Home Main Category General Firearms

I caved on a C308.

ZeeZee Posts: 28,409 Senior Member
edited January 2020 in General Firearms #1
Been eyeballing this sucker for a month at my LGS. It has an upgraded forend w/bipod and cheek piece. They aren’t the greatest guns in the world. But, it’s a poor man’s way to a semblance of my work HK-MSG90 that I truly love. 

So, she is in purgatory. 

I added the ACOG for the pic. I took it up to the gun store and tried it on. See if it fit and the cheek weld worked. It did and that was the selling point. I already have an optic for it now. You know. I had the optic. Needed a gun for it. 
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Sweet!  Always wanted one of those.  Interested in your range report!
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Posts: 6,583 Senior Member
    Cool grab. 
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • ZeeZee Posts: 28,409 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    Sweet!  Always wanted one of those.  Interested in your range report!
    I’ve read good and bad. So, it’s with much trepidation that I proceed. 

I ain’t expecting precision. I just want it to work. It’s more of a cosmetic toy to fill a childish desire. As long as it works and can kill a deer inside 200 yards......I’ll call it a win. 
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 12,758 Senior Member
    I have checked those out several times but held back as I know nothing about them.  Now I know of a guy..
    Looking forward to your report
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Diver43 said:
    I have checked those out several times but held back as I know nothing about them.  Now I know of a guy..
    Looking forward to your report
    Hero or Zero. We will see. 
  • snake284snake284 Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    Been eyeballing this sucker for a month at my LGS. It has an upgraded forend w/bipod and cheek piece. They aren’t the greatest guns in the world. But, it’s a poor man’s way to a semblance of my work HK-MSG90 that I truly love. 

So, she is in purgatory. 

I added the ACOG for the pic. I took it up to the gun store and tried it on. See if it fit and the cheek weld worked. It did and that was the selling point. I already have an optic for it now. Yout u know. I had the optic. Needed a gun for it. 
    Pardon my ignorance but I'm not real persnikative on ARs, AKs and all in between, well not yet. I am learning. But if I might ask, what is an ACOG?
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    Intriguing.
    How does it work???
    snake284 said:
    Pardon my ignorance but I'm not real persnikative on ARs, AKs and all in between, well not yet. I am learning. But if I might ask, what is an ACOG?
    Trijicon ACOG is a make/model of scope. 
    Intriguing.
    How does it work???
    “Unlike the AR10 of the time, the CETME/G3 is a roller-delayed blowback action instead of a direct gas impingement system. With the AR10, or more current AR15 design, hot gas from the burning of gun powder is syphoned back into the system via a gas block and gas tube. This gas pressurizes the system which operates the bolt by unlocking the bolt from the barrel extension. This also propels the bolt to the rear which extracts and ejects the spent casing. With the CETME/G3 design, the firearm operates by the spent casing pushing back on the bolt assembly. It is delayed by a two-piece bolt assembly that works with spring-loaded rollers to delay bolt travel until the chamber reaches safe pressure levels.  H&K stuck with that design, and it can still be found in multiple firearm designs, most notably the MP5 sub-machine gun which most people would immediately recognize.“
    Sounds like it may be easier to clean. 
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Posts: 18,360 Senior Member
    I like the CETME/G3 Platform...they are reasonably accurate for a battle rifle and function well...and they used to be fairly cheap...I remember picking up 5 new magazines for 20 bucks.

Couple of things though...they are hard (really hard) on brass and the bolt doesn't stay open on the last shot...

Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Gene LGene L Posts: 12,817 Senior Member
    edited January 2020 #13
    About 15 years ago, I had a CETME with the wooden stock.  I took it to the range for a function/zero check, I fired 5 rounds @ 100 yards, not really concentrating on accuracy.  To my amazement, 4 rounds were in an inch, a perfect square, and the other was out...can't remember where or how far.  I figured it was a happy accident and after only a few un-aimed rounds, which caused the wood to heat up and smoke.  I sold it shortly afterward. 

In the 1980s, I had an HK 91.  Never could get handy with cleaning the bolt.  Wish I had it now, although firing it from prone would smack my cheekbone.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    Jayhawker said:
    I like the CETME/G3 Platform...they are reasonably accurate for a battle rifle and function well...and they used to be fairly cheap...I remember picking up 5 new magazines for 20 bucks.

Couple of things though...they are hard (really hard) on brass and the bolt doesn't stay open on the last shot...

IIRC Zee owns about 7 Trillion .308 brass cases.

