Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

NRA (Not Real Activism) and Virginia...?

JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior MemberPosts: 6,583 Senior Member
Am I way off base, but has NRA been eerily quiet during this whole attack on the 2A in the Old Dominion? 

The latest issue of American Rifleman went straight to the trash without turning a page.  The front cover was an ad for all their stupid coinage one can buy if they like garbage.
“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

Replies

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,309 Senior Member
    The NRA has been silent on pretty much everything since this whole Wayne La Pierre fiasco became top news.

Which is stupid.  They should focus on the core business to recover. 
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Western PAPosts: 8,233 Senior Member
    edited January 2020 #3
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,908 Senior Member
    They phone me about once a month for a donation, and I get tons of mail from them for the same.  I get the American Hunter, so it has a different cover.
    No good deed goes unpunished...
  • PFDPFD Senior Member PNWPosts: 1,840 Senior Member
    On the last request to re-up my NRA dues, I wrote 'Not until Wayne is gone' and sent it in.
    That's all I got.

Paul
    So, this is a complaint thread about the NRA not doing anything. A 15 second search shows they are, and they are still the bad guy.

hoooo kay
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • AccipiterAccipiter New Member Posts: 898 Senior Member
    Some people have figured the NRA out.  Some people have not.  Some people are just waking up to the truth, and some never will.
    Apparently free thought is punished, and conformity is required, while peckerless cowards run the show.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

Ah......One savors the hypocrisy!

Karma.........It’s a bitch.
    edited January 2020 #8
    Sooo, they are not assisting in VA? Which is the complaint.

As a question, which other org is doing anything in VA, and what are they doing?
    Interesting - The NRA's headquarters is in Fairfax, VA.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member

As a question, which other org is doing anything in VA, and what are they doing?

Here is what GOA and the Virginia Citizens Defense League reached out to the Virginia General Assembly...

Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • BamaakIIBamaakII Posts: 479 Member
    The NRA had a rally today in Richmond.  They passed out 1000 Magpul 30 round mags ( donated by Magpul)
    edited January 2020 #12

Here is what GOA and the Virginia Citizens Defense League reached out to the Virginia General Assembly...

Great, second amendment group sends a letter while the training org sets up rallys.....

Its another case of hypocrisy writ large. Another demonstrable case where the NRA is doing what they said they would, in a much bigger way than any other group, yet the bashers on here are so "woke" that the NRA is bad that they are willing to blindly neuter themselves because someone bought suits.

I have problems with how the NRA does some things, well beyond their 2A work, doesnt mean I am sending my life membership back.

• zorbazorba Senior Member Merrritt Island, FLPosts: 25,219 Senior Member
    Varmintmist has a point, OTOH, the continued stonewalling by the NRA over Wayne increases the "problem" exponentially. The rat is starting to stink - and stuffed suits, overpriced or otherwise, don't impress me.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
    If the Virginia Citizens Defense League has the membership and resources the Arizona Citizens Defense League has, they should be able to survive the Bloomberg onslaught.  If they don't, then they need to learn how we deal with this in Arizona.

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member

Great, second amendment group sends a letter while the training org sets up rallys.....

So the NRA is just a training organization now?

You asked what other organizations are doing. I pointed out that at least a couple are active. Here is what the Virginia Citizens Defense League has been and is doing....

They are the grass roots that are organizing the Lobby Day Rally and the Sanctuary towns/cities/counties.

I am sure if I looked around, I would find more that GOA is doing beyond writing a letter. And they aren't the only ones, but I do not care enough to dig into it. Maybe if I lived in Virginia, I would. 

Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,696 Senior Member
    The impression I'm getting is that the locals are pretty well organized against this, and that the NRA is there by virtue of its members causing the pushback . . .which I think might be the ultimate point:  Why spend a zillion dollars organizing when your members (or sympathizers) are perfectly happy to fire up their "contacts" list and run the ball for you?  We've already got what - 90 out of 95 - counties saying "NO!"  We've got folks on the other side of the country saying "If you need me, I'll come".

There is a certain "optics" advantage to "Big Corporate NRA" staying relatively quiet and letting "Little Grassroots NRA" handle it.  Whether or not that's the intended thing, I can't say, but people acting to solve their own problems without looking for outside help ain't a bad thing.

Save the cash for the legal challenges.  The demonstrations and Northam recall efforts will take care of themselves.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Merrritt Island, FLPosts: 25,219 Senior Member
    Never thought of it that way, BigSlug. You have a point.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • BamaakIIBamaakII Posts: 479 Member
    Gov. Blackface has declared a state of emergency for Mondays protest.  Banned guns from the event.  Tar and feathers are still allowed I think.

So the NRA is just a training organization now?

You asked what other organizations are doing. I pointed out that at least a couple are active. Here is what the Virginia Citizens Defense League has been and is doing....

They are the grass roots that are organizing the Lobby Day Rally and the Sanctuary towns/cities/counties.

I am sure if I looked around, I would find more that GOA is doing beyond writing a letter. And they aren't the only ones, but I do not care enough to dig into it. Maybe if I lived in Virginia, I would. 

It has ALWAYS been a training org first. The 2A part didnt start until about 100 years into the organizations lifetime. They still do it as well as host the NRA matches. One of the problems I have with them is they are getting farther removed from running the matches and tried to one up the CMP. There was a kerfuffle and now there are two National Matches and 2 ranking systems. Not necessarily a bad thing, more places to shoot, but it wasnt necessary.

E.G. FYI, that is 50k PER school, 6 schools.Pennlive is a left stroking website so for this to show up and get a neutral article is amazing.
    It took 15 seconds on a interweb search to show the NRA is involved in VA. You will have to look around and find the GOA, thats the point, you have to look. Not to bust their hump, but the 800lb gorilla is the NRA and they have the manpower and the infrastructure to take it to Newsome.
    Sitting back and saying they dont do anything is foolish when it is so demonstrably a false statement.

Bigslug said:
    The impression I'm getting is that the locals are pretty well organized against this, and that the NRA is there by virtue of its members causing the pushback . . .which I think might be the ultimate point:  Why spend a zillion dollars organizing when your members (or sympathizers) are perfectly happy to fire up their "contacts" list and run the ball for you?  We've already got what - 90 out of 95 - counties saying "NO!"  We've got folks on the other side of the country saying "If you need me, I'll come".

There is a certain "optics" advantage to "Big Corporate NRA" staying relatively quiet and letting "Little Grassroots NRA" handle it.  Whether or not that's the intended thing, I can't say, but people acting to solve their own problems without looking for outside help ain't a bad thing.

Save the cash for the legal challenges.  The demonstrations and Northam recall efforts will take care of themselves.

The locals are organized, more so by the NRA. If you get 30 people in a hall to agree about something that is organizing. The trick is to combine those halls out there with each other and have the plan in place to do a "GO" right now.

NRAs web page on the VA ban only, linked from their facebook coverage of the VA ban

Seriously, you have to work hard to be able to not see them helping.