Home Main Category General Firearms

Shooting with Ernie!

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 26,018 Senior Member
edited January 2020 in General Firearms #1
Ernie came down my way this week to hunt on a ranch a friend of his manages. With my work schedule, I could only go and play yesterday. But , I got out there relatively early after their early morning hunt. 
Met them at the gate and we headed to a barn that had a big clearing with a 200 yard range with bench that exotics frequented as well. 

Ernie got set up on the bench with his Pachmayer Dominator in .25 Creedmoor and 110gr Nosler Accubonds. 

With the tempting of a little corn, a herd of Blackbuck Antelope and Axis Deer soon emerged to forage and suck up the food. 
After watching some older and younger buck for a few minutes, the cull Ernie’s friend had in mind walked out. Then, the only problem was getting him clear of all the other animals and standing still/broadside. A feat that proved somewhat of a pain the the butt. He would be one of the above butt not all three. 
Eventually, he was clear and broadside, but not still.

The only option was to take him after a step when he paused for a second to suck up a kernel of corn. 

So that’s what Ernie did. 

Putting the round tight behind his shoulder. On impact, the buck lurched forward and headed for the brush. 

A consternation as he was in full velvet and a death run through the cedar would likely destroy his beautiful velvet cover. Fortunately, he stopped just inside the trees and spun around to fall. Only clipping the tip of one antler and scraping the velvet. 
Not a bad shot for an old man with a pistol. 

We grabbed our stuff and headed over to check him out. 

We gently loaded him up and took him to the cleaning shed to clean/cape/quarter. 
A pretty cool looking animal, I dropped the head off last night to my taxidermy friend for a wall pedestal mount. Here is one she was working on when I got there last night. This is how Ernie’s will be mounted. 

Disclaimer:  Yes, I know this is about a dead animal and I posted it in the General Firearms Section. But technically, he used a shooting bench on a shooting range so.......it wasn’t really hunting. More like shooting. That, and the next installment I’m about to post on this thread is all about guns and the long range shooting we did after the “hunt”. So.........I kinda combined them. 😎

Stay tuned.......
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,983 Senior Member
    What a great time!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 26,018 Senior Member
    edited January 2020 #3
    After cleaning up, we went for a tour of the ranch and to the range Ernie’s friend had set up. 
    We took his friend’s custom Remington XP100 in .25 Creedmoor  (never heard of the cartridge and I see two so chambered in one day) and an old school XP100 in .308 Winchester to the range with us to play. 
    Ernie’s friend was up first with his XP100. Center punched an 8” plate at 500 and then nailed a 3” plate next to it. Impressive!
    Moved over to a Fox size silhouette At 512 yards and hit it twice with 110gr Hornady ELD-X bullets. 

(Moment of impact. You can see the splash.)

Ernie then used the XP to get a couple hits on a Javalina steel at 740 yards!

Well crap. Two good shooters and now it was my turn. They asked what target I wanted to shoot at and I asked how far that furthest one was. 
    “1,110 yards.”
    ”I’ll shoot that one!  Why shoot at something you know you can hit?”

Besides, if I missed...........I’d have a good excuse. 😎

Dry fired the trigger once and we guesstimated the dope. Dialed in the elevation and held left into the wind. First shot was about two target heights low with good wind. So, I aimed in and adjusted the turret to my point of impact. Held the same wind and sent Another round. Hitting the left aide of the target, I adjusted wind hold and sent another. Hitting the right side.......I had it bracketed. Adjusted and sent a third. Close enough to center for me to call it good enough for government work at 1,110 yards with a borrowed pistol. 

Stand by for third range installment. 
    With the easy stuff out of the way, we decided to try something of a challenge. 😳
    His friend broke out the vintage XP100 in .308 Winchester with a King Tube Sight (iron sight) made for Silhouette Shooting at 200 yards. 
    200 yards?!?  Screw that. You throw rocks that far!  Let’s go for that 24” plate at 785 yards!  With an iron sight twice as wide!  And while we’re at it........aim so stinking far up into the trees above the target we can’t even SEE the target!

Suffice it to say, I found every point of aim reference you need to NOT hit the target. Above. Below. Left. Right. Ernie and I scared the HELL out of that steel. 
    Then, his friend stepped up. I said, the POA you need has GOT to be either at the top or bottom of that gap in the trees. 
    First shot was low. Ok, try the top. 
    BOOM................DING!

Bastige!  Let’s everyone else do the homework. Walks away with the trophy. 😁
    Seriously though, some excellent shooting with a pretty cool gun. 
    Iron sighted pistol at 785 yards. 

Quite an awesome day with two awesome dudes!
    I’m glad I was able to go. Hope to see Ernie again soon and I hope I have a new friend near by that likes to shoot at things nobody else can see. 
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,656 Senior Member
    Nice! Nice shooting! Too bad about what happened to your face though... ;):D
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,748 Senior Member
    Awesome day for everyone.
    That is one impressive set of antlers Ernie got.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • AccipiterAccipiter New Member Posts: 889 Senior Member
    Awesome post!

It is nice to see your face take on some character.  It has gone from that blank stare you used to have to a kind of A-Tacs complexion.
    Apparently free thought is punished, and conformity is required, while peckerless cowards run the show.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

Ah......One savors the hypocrisy!

Karma.........It’s a bitch.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,833 Senior Member
    Congratulations!
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,664 Senior Member
    What about that buck made it a cull?
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,539 Senior Member
    Working that much and you could not have a "take a friend to work day"?  ;) 
    Nice shooting guys, you provide loads of motivation to a guy that has no time.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Jayhawker said:
    What about that buck made it a cull?
    He didn’t fork on his left side and his right fork was basically a nub.
    edited January 2020 #12
    Accipiter said:
    Awesome post!

It is nice to see your face take on some character.  It has gone from that blank stare you used to have to a kind of A-Tacs complexion.
    Been seeing a dermatologist.
    edited January 2020 #13
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Working that much and you could not have a "take a friend to work day"?  ;) 

Well, I got to shoot guns both places. Can’t complain. 😁
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,203 Senior Member
    That sounds like a great time! It is always cool when fellow members get to meet up.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    Well, I was back at work today shooting guns while Ernie was apparently having a “blast” himself. 
    I’ll let him fill in the details when he gets back home.  He sent me these pics. 

.357 Mag FrankenRuger

6.5 PRC

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,374 Senior Member
    Well done and congrats
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Now THAT sounds like a heck of a great time for all involved!

#SweetZeezus #FeeltheErn'
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,682 Senior Member
    I’m jealous.  

Looks like a great time!
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,539 Senior Member
    Ernies going to gain 10# with all that good eating.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,914 Senior Member
    Thank you Zee for the great pics and story. 
    I am sitting in the airport now as I type and will be brief. 
    I had a wonderful with Zee, Matt, and Matt's family.  Truly a wonderful time.
    I can assure you I gained weight, while being here.  Whatever had been lost in the last 2 weeks has been for naught, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.
    The Blackbuck with my Franken-Ruger was around 70 yards.  The 158 Hornady XTP did it job and he was done after about 50 yards. 
    The javelina (Not a very big critter), and they don't like to be still all the time, was at 132 yards, again with the 357 Magnum Franken-Ruger.  Went about 50 yards again before he piled up.  Vertical was spot on, but I shot about 2 inched further back, as I misjudged where his shoulder was.
    We got to stand quite late, and was wondering what might come out.
    My 6.5 PRC XP, shooting Hornady factory ammo was up next.
    It was dark, dark, dark when that lone hog showed up at 171 yards, but fortunately he was on the white gravel road, which was going slightly uphill.   A quick shot with XP downed him on the spot.  I had a round in the XP-100, but I hadn't closed the bolt.  When I saw, him,  I quickly ranged him, closed the bolt, and swung slightly right and shot.  Matt is a quick shooter, but it must have been the long days and short nights that lulled him into thinking he had more time.  He asked if I was ready, and since I know that pigs rarely stay still very long, I gently pressed the Dell trigger and was rewarded with a loud "meat report."  The muzzle flash with that Tubb brake was impressive.  What I had not realized until after the fact, was that I got into action so quickly (Thanks to some Zee coaching) that Matt not had time to put his muffs on yet.  At least the barrel was out side the blind.
    Their was no joy this morning for what we were looking for, but it was a beautiful morning.  After that we headed to the steel range where we had shot on Tuesday, and Matt tried his hand on hitting steel with my Franken Ruger at 550 yards.
    I did NOT have a scope with a lot of internal adjustment or external turrets, like when I grouped it at 500 yards several years ago, so dialing was out of the question.
    He got close but no cigar.  I then pulled out the 6.5 PRC XP.  I got it zeroed before I left, and we knew the MV, so I plugged the data and came up with a solution.
    I had not confirmed drops at distance, so I let Matt.  He rocked steel beginning at 500 yards to 1,010 yards.  With 3.5" group 3-shot group to finish the day.
    That boy can shoot!
    More later.
    Zee may post these pics before I have time to-not sure.

Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"

Thanks!
    Made it home just before midnight-mountain time zone.  
    Wonderful Trip!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Upon further visiting with Matt, he actually had time to put his muffs on, but he just decided to watch the show with his binos....Young ears not ringing constantly...Yet!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    It was a lot of fun.
    I recognize that high fence hunting, especially when feeders are added, is primarily about patience and shooting.
    I recognize that for what it is.
    It wasn't physically demanding and shots were easy in terms of distance.
    It does not take away from having a great time with a couple of good friends, and getting to shoot and see some awesome animals...Some of which I could not shoot.
    Will I do it again? Sure!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"