Home Main Category Clubhouse

Holy Mother Isis, its COLD!

zorbazorba Senior MemberPosts: 23,640 Senior Member
42 degrees and a 20 MPH wind. Too cold for Florida, and even too cold for California! Its the wind - I was warmer in 29 degree weather in Chicago one time when it was still. Long canvas skirt and a slip.
-Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

Replies

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,026 Senior Member
    20F temps with 40 mph winds isn't uncommon here in Colorado, and that's pretty brutal, but at least there's little humidity.

When I lived in Louisiana I recall days of 40F, no wind, 85% humidity and I thought I was gonna die. Humidity is the devil in the details.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    It must be cold down there. The National Weather Service issued a falling iguana warning...

Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,640 Senior Member
    Humidity is GONE, but its darn cold - never heard of the Iguana thing before! It got into the very low 30s a bit last  year, but it didn't feel as cold because it was still. My henna plant doesn't like freezing temps - but its still outside tonite. It came inside a couple or three times last  year.

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,760 Senior Member
    It’ll go down to 30 tonight and today did not get past 41.  Not a big fan of this 🤬
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,914 Senior Member
    I really feel for you Partner...It was 5 degrees when I left the house this morning...45 mph winds crossing the Mackinac Bridge...so the wind chill was a bit on the nippy side...FINALLY warmed up to a toasty 26 by the time we got back home.....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Humidity is the deal-breaker. One opening morning of elk season I was hunting close to Scooter's place in Lake George, CO. -26F at daylight, and it never got above -15F the whole day. But, believe it or not, by 9AM I was peeling off layers. Steep terrain. No wind, no humidity.

I went to unload my rifle at sunset, and the bolt was frozen closed, although I'd taken great pains to degrease it prior to the hunt. Apparently not well enough, though.

Mike
    N454casull
    Another opening morning, JerryBobCo and I were elk hunting near his home in Florence, CO. Temps weren't that bad, but over the course of the day we got rained on, snowed on, nearly blown off the mountain, and ended the day in sunshine that would have allowed you to take off your shirt, lay down in the field and pick your teeth with a blade of grass.

Colorado weather is psychotic. To say the least.

Mike
    N454casull
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,760 Senior Member
    Another opening morning, JerryBobCo and I were elk hunting near his home in Florence, CO. Temps weren't that bad, but over the course of the day we got rained on, snowed on, nearly blown off the mountain, and ended the day in sunshine that would have allowed you to take off your shirt, lay down in the field and pick your teeth with a blade of grass.

Colorado weather is psychotic. To say the least.

Mike
    Yep, one of the worst sunburns I ever got was in Vail in March.  Temps went up, sun was out, spent the day with just a T-shirt on and was lobster red by evening.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,958 Senior Member
    I can remember all thru the late 40s and until 1957 during deer season we always camped off the loop road and every morning when we got up there was rime ice in canal and cistern , and in the late 70s we were tank diving lobster on Triumph Reef when we came up there was snow fluries .The loop road is 40 to 65 miles west of Miami & Triumph Reef is 30 miles south of Miami and 5 miles East of Elliot Key

JAY

THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member

Temp on a pic from MO farm remote trail cam says that I should pretty stoked that I'm  deployed right now...
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,828 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    42 degrees and a 20 MPH wind. Too cold for Florida, and even too cold for California! Its the wind - I was warmer in 29 degree weather in Chicago one time when it was still. Long canvas skirt and a slip.
    You need to put these on too....  :D

Carhartt Mens Cotton Union Suit Long Underwear - 635656 Underwear  Base Layer at Sportsmans

No good deed goes unpunished...
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,903 Senior Member
    Woke up to 38F here in South Florida.
    It's raining Iquanas
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,396 Senior Member
    Tue morn I was working in a state park. It was 9f.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,144 Senior Member
    Warm here. Raining, 48 degrees, going to be almost 70 tomorrow.  Going to have to mow the yard in January.

could use a hard freeze, or the weeds and bugs are going to be insane in a few months
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    Point of view....Florida is 42°F and they are complaining about the cold. North Idaho is 40°F and we are wearing shorts. 
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

edited January 22 #17
    CaliFFL said:
    Point of view....Florida is 42°F and they are complaining about the cold. North Idaho is 40°F and we are wearing shorts. 
    Yep. My parents lived in northern New York state many years ago. When the temperature got UP to zero, it was time to open the windows! I'm still acclimated to California - people here bundle up if the temp drops below 70, it takes well below 60 for me to start to feel it.

