Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Is anybody watching the impeachment trial's opening statements?

Replies

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Not sure how this is intimidation since it happened after the fact.  He lashed out at her for sure.  Intimidation?  Meh...

I still have no clue who she is and don’t really care, and I now know one guy that listens to NPR.  Life is good.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    Back on topic. After what careful hearing I've been able to devote. I'm still hearing an argument for exclusion of the judiciary disguised as an argument for witnesses and documents.

I remain unconvinced of the implied time constraints. They seem illusory to me.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,697 Senior Member

WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Aqittal?

Will the teflon don march on?

To the state of the union?

Will Adam Shiff be discoverd to be a broken android recirculating on perma-skip?

Will Cheif Justice Roberts bring the beer?

Tune in later today for the exciting answers and so much more!
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Podunk, Tx.Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    FWIW, Fox News is reporting as of this morning that senator Lamar Alexander has announced he will NOT be voting for more witnesses.  If only Collins, Murkowsky and Romney, among the republicans, vote for more witnesses, it's over.

It has also been reported that three senate dems (Manchin from W.V., Sinema from AZ and Jones from 'bama) may vote for no more witnesses.  And, there are 4 senate dems who would much rather be campaigning than be part of this trial, so you have to wonder what they will do.  And, to top it all off, there's not a snow ball's chance in hell that this trial will result in the removal of the president.

If, OTOH, the senate votes to call witnesses, this could go on for months.

Queen Nancy and Kamala Harris can put an asterisk or whatever they wish beside Trump's name, but an acquittal is an acquittal.  I hope this is over soon.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    edited January 2020 #97
    FWIW, Fox News is reporting as of this morning that senator Lamar Alexander has announced he will NOT be voting for more witnesses.  If only Collins, Murkowsky and Romney, among the republicans, vote for more witnesses, it's over.

It has also been reported that three senate dems (Manchin from W.V., Sinema from AZ and Jones from 'bama) may vote for no more witnesses.  And, there are 4 senate dems who would much rather be campaigning than be part of this trial, so you have to wonder what they will do.  And, to top it all off, there's not a snow ball's chance in hell that this trial will result in the removal of the president.

If, OTOH, the senate votes to call witnesses, this could go on for months.

Queen Nancy and Kamala Harris can put an asterisk or whatever they wish beside Trump's name, but an acquittal is an acquittal.  I hope this is over soon.
    I have $100 that says Trump will wear that asterisk like a Medal and will actually SAY SO in an upcoming rally or tweet.  It's like they feed him slow pitches over the home plate on purpose.
    GunNut said:

I have $100 that says Trump will wear that asterisk like a Medal and will actually SAY SO in an upcoming rally or tweet.  It's like they feed him slow pitches over the home plate on purpose.
    I have zero doubt. Their hate only makes him stronger!

Their hate only makes MILLIONS of people open up their checkbooks which in fact makes him and the Republican party much stronger.  I've never seen a more incompetent bunch of fools get manipulated so badly.  I ALMOST feel badly for them at times.  Nadler almost ran over Schiff last night to get to the microphone and even liberals are making fun of the incident now.  I'm shocked he didn't get a heart attack on his way to that podium.
    I won't take any pleasure in seeing Trump metastasize into a super being. But watching the Dems twirl ball bearings in their palms well nervously muttering incoherent epitaphs on tv will be very amusing.
    Nancy’s ever more violent facial ticks by themselves are worth the ticket price.  Her Botox is failing bad...
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    edited January 2020 #101
    This is exactly what the Dems want anyway. It was never about removing Trump from office. It was about getting Republicans to 100% own everything else that is going to leak out (and you know darn well it is going to leak) steadily between now and November.

Why go through the time and trouble of subpoenas and court battles when the next leak is right around the corner?
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Merrritt Island, FLPosts: 25,219 Senior Member
    To damage Trump in any way possible, cause chaos, and to Hell with the country.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
    Wow, demanding loyalty from the Party members that you’re leading.  How distasteful!  