What kind of accuracy do you get out of your work HK?
  • snake284snake284 Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    edited January 2020 #16
    Zee said:
    snake284 said:

Thanks. With Scopes anything outside of Leupold, Nikon, and Weaver I'm at a loss. Is that it in the picture mounted on the gun? If so that reminds me of one of those Burris fancy scopes with all the bells and whistles.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Sounds like it may be easier to clean. 
    Actually, it’s not. The bolt assembly does not come apart as easy or as much as an AR. 
    The flip side, it doesn’t get as dirty. 
    So, a trade off. 
    Jayhawker said:

Yeah, brass is sacrificed to the Devil from this design rifle. But.........I have a few that need sacrificing. 
    The bolt not staying open is a pain on my HK53 because of its intended use. On the MSG90 and this gun, which are more of a few rounds at a time rifle.....not really an issue. 
    Gene L said:
    I figured it was a happy accident and after only a few un-aimed rounds, which caused the wood to heat up and smoke.  I sold it shortly afterward. 

In the 1980s, I had an HK 91.  Never could get handy with cleaning the bolt.  Wish I had it now, although firing it from prone would smack my cheekbone.
    Your wood forend probably didn’t have a heat shield. Neither the wood or synthetic factory stock of the C308 (and I believe CETME) come with heat shields.  That’s why I was interested in the one I got because it had a rather expensive upgraded forend With heat shield and bipod.  Which should help greatly while shooting. It also comes with the original thin forend. 
    GunNut said:

What kind of accuracy do you get out of your work HK?
    1/2 MOA from the MSG90. 
  • JKPJKP Posts: 2,771 Senior Member
    Planning a trigger job?
    snake284 said:
    Zee said:
    snake284 said:

Thanks. With Scopes anything outside of Leupold, Nikon, and Weaver I'm at a loss. Is that it in the picture mounted on the gun? If so that reminds me of one of those Burris fancy scopes with all the bells and whistles.
    Yes, it’s in the picture. 

It’s nothing like a Burris Eliminator. I would not own one of those. 
    You could probably beat a Burris scope to a pulp using an ACOG and not hurt the ACOG much at all. They are pretty bomb proof and robust. 
    The reticle has tritium and fiber optic for illuminating in low light. 
    They are not a long range optic. But, they assuredly are an “battle optic”. 
    JKP said:
    Planning a trigger job?
    Yeah. The factory trigger sucks!!😳

Gonna shoot it first and see if the reliability and potential accuracy warrant a trigger swap. 
    It looks hungry. Like maybe a wood packed case of food in the pantry hungry.
    Zee said:
    Jayhawker said:

Yeah, brass is sacrificed to the Devil from this design rifle. But.........I have a few that need sacrificing. 
    The bolt not staying open is a pain on my HK53 because of its intended use. On the MSG90 and this gun, which are more of a few rounds at a time rifle.....not really an issue. 
    Yep...not like you're going to (intentionally) get into a fire fight with the thing...though you would have thought after all these years HK would have figured that out....

I have seen some of those old oil soaked wooden handguards actually catch fire when the shooter was really leaning on it at the range....nothing like including a fire extinguisher in your range bag... :)
  • AccipiterAccipiter Posts: 898 Senior Member
    If I may ask, without revealing anything too sensitive, what role does the MSG90 play at work.  Is it used in more of an overwatch role, to hold a static position, LP/OP, or is it used in patrol to add a battle rifle to the carbines carried by most?  Where you operate, I can see the advantage to having the added range.
    Apparently free thought is punished, and conformity is required, while peckerless cowards run the show.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

Ah......One savors the hypocrisy!

Karma.........It’s a bitch.
  • SpkSpk Posts: 4,836 Senior Member
    Looking forward to seeing what it does on the range.
    👍
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• Gene LGene L Posts: 12,817 Senior Member
    It will mark the brass, but I don't think it will destroy it.  I remember that Survivalist Mel? Tappan(?) writing about this issue, and IIRC, he said it was marked but still reloadable.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • AccipiterAccipiter Posts: 898 Senior Member
    I bought a truckload of used LC military brass this past year.  Some of it was chewed up pretty bad.  I thought is was damaged beyond recovery.  I was amazed at some of the damage that came out when run threw the press.
    Apparently free thought is punished, and conformity is required, while peckerless cowards run the show.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

Ah......One savors the hypocrisy!

Karma.........It’s a bitch.
    My CETME would put a dent in most of my brass and would occasionally bend the case to the point that it was trashed.

Most of the fodder that I used came in either Argentine or South African Battle Packs....cheap enough that I didn't worry about saving the brass...
  • JKPJKP Posts: 2,771 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    JKP said:
    Planning a trigger job?
    Yeah. The factory trigger sucks!!😳

Gonna shoot it first and see if the reliability and potential accuracy warrant a trigger swap. 
    Trigger has always stopped me when I've considered these and the PTR in the past. Looking forward to your results.