Home Main Category Clubhouse

Metal works of them olden days...

2»

Replies

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,829 Senior Member
    Gila said:
    GunNut said:
    knitepoet said:
    So, when are you going to start shaving with a straight razor?

When you do, you need to get a bottle of this to go with it
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZGI3RI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

edited to add: Yes I shave with straight razors and yes I normally finish with a splash of this
    I’ve been looking at some straight razor options.  I’m just so used to shaving in the shower that I’m reticent to try to add time to my routine.  And you can’t rush shaving with a straight razor.  Maybe on special occasions.
    A straight razor gives the best shave ever.  It's not fast, it's not easy, and nicks are going to happen if the job is rushed or the blade is not sharp enough.
    I’ve had it done professionally and I swear it took two days for stubble to even come out of my skin!  Nest shaves I’ve ever had!
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,051 Senior Member
    edited January 1 #33
    GunNut said:
    Of course not!!!!  You know me better than that.......

BTW, some of the best steel you'll ever buy can often be found at large antique stores that specialize in high $$$ furniture. They often don't know what they have (since it's not furniture) and toss the stuff in a wicker basket as "decor" alongside the bed they're trying to sell for $4K.

In Des Moines, I bought a turn-of-the century honing steel, that I'd have gladly paid $100 for, for 97 cents.

And sorry for the confusion. It's easy to forget in the comfort of friends, the written word doesn't have the same inflection of voice that beside a fireplace has.

Mike
    Oh thank God!  Would it kill you to throw a smiley at the end of tour post?  I thought your wife’s cat’s ghost had taken over your keyboard!!!!! 🤣🤣

That’s a great tip!!!  A new place to look.  Thanks!
    And just to clear the air....

I don't find you as attractive as my wife does... ;)

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    edited January 1 #34
    GunNut said:
    Jayhawker said:
    Nice grab on the utensils...back when I was in the Buckskinning scene, I had knife fork and spoon with pewter handles with whale bone scales...if I knew where they were I'd send them to you...
    Those sound amazing!  Where on God’s earth did you get them?
    Most of my sundries and accoutrements came from little out of the way antique stores. Actually found an original British Army issue Knapping Hammer at a place in the U.P. near Ft. Michilimackinac (Think for a Brown Bess)
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    GunNut said:
    Of course not!!!!  You know me better than that.......

BTW, some of the best steel you'll ever buy can often be found at large antique stores that specialize in high $$$ furniture. They often don't know what they have (since it's not furniture) and toss the stuff in a wicker basket as "decor" alongside the bed they're trying to sell for $4K.

In Des Moines, I bought a turn-of-the century honing steel, that I'd have gladly paid $100 for, for 97 cents.

And sorry for the confusion. It's easy to forget in the comfort of friends, the written word doesn't have the same inflection of voice that beside a fireplace has.

Mike
    Oh thank God!  Would it kill you to throw a smiley at the end of tour post?  I thought your wife’s cat’s ghost had taken over your keyboard!!!!! 🤣🤣

That’s a great tip!!!  A new place to look.  Thanks!
    And just to clear the air....

I don't find you as attractive as my wife does... ;)

Mike
    Liar 😘

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

Jayhawker said:
    GunNut said:
    Jayhawker said:
    Nice grab on the utensils...back when I was in the Buckskinning scene, I had knife fork and spoon with pewter handles with whale bone scales...if I knew where they were I'd send them to you...
    Those sound amazing!  Where on God’s earth did you get them?
    Most of my sundries and accoutrements came from little out of the way antique stores. Actually found an original British Army issue Knapping Hammer at a place in the U.P. near Ft. Michilimackinac (Think for a Brown Bess)
    That’s a GREAT find!!!  I love crawling around those little stores.  My wife hates me when we walk into one of those.  I usually come out covered in dirt and rust 🤣

• rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,660 Senior Member
    I found a very nice Case kitchen knife in a second hand store in Port Orchard Wa. some years back, paid a dollar for it and its value was about 50.00 at the time.
    Jeff check ebay.

GunNut.......

IME, if looking for things you actually want to use.....ignore the "smaller", "quaint" antique shops. They specialize in trinkets that tourists in the area want to buy. 

Cast iron cookware, great blades, antique tools......go to the higher priced antique places you have available. They want to sell a few antique $6K dining tables that day, but  it's not likely to happen. So, if you don't show much interest in one, the other stuff goes cheap, :)

Mike

N454casull
    rberglof said:
    I found a very nice Case kitchen knife in a second hand store in Port Orchard Wa. some years back, paid a dollar for it and its value was about 50.00 at the time.
    Jeff check ebay.

I didn't know that Case even made kitchen cutlery until I ran across a boning knife stamped Case in an antique store. I paid, IIRC, ~$5. I tossed it into the junk box in the man cave, and haven't looked at it since.

I will soon be revisiting that one.

Thanks for the reminder.  :)

Mike 
    N454casull
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,056 Senior Member
    rberglof said:
    Jeff check ebay.

Thanks, I've seen that one, smaller opening than I want.  I keep looking for one that's near non-working but has all the pieces/parts and I'll refurbish it.  They have them already done, they look great, just looking for a nice winters project.
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
    GunNut.......