Supposed to warm up to the low/mid 60s later today and stay there for a few days before dropping again to mid 50s. 42 right now.

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,823 Senior Member
    edited January 22 #18
    At least when it gets cold here, it's for maybe two or three days, not sub-freezing for months!! But I was in the swimming pool last week, not so much this week!!

BTW Zorba, the wife suggest you wear Spanx, they keep the whoha warmer than a slip!!
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,927 Senior Member
    I agree with Mike about humidity.  When I lived in Sugarland (Houston suburb), 20 degrees F, regardless of whether or not the wind was blowing, seemed like bitter cold. 

In the winter of '83, we moved from there to Salt Lake City.  In SLC, on a clear, still, sunny day, 20 was sweater weather.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,621 Senior Member
    The snow was squeaky walking on it Sunday and now it is supposed to be 30 today, almost a 40 degree swing.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Big Al1 said:

BTW Zorba, the wife suggest you wear Spanx, they keep the whoha warmer than a slip!!
    The situation in Chicago that time was borderline. I had an ankle length heavy canvas skirt - with a slip for added insulation. It was fine for the 29 degree weather as long as there was no wind. Anything colder would have necessitated leggings of some kind, at least on my lower legs.

No full length shot, but:

• SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,962 Senior Member
    63° and only partly cloudy. Almost zero breeze from the NW and a low tonight of 48° and calm, no rain.
    I feel your pain Zorb, I'm in T-shirt weather.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

Its up to 56, and spitting rain. Like being in California.

• Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,669 Senior Member
    CaliFFL said:

One thing a lot of people don't realize about Florida is if you come from a colder climate, like New York where I'm from, once you become acclimated to the heat here, the winter temperatures feel MUCH colder than when living in the colder climate. I was used to winter temps on Long Island being anywhere from 20 degrees to 40 degrees in the daytime between November and April. After being here a few years, now anything under 60 degrees is jacket weather.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    edited January 23 #25
    I guess the deal with what they call "acclimation" is that with exposure to cold, it stimulates your body to produce brown fat. Brown fat is very metabolically active and works to keep you warm in cold climates. And if you don't use it, you lose it, but will redevelop with more cold exposure.

In other words, us members up here in Idaho, Minnesota, and Michigan probably have more brown fat on our bodies than members in Florida or Arizona.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    Well, that explains a lot, Jerm. I'm in Colorado, have no fat and I'm cold wherever I am.
    I probably need to cut back on the BP meds and eat a brick of lard.

Mike
    N454casull
    edited January 23 #28
    CaliFFL said:
    Humidity, dude. 40F with 85 % humidity is a totally different animal than 20F with 7% humidity. You'll be thinking you're gonna die in the former, but grill steaks outside in the latter.

The 2 worst weather places I've ever been were New Orleans and Houston. For both hot and cold.

Except for hail beating your car and roof to death, Colorado is a walk in the park.

Mike
    N454casull
    Humidity here is in the toilet right now, I'm actually boiling water on the stove with a fan blowing across it. Outside isn't much higher either.

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,903 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    Humidity here is in the toilet right now, I'm actually boiling water on the stove with a fan blowing across it. Outside isn't much higher either.
    It is currently 57F but feels like 50F with 84% humidity.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    zorba said:
    Maybe I'm missing something here.....
    Temps somewhere in the 40's with humidity so low you are introducing it???

Ditch the dresses. Buy Carharrt.

Mike

N454casull