Home Main Category General Firearms

I just figured out

ojrojr Senior MemberPosts: 1,274 Senior Member
edited January 2020 in General Firearms #1
That I don't have a USA made hunting rifle in my cabinet
I had a Remington BDL in 30 06 but it shot so well that naturally I mucked with it and made it into a 6.5 06, I mean doesn't everybody.
I have a couple of Husqvarna 1600's one in 9.3 x 62 and another in 30 06
A couple of Sako's both in 6.5x55
A Cz,
 A Tikka 1-8 twist 223 
and My Shotguns are either Spanish [SxS]
Beretta, auto
Japanese, U/O

So I looked about as I want one in 30 06, it seems it is near impossible to get a 30 06 off the shelf in this country so I will have to order one.
Now it gets tricky
Remington CDL/BDL seem to be still American made
Browning Rifles, not sure
Winchester Rifles,not sure either.

These are the three brands I'm tossing up with,not going down the Savage route.
 Any will be an order for that caliber so I need advice please, all need to be Walnut Blued.

If you had the  choice  would you purchase a new [ not on past reputation] 30 06 in Walnut Blue in
Remington CDL 24" barrel
Remington BDL 22" barrel
Winchester Featherweight 22" barrel
Winchester Sporter 24" barrel
Browning Hunter 22" barrel
Browning Medallion 22" barrel

I have to say this will be a good weather hunting rifle where possible, I have a Finnlight for the rugged winter stuff and I intend to use this out of the box as far as is possible for me.I don't wish to spend hundreds on getting it to shoot.

Which way would you guys go?

The flight was uneventful, which is what one wants when one is transporting an Elephant.
 Reuters, Dec 2020.

Replies

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,204 Senior Member
    Why no Rugers?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
  • ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 1,274 Senior Member
    edited January 2020 #4
    The only reason is it  would have to be the  Walnut/ Blued model though and a quick search of the Ruger site before I posted generated no 30 06 in Walnut Blued
    https://www.ruger.com/search/
    I could definitely go this though
    https://www.ruger.com/products/HawkeyeAfrican/models.html
    But I already have two in this caliber.
    The flight was uneventful, which is what one wants when one is transporting an Elephant.
     Reuters, Dec 2020.
    A Number 1 is likely a bit pricey compared to a bolt? Maybe not as reliably accurate too?

Assuming they're still made in 30-06?

I think Winchesters are made here now? 
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,569 Senior Member
    edited January 2020 #6
    I have a Newish Winchester Model 70 FW in .308.  It seems very well made, shoots well.  But, I believe it is made in Portugal.  It is so pretty, that I don’t like to risk it in the field.  

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,749 Senior Member
    Unless things have changed, Brownings have been made in Japan for almost 3 decades, IIRC.

That said, my Japanese Browning is my favorite rifle.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    edited January 2020 #8
    I don'y think 2 " of barrel length is going to be here or there for me but ...
    I'm leaning toward the Browning in Hunter or Medallion or the Featherweight, I will look at the savage classic on their website but rather like the shape of the other two better..
     Reuters, Dec 2020.
    And I did look at the Savage 110 classic, I never realized they made such a rifle
    Very nice.
     Reuters, Dec 2020.
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 2,359 Senior Member
    edited January 2020 #10
    You have enough bolt guns in calibers that will duplicate the 06! Get creative a Number One, BLR, BAR or Remington Pump. ;)
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
    Good point, a Bar is out due to the political climate here at the moment but BLR or a Number one is fair game.

Reuters, Dec 2020.
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,887 Senior Member
    It's a shame Henry doesn't make a 30-06, which would suit you.  Their rifles are beautiful.
    No good deed goes unpunished...
    There doesn't seem to be alot of  faith in the Modern Remington.
    Guess better to avoid?

Reuters, Dec 2020.
    edited January 2020 #14
    I don't know. You're an experienced rifleman and are familiar with the design. Their inherent success IMO lies in the simple fool proof mechanics. Evident to all that have had them a part and used them enough to have had reason for such. Point being, it seems like a hard thing to screw up?

Edit
    My comments are in reference to the 700..
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 2,359 Senior Member
    The Remington pump has long been known as a reliable accurate rifle. I had a carbine 760 in 30-06 and outside the recoil I loved it. My son had a 7600 in 280 Rem that with hand loads put the first three shots sub MOA. The only problem I had with them is their trigger but that can be repaired.
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Unless things have changed, Brownings have been made in Japan for almost 3 decades, IIRC.

Mike

Nothing wrong with **** guns. They're quality made. Think Howa?
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    edited January 2020 #17
    ojr said:
    Guess better to avoid?

I've heard the rumblings, but I've got 3 Model 700 variants in my safe as I type. The only problems I've had were their triggers.