IME, if looking for things you actually want to use.....ignore the "smaller", "quaint" antique shops. They specialize in trinkets that tourists in the area want to buy. 

Cast iron cookware, great blades, antique tools......go to the higher priced antique places you have available. They want to sell a few antique $6K dining tables that day, but  it's not likely to happen. So, if you don't show much interest in one, the other stuff goes cheap, :)

Mike

That’s a great tip!  We have some around here I have not explored yet.  Thanks!

rberglof said:
    Jeff check ebay.

I didn't know that Case even made kitchen cutlery until I ran across a boning knife stamped Case in an antique store. I paid, IIRC, ~$5. I tossed it into the junk box in the man cave, and haven't looked at it since.

I will soon be revisiting that one.

Thanks for the reminder.  :)

Mike 
    I bump into good deals on Case kitchen knives on eBay.  I’ll send you some links if I see anything good!

Cool. Thx. :)
    N454casull
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,112 Senior Member
    Been fossicking downstairs and found these..............

The one second from the top in pic no 2 is marked Venetian Silver and bears the hallmarks of the following company......

If you scroll down the page in the link it will show you the following marks.....
    ( I took the liberty of cleaning it slightly with some silver polish to make them readable)
    I think its from the late 18th century but the web page for Deykin & Sons isnt clear...........

Will keep looking for a bone handled one to try and match the knife and fork.......

Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    You guys need to look for one marked with this.

Revere
    Also found a soup spoon and 3 teaspoons, all with different marks on them..........

.........Along with a matching pair of these.................

edited January 2 #47
    WOW, some seriously cool stuff!!!

BTW, Happy New Year brother!

GunNut said:

And a happy new year to you and yours.
    Just about to head out and chase some deer and rabbits......will pm you when I get back.......
    orchidman said:
    GunNut said:

Just about to head out and chase some deer and rabbits......will pm you when I get back.......
    I’m a little jealous.  Have a great time!

• GilaGila Posts: 1,828 Senior Member

Revere
    My mother had all Guardian Ware pots and pans.  That was some quality.  I don't have a clue as to what happened to them.
    No good deed goes unpunished...
    GunNut said:
    orchidman said:
    GunNut said:

No need to be jealous. We only got 3 rabbits, a wild cat....and 2 Fallow deer bucks............ :D .
    Gila said:

Revere
    My mother had all Guardian Ware pots and pans.  That was some quality.  I don't have a clue as to what happened to them.
    So did my grandma.  I still make coffee in an original Guardian Service drip coffee pot that is probably 70-80 years old and I have a couple of my grandmas old pots in the house.  If you miss them, there are buttloads of them on eBay.

orchidman said:
    GunNut said:
    orchidman said:
    GunNut said:

No need to be jealous. We only got 3 rabbits, a wild cat....and 2 Fallow deer bucks............ :D .
    You're killing' me Smalls... I'm sitting at home waiting for my video conference call to start. :s  

GunNut said:
    orchidman said:
    GunNut said:
    orchidman said:
    GunNut said:

You're killing' me Smalls... I'm sitting at home waiting for my video conference call to start. :s  

We can do video conference calls from NZ...........Just saying..........
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,744 Senior Member
    edited January 2 #55
    Could be the reason the knife has a spatulate blade is so it could be used as a spoon.  Forks for personal use didn't come into use until well after the Revolutionary War, according to Jas. Townsend a guy who cooks food in the 18th century  way.  Very interesting guy.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,098 Senior Member
    orchidman said:

I'm in love <3<3<3
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Gene L said:
    Could be the reason the knife has a spatulate blade is so it could be used as a spoon.  Forks for personal use didn't come into use until well after the Revolutionary War, according to Jas. Townsend a guy who cooks food in the 18th century  way.  Very interesting guy.
    Seems he is correct on the timeframe of fork adoption.  Also on the shape of the knife.

From Wikipedia:

"The fork's adoption in northern Europe was slower. Its use was first described in English by Thomas Coryat in a volume of writings on his Italian travels (1611), but for many years it was viewed as an unmanly Italian affectation.[13] Some writers of the Roman Catholic Church expressly disapproved of its use, St. Peter Damianseeing it as "excessive delicacy":[9] It was not until the 18th century that the fork became commonly used in Great Britain,[14] although some sources say that forks were common in France, England and Sweden already by the early 17th century.[15][16][dubious – discuss]

The fork did not become popular in North America until near the time of the American Revolution.[2] The standard four-tine design became current in the early 19th century."

• GilaGila Posts: 1,828 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    Gila said:

Revere
    So did my grandma.  I still make coffee in an original Guardian Service drip coffee pot that is probably 70-80 years old and I have a couple of my grandmas old pots in the house.  If you miss them, there are buttloads of them on eBay.
    I do, but I've got all cast iron everything now, and that will do me.
    No good deed goes unpunished...
    knitepoet said:
    orchidman said:

I'm in love <3<3<3

I'm gonna tell Cindy............ :D
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,098 Senior Member
    edited January 3 #60
    orchidman said:
    I'm gonna tell Cindy............ :D
    She knows I love classic straight razors :p
    (She should, she's seen me work on restoring enough of them)
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.