Home Main Category General Firearms

Go Big or Go Home

GilaGila Posts: 1,887 Senior Member
edited January 2020 in General Firearms #1
Davidson's has Barrett 50BMG semiautos available for $8,116.00.  For me it would run a little over $7K plus tax.  I'm trying to decide right now if I want to bite the bullet on this one.  A scope for it will also cost a pretty penny...
No good deed goes unpunished...

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    So does ammo.

Someone with mathematical inclinations might calculate the cost of a full nine yards worth.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Cool toy with HUGE bragging rights.  If the money was in my gun fund and I actually had a place to play with one I'd say why the hell not!
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,887 Senior Member
    I do have places to shoot it here where I live, and that's why I'm considering it.  I figure the ammo is about $5.00 a round, and I think I should do a little research on reloading for it.  I'm sure my Rock Chucker won't be of use for this.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,985 Senior Member
    We want video so we can live vicariously...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
    zorba said:
    We want video so we can live vicariously...
    You can make your own, since we all know you want one too...
  • N454casullN454casull Member Posts: 671 Senior Member
    I have the Bushmaster BA50 it’s fun to shoot.

Cheapest store bought ammo is about $4 a round. Reloading gets down to about $1.50ish per trigger pull but requires a new bigger press. I’m pretty free with ammo when someone wants to tryout a gun but with the 50 I’m pretty stingy. Most of my family has shot it but they all bought their own ammo. 

My 14yr old son shoots it just fine. The gun weights in at something like 40lbs and has a good break. The muzzle blast is hellacious but recoil isn’t bad at all. 

We can do 1000yrds easy, 1600yrds has been difficult to find. In the end if you can swing it, it’s a pretty fun gun to have. 
    I have the Bushmaster BA50 it’s fun to shoot.

Cheapest store bought ammo is about $4 a round. Reloading gets down to about $1.50ish per trigger pull but requires a new bigger press. I’m pretty free with ammo when someone wants to tryout a gun but with the 50 I’m pretty stingy. Most of my family has shot it but they all bought their own ammo. 

My 14yr old son shoots it just fine. The gun weights in at something like 40lbs and has a good break. The muzzle blast is hellacious but recoil isn’t bad at all. 

We can do 1000yrds easy, 1600yrds has been difficult to find. In the end if you can swing it, it’s a pretty fun gun to have. 
    How well do you like that Bushmaster?  40 lbs is pretty heavy.  The Barrett is a tad under 33 lbs, and the barrel is only 1" shorter.  The Bushmaster is in the price range of a Barrett single shot.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 5,032 Senior Member
     Reloading gets down to about $1.50ish per trigger pull but requires a new bigger press. 
    I have to disagree with you. When I was loading for the 50 it cost me more than $1.50 a round and that was in the 90s, right now Midway has Hornady 50 cal A-Max at $54.00 / 20 or $2.70 each and CCI # 35 primers at $217.00/500 or $0.43 each, also you will buy powder by the 8 lb. keg. I know there are cheaper components, but if your spending $7000.00 for a super accurate rifle I doubt you will buy the cheap stuff. Just my $0.02.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
    We like it quite a bit. It’s 40ish pounds with the scope and a magazine full of ammo. 
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,464 Senior Member
    I run a McMillan Tac-50. It’s fun to say you do, but the accuracy, weight, and blast make it a logistical inmate. 

The .338 Lapua is a FAR better platform. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    My oldest and his friend have a goal to shot a coyote at 1000yrds with it. Totally doable but so far it’s been a fail. Getting a coyote to sit still long enough to get the gun pointed even in the right direction has been a challenge.  Bait would help but is illegal. 

Like I said it’s fun to shot and cool to say “yea I have a 50” but practicality is pretty low. 
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Gila said:
    I do have places to shoot it here where I live, and that's why I'm considering it.  I figure the ammo is about $5.00 a round, and I think I should do a little research on reloading for it.  I'm sure my Rock Chucker won't be of use for this.
    Last I checked, the Lee Classic Cast press will do it with an adaptor they make specifically designed for .50 BMG loading.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    jaywapti said:
     Reloading gets down to about $1.50ish per trigger pull but requires a new bigger press. 
    I have to disagree with you. When I was loading for the 50 it cost me more than $1.50 a round and that was in the 90s, right now Midway has Hornady 50 cal A-Max at $54.00 / 20 or $2.70 each and CCI # 35 primers at $217.00/500 or $0.43 each, also you will buy powder by the 8 lb. keg. I know there are cheaper components, but if your spending $7000.00 for a super accurate rifle I doubt you will buy the cheap stuff. Just my $0.02.

JAY
    I didn’t say it was good ammo just ammo. It might not be great ammo but it’s perfect for letting your buddy or family member pull the trigger a couple times. 

You can buy surplus ball bullets for under a $1. My local Sportsmans had 50BMG powder on clearance so I bought it all. And yes maybe I was being generous at $1.50 but it was still much cheaper than buying it already rolled. I never took the time to figure out the exact savings. 
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,739 Senior Member
    Fifties are fun to shoot, especially the belt fed variety. It's fun to see a supposedly burnt out vehicle "catch" on fire from 300 yards away.
    If you have the funds and a place to shoot, I vote go for it.
    If it's gonna cause you any financial strain, there are other big boomers for less.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

We like it quite a bit. It’s 40ish pounds with the scope and a magazine full of ammo. 
    How adjustable is it to fit it to you, and what scope are you using?
    It has some adjustment in the stock not a lot but some. It fits me very well and is comfortable to shoot. I adjusted it the first time I shot it and haven’t touched it since.  

As of right now it has a Burris XTR 3-12 . It’s what I had laying around and is 50BMG rated. It works well and has held up nicely.  I am in a state of indecision about what will eventually become the permanent scope for it.