. That and the parents don't know how to raise children.
    I would like to think these were foster children that didn't care about going back to state foster care.

If they were foster kids, I'd send them back quick. At my age I don't have the patience anymore.

That's a scary story.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    Once you get over 50, its harder to hear all that stuff. It all becomes indistinguishable back ground noise.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,667 Senior Member
    The state has indeed removed the rights of parents to be parents.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,295 Senior Member
    Parents don't parent anymore. Not all, but a fair number. 
  • BamaakIIBamaakII Posts: 274 Member
    Lazy parents who use electronics for babysitting and are then surprised when the kids replicate it.  I would have slapped her right there,  and the little one too.  Child services be damed.  Take em, life is to short.
    This reminds me of a very long plane flight my wife and I were on years back. Flying from London to San Francisco. Across the aisle from us was a woman with 3 small kids. Needless to say, I was NOT happy...
    HOWEVER
    When we got to San Francisco, I took the time to compliment this same woman on her very well behaved children. They're still out there, but rare.

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,047 Senior Member
    BamaakII said:
    Lazy parents who use electronics for babysitting and are then surprised when the kids replicate it.  I would have slapped her right there,  and the little one too.  Child services be damed.  Take em, life is to short.
    Yep.

My wife is a teacher, which was once an honorable profession. Today, she's a glorified underpaid baby-sitter.

Some kids are born bad. That's a fact. Can't blame the parents all the time.

Just most of the time.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,922 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    When the Liberals made beating kids illegal.
    It should have always been illegal to beat a child, I lived it, I know.
    HOWEVER, a good spanking when appropriate is needed, or you may have the OPs situation.

True story:  I was in line at Publix (grocery store)  kid behind me kept putting candy bars in the cart as fast as Mom could take them out. Mom says, I said no candy, I hardly have money for the food.  Kids says,  mom its just a Fing candy bar. Everyone heard the slap. Mom says you will not talk like that.  Right after that the guard, a off duty police officer put Mom in handcuffs.  I was flabbergasted. Started to say something and was told in no uncertain terms to mind my own business.  Told the lady my name, its easy to remember and the only one in the phone book.
    Have no idea of the outcome
    But, that is why kids are how they are today
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Now we're devolving into semantics - but you're right.

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,811 Senior Member
    I saw the same played out in line in front of me at a coffee shop.  Boy and girl (brother and sister) pushing each other so violently they were slamming into other people.  Mom, trying to get control, speaking to them in this meek gentle voice and kids basically cursing her out.  

She finally raised her voice as one of them stepped on my boot, and yelled out “You’re going to hit other people.”.  At that point I looked at the two little **** and said in a loud, deep voice, “They already did...”.  

They both turned around to look at me and basically melted in place, moms face was worth a pot of gold.  I’m pretty sure the look in my face made it clear that I was contemplating how to get rid of their bodies.  Mom sent them off the line and quietly turned around to finish her business and quickly leave.

You don’t have to beat children.  I can count how many times I laid my hands on BOTH of mine with the fingers on one hand and have spare fingers, same with my wife.  When I did it was a quick snap just to get their attention.  BUT, when I spoke to my children my tone and demeanor made it clear swiftly that there was no debating and certainly NO answering back.

My father told me a long time ago that you don’t have to hit your kids if they are truly convinced you’d have no problem killing them.  My father NEVER hit me or my sisters, and I can tell you that even as a grown man, when my father spoke to me I snapped to attention.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

I think I got exactly two out-and-out spankings, and a few slaps. My mother's "Go-go" (rubber thong sandal) was very much feared. Neither of the spankings were deserved *FOR THAT OFFENSE*, but the number of times I didn't get one when I did deserve it more than made up for it. The Liberal promulgated "no spankings" is crap.

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,047 Senior Member
    My father raised 4 of us as a single parent before the term was coined. He never once laid a hand on any of us.

But, when he looked over his glasses at you with "that look", there was no doubt it was time to straighten up and fly right.

When he passed I was 40.......and nothing much had changed.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • Great OutdoorsGreat Outdoors Member Posts: 314 Member
    If those kids had to eat a bar of soap the first time they cursed- it wouldn't have happened in that restaurant. I ate the bar of soap and lost hide off by butt by a belt. I never used bad language in an inappropriate place again.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,636 Senior Member
    I have never been shy about telling kids to knock it off, being self employed you see all kinds of poor behavior, children and adults.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,393 Senior Member
    im an older fart and my parents would not have put up with that.

unfortunately the laws now are you cant do anything physically to your kids. Not sure how that will help in ALL or any situations, but who knows.

There maybe some other issues going on too causing that type of behavior.  I know some may see it as its her or her lack of parenting or whatever, but sometimes the chemicals we consume can cause issues.  Why i say this is that my cousins? (bros wife's nephews) found out that certain food color dyes will cause them to bounce off the walls if they consume them. So they now have to watch out for what they eat.  They can repeat the issue too. 

But ive always thought that just because your have the working equipment to make children, some people should not, but then they spout off "rights" and so forth. 

idk, if the parents have thought/gone through any counseling or ?  but it would be interesting to know what.

My concern is that there are other siblings that may pickup on her attitude and learn they can do the same.  So once that happens, it will just multiply the issue and stress.

on a side note.  If her attitude keeps up and depending on who she POs, she may end up on the side of a road or in a field someplace.

I know a person from HS was a public racist and after a time, someone stuck a knife in him.  but that didnt change his attitude. Unfortunately he lived and didnt learn anything.   but that was years ago and dont know if he still feels the same or is still alive.   I just avoided him since i had way better friends i could hang with.