Because we all know Pelosi doesn’t have the combined testicles and vaginas in the House tightly held and wired to her whims.  Substitute her name for the naive statement above and it sounds just right too.

So exactly what crime are we discussing?
    zorba said:
    To damage Trump in any way possible, cause chaos, and to Hell with the country.
    We have been doomed to Hell since Clinton and Trump accepted their party nominations. This same crap was going to go down either way, only the sides would change. 
    -Thomas Paine
    Murkowski is officially a no...  Now the teams are just talking to the cameras.  Pretty much official.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Under a logPosts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Bigslug said:

FINALLY! Someone that shares my point of view of the situation at hand!
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    This is exactly what the Dems want anyway. It was never about removing Trump from office. It was about getting Republicans to 100% own everything else that is going to leak out (and you know darn well it is going to leak) steadily between now and November.

Why go through the time and trouble of subpoenas and court battles when the next leak is right around the corner?
    The lack of witnesses also gives them the excuse that it was a sham trial and puts more weight on republican senators and let's them use it as a campaign tool against a number of vulnerable senators in November. I'd frankly think the Republicans might be smart to allow witnesses in this case, since they're unlikely to change anything and it would look better. 

Ummm. . .no to both. 

The Republicans can claim that they shut down the actual sham trial that started in the House.  To the indifferent observer with no dog in the fight, it's pots accusing kettles.

As for the wisdom of allowing witnesses, if that happened, (1.) that would legitimize the notion that there was actually an impeachable offense presented by the House and (2.) do you think the Dems would EVER shut up?
    WWJMBD?

Will the press give Joe Biden a pass?

There's no doubt the POTUS can put up endless acres of hay after acquittal. Can the Dems put any successful polish on what looks bad of them from almost any angle?

NPR reported yesterday that Trump's popularity is higher than ever. Will this Corona virus from China have any lasting effect? Is yesterday's Brexit characteristic of a popular conservative tide, or is it along with Trumpism a last gasp?

I expext endless aha! developments being pan handled by the Dems beating a dead attempted impeachment horse. Could be like digging their own hole.

On the other hand Trump's king of the hill economy is tenuous.
    The press does not have to give Biden a pass.  A RABID Lindsey Graham was on Fox yesterday and called the impeachment political **** on live TV.  He said we are not done with Biden and he will personally make sure we get the answers we need on his involvement with his son’s and others bilking his position of power for millions...  I’ve never seen folks so energized and the Justice Department is strangely quiet over the whole thing while a whole bunch of thorough investigations are happening.  

I think when the government brings their case against the scum in the previous administration it will ironclad, low drama and devastating.
    You do know this whole Biden thing is a conspiracy theory, right?
    -Thomas Paine
    This is like if Trump tried to reopen his investigation proving Obama's Kenyan birth.
    -Thomas Paine
  • AccipiterAccipiter New Member Posts: 898 Senior Member
    edited February 2020 #112

This is like if Trump tried to reopen his investigation proving Obama's Kenyan birth. 

Pretty much why it was Trump and Rudy hamfisting the investigation in the first place, and not the justice dept.  Barr told them there was no case. 

If Trump had left any investigations to William Bar, we would not be here
    Apparently free thought is punished, and conformity is required, while peckerless cowards run the show.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

Ah......One savors the hypocrisy!

Karma.........It’s a bitch.
    Sure, his son never worked for a corrupt Ukrainian oligarch under his dad’s protection.  Let’s go bigger, what the previous administration did to their political rival during the 2016 election makes what Nixon did look like child’s play, and it was sanctioned at the highest levels and started with bogus material paid for by the DNC.

And yet folks just want that to go away...
    Im not sure where the line of the law is with reference to the Biden's? 

I also think its an interesting that Trump has enjoyed steady support in conjunction with the successful Brexit of GB from the EU. Conservatism? Nationalism? Simple economics? 

