Home Main Category General Firearms

T post reticle...seeking opinions

JunkCollectorJunkCollector Posts: 1,067 Senior Member
Ever use one ?
Did you like it ?

Found an old Redfield 4x with 1" tube that has it and am tempted to pick up and try.

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    I think, maybe, T-post Redfields were used on some US military rifles equiped for sniper use. My memory might be failing me, not positive.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,324 Senior Member
    They're an older solution to the problem.  The idea is to take a 6:00 hold on the target and treat the post like the front blade on an open-sighted firearm, with your bullet ideally striking some expected distance above the post.

The common mistake modern shooters make with them is to use the intersection of the post and the often-present horizontal stadia line, which covers up far to much target to be a practical approach.

They are NOT a tool to make a group-shooter happy, but they are good for situations where you're trying to line up on a target that's hard to pick out among its surroundings due to distance or lack of contrast.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member

If you are talking about the German #1, I have one on my Kahles scope that sits over my favorite hunting rifle in the world, my Kimber 84.  It is FAST and accurate enough to make tiny groups at hunting distances, easy enough to do heart shots.  I don't love it well enough to go re-do all my other scopes but it's a absolutely a good option.

• JunkCollectorJunkCollector Posts: 1,067 Senior Member
    It's similar to yours but the center post is slightly higher than the horizontal line.
    I think I may buy and try.
    I do like small groups though 
    I think you'll like it.  Very intuitive sighting reticle.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 5,032 Senior Member
    In the early 60s i bought my first 2 rifles that could be scoped, the Savage M-99 had a Kollmorgen 2 3/4 X Bear Cub, the Win. M-70 same make but 4X, both had the post reticle, the post was slightly higher than the horizontal wire, since I was only hunting in Michigan's U P and Ontario, they were fine for the thick timber but not so good when I started hunting out west.

JAY 
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
    Thanks guys.
    I'm thinking of putting it on a 22 
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,324 Senior Member
    Probably a decent place to stick it.  Out to 100 yards, Mini Mags have about 4-5 inches of vertical travel.  Figure if you zero it to drop them right on top of the post at about 75-100 yards, you'll probably cross the line of sight on the way up somewhere around 20-25 yards and have a nice hold-under that gives you a good view of your impact in between.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,748 Senior Member
    edited January 2020 #10
    It's similar to yours but the center post is slightly higher than the horizontal line.
    My Dad had that reticle on his deer rifle. He absolutely loved it, while I absolutely hated it. For me, the tip of the post (which was pointed) sitting above the elevation stadia made it difficult to judge holdover at distance. OTOH, I saw my father make some pretty good shots with it. I just never could get the hang of it.

Mike

ETA: My Dad used this rig for lung shots against whitetail normally inside of 150 yards.He opined to put the point where you want the bullet to land and that'll be close enough.
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    Definitely sounds like it will be interesting to at least try.
    Thanks again.
    When I pick it up I'll try to get a decent picture of the reticle.

My Dad had that reticle on his deer rifle. He absolutely loved it, while I absolutely hated it. For me, the tip of the post (which was pointed) sitting above the elevation stadia made it difficult to judge holdover at distance. OTOH, I saw my father make some pretty good shots with it. I just never could get the hang of it.

Mike

ETA: My Dad used this rig for lung shots against whitetail normally inside of 150 yards.He opined to put the point where you want the bullet to land and that'll be close enough.
    Where our friend JunkCollector hunts he has the same environment I had when I picked my Kahles.  NE woods mostly short shots in the thick stuff.   I can see where they’d not be the best option out west.
    I did swing in and grab it and some other stuff
    30.00 lighter right now.
    Will be interesting to try.
    Nice shape and good and clear to the edges.
    I think it is an early one.
    Redfield gunsight Co
    Denver CO and it's serialized. 

• VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,949 Senior Member
    edited January 2020 #14
    I like them so much I had Leupold make me one in a 2-7 in a ger #1. I have shot one in vintage sniper matches at 300 and 600 yards. Saying you cant group with one is hooey.

I am guessing that if you have a vintage scope, the horizontal line is thin with the tip of the post above it and only the post is pronounced. It is a simple post reticle and you put the point where you want the bullet to land

It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    edited January 2020 #15
    You guessed correctly thin horizontal and post a bit above it.
    It's already on the gun and better yet it freed up a Leopold 3x9 that was there.
    Thanks varmintmist I'm thinking it may be neat to try at an egg shoot.