I bought a NIB 700 ADL Synthetic in 2006 chambered in .22-250 Remington. I then bought another NIB SPS chambered in .30-06 Springfield in 2007. Then in 2013 I bought my ex wife another NIB  ADL Synthetic Chambered in .243 Winchester. The .22-250 and the .30-06 had the old original Walker Triggers but the pull weight was heavier than I cared to deal with. I had adjusted those in the past and was fairly good at it. But the triggers on these two were not good candidates for adjustment in the condition hey were when I bought the rifles. They weren't as good as the older ones because they weren't consistent. You could adjust on one all day but you couldn't get a consistent pull weight. One time you pulled it it would break at 2 pounds, the next it might break at 4 pounds. I took these to my gun smith and he changed some springs and polished the surfaces. Now they're fine other than they're still the old potentially dangerous Walker Triggers. Maybe I'll replace them with ****

The .243 had the newer X Mark Pro trigger. It was heavy and said to be GUN SMITH adjustable only. Then they put out a recall on them because of some compound they used to assemble them causing hang fires. We were supposed to send them in to Remington to have that compound cleaned out. I didn't send it in to Remington but rather took it to my Gun Smith. He charged me $40 but he cleaned out that compound and lightened it up and it's a fairly good trigger now. It's still a bit heavier than I prefer but not that heavy and it breaks like glass and I can shoot it well enough.

But those are the only problems I've had with newer Remingtons. Other than the triggers I've been pleased. They all shoot well if I do my part. And above all, it's now safe.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    snake284 said:

Mike

Nothing wrong with Japanese made guns. They're quality made. Think Howa?

• ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,507 Senior Member
    why not an M1 Garand?

or an 03a3?

then you have the savages.....
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,887 Senior Member
    snake284 said:
    ojr said:
    Guess better to avoid?

I've heard the rumblings, but I've got 3 Model 700 variants in my safe as I type. The only problems I've had were their triggers.

I bought a NIB 700 ADL Synthetic in 2006 chambered in .22-250 Remington. I then bought another NIB SPS chambered in .30-06 Springfield in 2007. Then in 2013 I bought my ex wife another NIB  ADL Synthetic Chambered in .243 Winchester. The .22-250 and the .30-06 had the old original Walker Triggers but the pull weight was heavier than I cared to deal with. I had adjusted those in the past and was fairly good at it. But the triggers on these two were not good candidates for adjustment in the condition hey were when I bought the rifles. They weren't as good as the older ones because they weren't consistent. You could adjust on one all day but you couldn't get a consistent pull weight. One time you pulled it it would break at 2 pounds, the next it might break at 4 pounds. I took these to my gun smith and he changed some springs and polished the surfaces. Now they're fine other than they're still the old potentially dangerous Walker Triggers. Maybe I'll replace them with ****

The .243 had the newer X Mark Pro trigger. It was heavy and said to be GUN SMITH adjustable only. Then they put out a recall on them because of some compound they used to assemble them causing hang fires. We were supposed to send them in to Remington to have that compound cleaned out. I didn't send it in to Remington but rather took it to my Gun Smith. He charged me $40 but he cleaned out that compound and lightened it up and it's a fairly good trigger now. It's still a bit heavier than I prefer but not that heavy and it breaks like glass and I can shoot it well enough.

But those are the only problems I've had with newer Remingtons. Other than the triggers I've been pleased. They all shoot well if I do my part. And above all, it's now safe.
    I too have a Remington 22-250 Model 700.  It is my varmint rifle with a bull barrel and a laminated stock, and as such, is heavy.  The rifle is a tack driver that will shoot sub MOA all day long.  I don't own a 30-06, and never have.  I don't see the need for one.  My deer rifle is a Marlin 30-30.  If I need to reach out further I'll use my Winchester Model 70, 300 Win Mag, and if I need more uumpf, I'll take my Marlin 45-70.  All of these rifles are blued with walnut stocks.  I don't want anything flashing while I'm hunting.
    No good deed goes unpunished...
    I emailed Ruger customer service the other day, their [ Quick, thanks]  response was that they don't currently make a Hawkeye in wood Blued in 30 06, was thinking maybe one of those and a Rifle basix trigger, but thats that out.
    I can get a Remington CDL in 12 weeks or a Browning X-Bolt in June if I order now .
    But even though the Remington BDL 30 06 I had shot so well I used it for a custom I am as above just a bit weary of the reputation these days.

Then again I'm not looking for a less than Minute of Angle long range shooter I have those,I have to keep telling myself what I want is a 300yrd confident, minute of deer rifle.

It may well be that I  should accept that my Husky 1600 barreling along at a pedestrian 2665 with the 165gr SSt with very acceptable to me accuracy  is good enough and go practice, learn the drop, and hunt
     Reuters, Dec 2020.