Home Main Category Clubhouse

Metal works of them olden days...

GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,776 Senior Member
I find myself with a growing interest in older cutlery and associated accouterments of the 1800s.  Kind'a like the stuff your average guy 100+ years before my time would have used in his daily life.  

Part of it is my renewed interest in the game of SASS and the "persona" aspect of the game, part of it is my rediscovered love for my cowboy days which I intend to go back to early in 2020, but also because, well I just LOVE old stuff (he says as he sips coffee made in a Guardian Service drip coffee pot from the 1940-50s).

My latest pickups.  The knife and fork are normal table ware for the early to mid 1800s.  The company Ibbotson Globeworks operated out of Sheffield England and this knife/fork set according to my research is from circa 1820s.  The Letter Opener is from the longest operating American Cutlery company Lamson, Goodnow and is probably 1860-1890s vintage.  

I intend to restore them to a slightly better condition without taking much of their "character" off and then I intend to eat with the fork and knife (I still need to find a period spoon to go with the set) and the letter opener will live on my desk for daily use.  The handles are very old stag and the letter opener is real bone.

Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

Replies

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,776 Senior Member

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    Cool!

I think Dixie Gun Works has some replica stuff. Maybe you can pick up some old Ideal tong loaders for your saddle bags. Be cool to have some genuine candle lights.
    Cool!

I think Dixie Gun Works has some replica stuff. Maybe you can pick up some old Ideal tong loaders for your saddle bags. Be cool to have some genuine candle lights.

Actually lots of the real stuff on eBay for really decent prices!  Everyone wants old spurs and bits, but the rest of the trappings can still be had for pretty cheap in good working order.  These items still have a few centuries of use left in them.

• orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,109 Senior Member
    I will have a look in the accumulated stuff both my father and grandfather left behind for me to clean up. There is a whole bunch of excess cutlery in a box somewhere dating back to the 20's.........
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 4,265 Senior Member
    That will be a fun collection .
    Could build a log cabin & fill it with things from that time ...... just an idea !   :)
    Old Ron said:
    Could build a log cabin & fill it with things from that time ...... just an idea !   :)
    Funny you should bring that up.  In January we take our first trip to a new area with the intent on looking for some land.  I want to start working on my exit from civilization... 

edited December 2019 #8
    orchidman said:
    I will have a look in the accumulated stuff both my father and grandfather left behind for me to clean up. There is a whole bunch of excess cutlery in a box somewhere dating back to the 20's.........
    Wow a treasure hunt!  Wish I was there with you!!!!!

• Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,054 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    I find myself with a growing interest in older cutlery and associated accouterments of the 1800s.  Kind'a like the stuff your average guy 100+ years before my time would have used in his daily life.  

Part of it is my renewed interest in the game of SASS and the "persona" aspect of the game, part of it is my rediscovered love for my cowboy days which I intend to go back to early in 2020, but also because, well I just LOVE old stuff (he says as he sips coffee made in a Guardian Service drip coffee pot from the 1940-50s).

My latest pickups.  The knife and fork are normal table ware for the early to mid 1800s.  The company Ibbotson Globeworks operated out of Sheffield England and this knife/fork set according to my research is from circa 1820s.  The Letter Opener is from the longest operating American Cutlery company Lamson, Goodnow and is probably 1860-1890s vintage.  

I intend to restore them to a slightly better condition without taking much of their "character" off and then I intend to eat with the fork and knife (I still need to find a period spoon to go with the set) and the letter opener will live on my desk for daily use.  The handles are very old stag and the letter opener is real bone.

You and I think very much a like.  I like the older blades and cutters. I'm looking for a early 20th century bread slicer I can find and refurbish to working condition.  

Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • BamaakIIBamaakII Posts: 274 Member
    Nice but gonna be tough to eat peas and corn with that fork.
    BamaakII said:
    That’s why I’m looking for a period spoon to go with it.  These eating utensils were made for meat, potatoes and other root type vegetables which were a more common meal in those days.

GunNut said:

You and I think very much a like.  I like the older blades and cutters. I'm looking for a early 20th century bread slicer I can find and refurbish to working condition.  

Ok that’s freaking AWESOME!!!

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,087 Senior Member
    edited December 2019 #13
    So, when are you going to start shaving with a straight razor?

When you do, you need to get a bottle of this to go with it
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZGI3RI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

edited to add: Yes I shave with straight razors and yes I normally finish with a splash of this
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

knitepoet said:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZGI3RI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

edited to add: Yes I shave with straight razors and yes I normally finish with a splash of this
    I’ve been looking at some straight razor options.  I’m just so used to shaving in the shower that I’m reticent to try to add time to my routine.  And you can’t rush shaving with a straight razor.  Maybe on special occasions.

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,654 Senior Member
    I'm toying with the idea of getting my beard lasered off permanently. Shaving sucks!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,904 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    Old Ron said:
    Funny you should bring that up.  In January we take our first trip to a new area with the intent on looking for some land.  I want to start working on my exit from civilization... 
    Why is it that I just can't see Mrs. GunNut living as an off the grid prepper?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,087 Senior Member
    edited December 2019 #17
    Diver43 said:
    Why is it that I just can't see Mrs. GunNut living as an off the grid prepper?
    Could it be her NYC accent? :D:D 
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Oh it won’t be off the grid.  A girl still needs her manicures.  But I’ll be spending more time in a cabin, shop or woods while she tends to the chickens 😁

zorba said:
    I'm toying with the idea of getting my beard lasered off permanently. Shaving sucks!
    Has never been a big chore for me.  I have always shaved in the shower and I like facial hair and so does my wife, so I’ve never been a “daily shaver”.   Current facial hair configuration is easy keeps...

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,654 Senior Member
    Yea, I had a beard for many years simply because I dislike shaving - but wife got tired of it. *shrug* When I was 18 or 19 years old, I was holding my breathe - it was starting to look like I was going to be one of the very few lucky ones able to side step the whole issue. Then the facial hair came in with a vengeance!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,916 Senior Member
    edited December 2019 #21
    Nice grab on the utensils...back when I was in the Buckskinning scene, I had knife fork and spoon with pewter handles with whale bone scales...if I knew where they were I'd send them to you...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,028 Senior Member
    BamaakII said:
    "I like peas with honey.
    I know that may sound funny.
    But it keeps them on my knife".

Unknown 17th century poet

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    GunNut said:
    zorba said:
    Has never been a big chore for me.  I have always shaved in the shower and I like facial hair and so does my wife, so I’ve never been a “daily shaver”.   Current facial hair configuration is easy keeps...

Dude.....gunpics.....knife pics....holster pics......road-kill pics......anything.
    But close-up selfies????
    Please quit before I make you quit.
    Mike
    N454casull
    GunNut said:
    zorba said:

Dude.....gunpics.....knife pics....holster pics......road-kill pics......anything.
    But close-up selfies????
    Mike
    You’re just envious of my rugged good looks and righteous soup strainer... 😎

Jayhawker said:
    Nice grab on the utensils...back when I was in the Buckskinning scene, I had knife fork and spoon with pewter handles with whale bone scales...if I knew where they were I'd send them to you...
    Those sound amazing!  Where on God’s earth did you get them?

BamaakII said:
    "I like peas with honey.
    I know that may sound funny.
    But it keeps them on my knife".

Unknown 17th century poet

Mike
    Cool!  Actually using the knife as a way to eat peas and such was a common practice too back then.

GunNut said:
    GunNut said:
    zorba said:

But close-up selfies????
    Mike
    I just don't know how to answer that, so please re-read my previous post.........

Mike

N454casull
    GunNut said:
    GunNut said:
    zorba said:

But close-up selfies????
    Mike
    I just don't know how to answer that, so please re-read my previous post.........

Mike

Just joking around, sorry, where you serious?  

Of course not!!!!  You know me better than that.......

BTW, some of the best steel you'll ever buy can often be found at large antique stores that specialize in high $$$ furniture. They often don't know what they have (since it's not furniture) and toss the stuff in a wicker basket as "decor" alongside the bed they're trying to sell for $4K.

In Des Moines, I bought a turn-of-the century honing steel, that I'd have gladly paid $100 for, for 97 cents.

And sorry for the confusion. It's easy to forget in the comfort of friends, the written word doesn't have the same inflection of voice that beside a fireplace has.

Mike
    N454casull
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,828 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    knitepoet said:

I’ve been looking at some straight razor options.  I’m just so used to shaving in the shower that I’m reticent to try to add time to my routine.  And you can’t rush shaving with a straight razor.  Maybe on special occasions.
    A straight razor gives the best shave ever.  It's not fast, it's not easy, and nicks are going to happen if the job is rushed or the blade is not sharp enough.
    No good deed goes unpunished...
    Of course not!!!!  You know me better than that.......

BTW, some of the best steel you'll ever buy can often be found at large antique stores that specialize in high $$$ furniture. They often don't know what they have (since it's not furniture) and toss the stuff in a wicker basket as "decor" alongside the bed they're trying to sell for $4K.

In Des Moines, I bought a turn-of-the century honing steel, that I'd have gladly paid $100 for, for 97 cents.

And sorry for the confusion. It's easy to forget in the comfort of friends, the written word doesn't have the same inflection of voice that beside a fireplace has.

Mike
    Oh thank God!  Would it kill you to throw a smiley at the end of tour post?  I thought your wife’s cat’s ghost had taken over your keyboard!!!!! 🤣🤣

That’s a great tip!!!  A new place to look.  Thanks!