In a American political climate where the opposing factions of whats become a two party system appear to me to be of very similar policy well differing dramatically in rhetoric only. The phenomenon of Trumpism is hard for me to characterize. It remains an enigma that seems more focused against specific targets than for specific policy. The left, the Dems, the liberals. All seem focused against Trump and trumpism more than on substantive policy.

Whatever happens between now and November. I hope any and all future accusations contain real undeniable proof.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Under a logPosts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Can't we just send all the Democrat House members on a fact finding mission to Iran for the next six months? With any luck at all that would be a win-win.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    edited February 2020 #116
    Accipiter said:
    Pretty much why it was Trump and Rudy hamfisting the investigation in the first place, and not the justice dept.  Barr told them there was no case. 

If Trump had left any investigations to William Barr, we would not be here
    Yea... he sent the moron squad of Giuliani, Parnas, and Fruman (the last two, he claims he doesn't even know-- not exactly the picture of a president using his vast private wealth to find the truth for the American people) to investigate it once Biden started running for president. Why Biden and not the other 50 candidates? Biden has been at the very top since he started running...

While many here don't believe in polls because they have been told to ignore ones that don't put their hero in a good light, Trump does pay attention to them. Here is what they say against Biden...

Biden's actions in Ukraine were very transparent. It only became a problem after he started running for president that the conspiracy theories started coming out of the woodwork. This isn't about fighting corruption. It IS corruption.

And I can't stand Joe Biden either. I can't believe I have to defend the idiot.
    -Thomas Paine
    GunNut said:
    Sure, his son never worked for a corrupt Ukrainian oligarch under his dad’s protection.  Let’s go bigger, what the previous administration did to their political rival during the 2016 election makes what Nixon did look like child’s play, and it was sanctioned at the highest levels and started with bogus material paid for by the DNC.

And yet folks just want that to go away...
    The inspector general report already came out. There were a few sleazy things that happened, but nothing like you are saying-- just another conspiracy theory. Do you know those millions of votes from illegals in the 2016 election was a conspiracy theory too? I remember you parroting them after the election. How did those investigations work out? Did they find the truth or was there absolutely no substance to it and he spewed out those allegations to serve his own purposes?

Do you know how I know you are a fanboy and not just some dude that bites his tongue because he appreciates conservative justices and a good economy?
    -Thomas Paine
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Manistee Natl ForestPosts: 18,284 Senior Member
    edited February 2020 #118
    Told to ignore the polls? You mean the same polls that said Hillary was a shoe in for President?

Nobody had to tell me to be skeptical of polls....they proved themselves to be **** all by themselves.
    The only thing they prove is that a poll can say whatever the pollster wants it to say...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker said:
    Told to ignore the polls? You mean the same polls that said Hillary was a shoe in for President?

Nobody had to tell me to be skeptical of polls....they proved themselves to be **** all by themselves.
    The polls were accurate-- it showed Clinton winning the popular vote in a national election. Popular vote in a national election doesn't get you elected president. Clinton ignored the polls in Michigan, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania. Trump didn't. That is why he is president and not her.
    -Thomas Paine
    edited February 2020 #120
    The polls served us well in the last presidential election right?  🤔

I live in a state where a polling station volunteer can not even LOOK at my ID because it’s illegal for them to do so to identify me as a legit voter.  I think anyone that doesn’t believe there is illegal voting in large numbers going on in this country and that the over 12,000,000 (and growing) illegals are not affecting elections voting for a party to give them amnesty and more freebies has their head up their ass.  But hey I could be wrong and it really could all be conspiracy theories.

I also understand that you don’t believe these “conspiracies” and if you want to call me a fan boy then it’s all good with me.  We’re all entitled to our opinions.
    I won't take any pleasure in seeing Trump metastasize into a super being. But watching the Dems twirl ball bearings in their palms well nervously muttering incoherent epitaphs on tv will be very amusing.
    Actual post coming - gonna take more than one quote.
    WWJMBD?