The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • North ForestNorth Forest Member Posts: 355 Member
    All you have to do is ground them and take away their cell phone, computer, and video game privileges until they demonstrate and commit to a satisfactory level of respect. Its a difficult 36 hrs, kind of like looking after a detox patient going through severe withdrawal, but it works.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,922 Senior Member
    All you have to do is ground them and take away their cell phone, computer, and video game privileges until they demonstrate and commit to a satisfactory level of respect. Its a difficult 36 hrs, kind of like looking after a detox patient going through severe withdrawal, but it works.
    Normally I would agree, but these kids are out of control. Any child telling a parent F you and knowing nothing will happen may be lost. Only way to fix it is for parent to act the same go home, lock the door and then behind closed doors go into drill sergeant mode. Not take their phone, take it and break it in front of them. Disconnect the internet, remove every thing they love. Put a small twin bed in their room, lock accounts, take all cash and have nothing but baloney sandwiches for lunch and dinner, breakfast is plain cereal or oatmeal, no suger.  After a month of acting decent they can begin to earn things back. If they dare attempt to be physical slam them to the ground.  If not, they will remain rotten kids and become rotten adults.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Kids shouldn't have phones in the 1st place.

• Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,054 Senior Member
    I just read yesterday where kids who act up and defy teachers cannot be sent home. The state of CA have given the power to the students. They know they face no recourse or disaplean. Doesn't take long before they realize nothing can happen to them at home  

When I was growing up my old man could slide a 2" belt out of seven Wrangler belt loops and ran out hides in a blink of an eye. He was tough on us three boys  I tasted a few bars of soap. Right, wrong or indifferent I learned right from wrong and understood there would always be consequences for my actions. I respected my elders and disrespect would never be tolerated. So it was for us kids from the 50's, 60' and 70's. Most dads in my neighborhood were cut from the same cloth as my dad, tough but usually fair. Today my dad's actions would be borderline child abuse but we didn't disrespect our elders, police, or teachers we knew better. 

My kids got spanked and ate a bar or soap or two but never got the belt. Mom could swing a wicked Sally the wooden spoon. We maintained disaplean the best we could. 
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • RaftermanRafterman New Member Posts: 233 Member
    I already feel sorry for this girls future significant other, boyfriend and husband.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,167 Senior Member
    There are a couple old pictures from when we were kids of my mother holding a fiberglass fishing arrow...... it wasn't there for decoration.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    The state of CA have given the power to the students.
    As well as taking it away from the parents. I raised a kid in that commie state.

• sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,933 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio said:
    There are a couple old pictures from when we were kids of my mother holding a fiberglass fishing arrow...... it wasn't there for decoration.

There is an old picture of me at 18 months standing on a overturned 5 gallon pail. I'm holding on to a 6' sapling and grinning from ear to ear. My Mother is standing on the other side holding the sapling and a shovel. It was a willow tree. If I had only known the future sting of it's switches! 
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,393 Senior Member
    something else.

since i love horses, i was fascinated with the "horse whisperer" and the natural horsemanship stuff.

But what i took out of that any anything related including people, is that consistence is key and follow up.  

Dont know about how the kids were "trained" but to me but there was some issues in that. grounding, corporal punishment., removal from enviornment, taking away TV/Phone/PC time...ect who knows, but i think that consistancy is good.

and another thing i got out of it, was having their attention and respect.

The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,933 Senior Member
    I'm a 1952 model. There was no public kindergarten. My stay at home Mom had me reading, writing, and doing 1st grade level addition/subtraction at age 4. At age 5 I could go to the creek I/2 mile away by myself. Or with my similar age neighborhood friends. My 5th birthday present was a cheap Timex watch. When I was told to be back at a certain time I had no excuse not to be. My parents were addressed as Mother, Father, Mom, or Dad. I would never have considered talking back to them. My Grandparents  were Grandma and Grandpa. My Aunts and Uncles were "Aunt or Uncle" followed by their first name. All other adults including teachers from 1st grade through community college had a choice of 3 first names. Mr. Miss. or Mrs. I have heard students at the public elementary school not only running around screaming but addressing teachers with FO, or FU!!! We are doomed!  
  • Vic's ViewpointVic's Viewpoint Senior Member Posts: 1,188 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    I saw the same played out in line in front of me at a coffee shop.  Boy and girl (brother and sister) pushing each other so violently they were slamming into other people.  Mom, trying to get control, speaking to them in this meek gentle voice and kids basically cursing her out.  

She finally raised her voice as one of them stepped on my boot, and yelled out “You’re going to hit other people.”.  At that point I looked at the two little **** and said in a loud, deep voice, “They already did...”.  

They both turned around to look at me and basically melted in place, moms face was worth a pot of gold.  I’m pretty sure the look in my face made it clear that I was contemplating how to get rid of their bodies.  Mom sent them off the line and quietly turned around to finish her business and quickly leave.

My father told me a long time ago that you don’t have to hit your kids if they are truly convinced you’d have no problem killing them.  My father NEVER hit me or my sisters, and I can tell you that even as a grown man, when my father spoke to me I snapped to attention.

GunNut said:

You don’t have to beat children.  I can count how many times I laid my hands on BOTH of mine with the fingers on one hand and have spare fingers, same with my wife.  When I did it was a quick snap just to get their attention.  BUT, when I spoke to my children my tone and demeanor made it clear swiftly that there was no debating and certainly NO answering back.

GunNut said:

Member formerly known as "vlafrank."
  • Vic's ViewpointVic's Viewpoint Senior Member Posts: 1,188 Senior Member
    What Gun Nut said!  His child rearing practices and philosophy are both unassailable.
    Member formerly known as "vlafrank."