Home Main Category Clubhouse

I got your technology!

earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
This is the best youtube video I've seen yet.

History lives and breaths and hammers hard!

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    God bless these guys! They had that old beast screaming!

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    I can remember when the AT&SF was still running steam in the 50s...everything about them was awesome...the noise, the smell and the way the ground shook when they came around the curve outside of town running flat out...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,678 Senior Member
    Niiiiiiiice! "Stick your head out the window, watch those drivers roll!"
    4014 has been getting the limelight of late - but 844 is awesome in its own right. And not a touch screen or microprocessor to be had!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    I was grinning like a kid in a toy store when I saw these!
    Even when they were sitting in the yard, building steam, they seemed to be breathing...alive...
  • BamaakIIBamaakII Posts: 274 Member
    Stick your head out the window and you may just get a faceful of soot.
    These engines appear to be burning coal rather than oil.

For anyone interested. There's a video of a train called The Flying Scotsman doing 100mph that can be found on youtube. Its spectacular.
    edited January 26 #9
    Nice! The tunnel scene reminded me of this one (diesel, not steam):
    (Watch to the end)

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    There's a pretty good one about the NYC water line with period footage. Apparently, the models with balanced running gear and pin bearings were made to run in sustained excess of 80mph.

The old yard in Cheyenne has an excellent museum. A video I watched there showed the old multi acre
    inclosed shop. It said anything required to service the old engines could be made from scratch at that shop.

Once Upon A Town by Bob Greene Chronicals a station at North Platte NE during WWII.. A volunteer canteen was run there for soldiers in transit. It said most all troops passed through there. It was an excellent read. Id like a closer look at the old depot there.

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,098 Senior Member

For anyone interested. There's a video of a train called The Flying Scotsman doing 100mph that can be found on youtube. Its spectacular.
    If it's the one I saw, the description below the video pretty much say it's what "The Flying Scotsman" would look like IF it was doing 100 mph. I take that to mean he's computer edited it to make it appear to be going that fast

"Just a little bit of fun. Did a couple of (rough) calculations and worked out that this is how 'Flying Scotsman' would be like, if she was doing 100mph in steam days. "
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• GilaGila Posts: 1,828 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    (Watch to the end)

Video is not available...
    No good deed goes unpunished...
    Click on it and watch it on youtube. The uploader has disabled embedding - which is just dumb, but there you have it.

knitepoet said:

If it's the one I saw, the description below the video pretty much say it's what "The Flying Scotsman" would look like IF it was doing 100 mph. I take that to mean he's computer edited it to make it appear to be going that fast

"Just a little bit of fun. Did a couple of (rough) calculations and worked out that this is how 'Flying Scotsman' would be like, if she was doing 100mph in steam days. "
    Its this one.

Either my screen is too small to see all of content or I don't know how to correctly youtube? It looked real on my little phone.
    Yep, that's the one. The quote I put on the bottom is the information under the video on my PC
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Ah!
    That text don't show on my screen. Ill have to double check some of this stuff with my son. He can tell better than me when its real or memorex.
    All she need to do is 88!

Scotsman hit 100 mph in 1934...60163 Tornado...a similar class engine did it in 2017

Can't post the link for some reason,..

Some of the content Ive been viewing said that various commuter lines had to have trains capable of 80 mph to keep rail schedules. Some of the period footage is really cool!
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,828 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    Click on it and watch it on youtube. The uploader has disabled embedding - which is just dumb, but there you have it.
    That doesn't work.  It takes me to other videos...
    No good deed goes unpunished...
    Thank God there's people that have saved some of this. 

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,400 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    (Watch to the end)

That smoke rolling out the tunnel is something that was a problem back in the steam powered days. Being as I sometimes hunted in places not accessed by the general public I saw how they handled that back in the 1800s. TN has a lot of railroad tunnels in some places only  accessible by some hard hiking in the hills. A lot of those hills the tunnels go through have one or more vertical shafts that were made to get the smoke out of the tunnel and not asphyxiate the passengers on the train. Most I saw were 8 feet square or larger, and they didn't have any railings around them to keep you from falling down the shaft. I guess people weren't stupid back then like they are now. :)
    Anyway, if you know where any RR tunnels go through hills, it's worth a hike and a look to see if any of these vertical air shafts exist if for no other reason than to see them and the workmanship involved in building them.

I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams