Home Main Category Clubhouse

Kobe Bryant dead

AccipiterAccipiter New MemberPosts: 885 Senior Member
Apparently free thought is punished, and conformity is required, while peckerless cowards run the show.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

Ah......One savors the hypocrisy!

Karma.........It’s a bitch.

Replies

• N454casullN454casull Member Posts: 564 Senior Member
    I like sports. I like playing, coaching, and watching. 

But I never get this. How is his life more important than the other 4 people on board? How is his life more important than the young mom down the raid that just died of cancer? 

And not just his but any “famous” person. So it gets a big courtesy, sorry for his family, but move along from me. 
  • AccipiterAccipiter New Member Posts: 885 Senior Member
    Is is his life more important?  Probably not to anyone other than to those he matters too.  Is his life more news worthy?  Without any doubt in the world.  
    Apparently free thought is punished, and conformity is required, while peckerless cowards run the show.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

• SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,966 Senior Member
    He and his fellow teammates did represent the U.S.A really well in the Olympics (2008-2012).
    This alone is worth an honorable mention. 👍

RIP Kobe #10

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,295 Senior Member
    Apparently his 13 yo daughter was also killed.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    Im not a sports fan. By happenstance, I once saw LeBron James play. I was amazed. If Kobe Bryant was of similar talent, that's an extremely high achievement.

The news story showed a family man. Prayers for his wife, daughters, and family.
  • N454casullN454casull Member Posts: 564 Senior Member
    I saw him play in his prime with Shaq. At the Forum row K just off of center court. He was amazing. Last week he and his daughter were in a town close to us to watch a girls high school game. We played them last Thursday she is legit. 

But again “prayers for Kobe and his family” it’s a total pet peeve of mine. There was a pilot and at least one other father and his daughter on board as well. So maybe instead of just prayers for the famous guy we express prayers for all those involved. 
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,958 Senior Member

But again “prayers for Kobe and his family” it’s a total pet peeve of mine. There was a pilot and at least one other father and his daughter on board as well. So maybe instead of just prayers for the famous guy we express prayers for all those involved. 
    One of my biggest pet peeves, prayers for the famous and the hell with the rest.
    454 Well said, and thanks.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,000 Senior Member
    Who?
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    9 dead now.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,946 Senior Member
    I hadn't noticed.

I don't wish to make light of a tragedy, but Fox News has been covering this like it's the only thing happening in the entire world.  Sure they guy was a great athlete and a celebrity, but people die every day in all sort of tragic ways and very few of those get a single mention.  

If it's someone famous, though, it's like the world has come to an end.

Sorry for the rant.  My condolences to his family and friends, and I just sent a prayer their way.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,152 Senior Member
    I have prayers and thoughts out to all the victims.

But seriously, a basketball player has absolutely zero impact on my life.  No idea why he gets more coverage than a soldier, LEO, EMT, or anyone that literally puts their lives on the line for others.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,247 Senior Member
    Everyone has their own opinions but I tend to believe the woman that accused him of rape over him based on everything that was reported. As such, never thought much of the guy.

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,741 Senior Member
    He gets coverage because he was famous.  And while he may not have touched your life, he touched the lives of a whole lot of others.  The last game he played, he scored 60 points. I have no problem with the coverage and I don't begrudge the attention it's getting.  His daughter was also lost along with several others, fathers and daughters.  That is a sad thing. 
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Gene L said:So
    He gets coverage because he was famous.  And while he may not have touched your life, he touched the lives of a whole lot of others.  The last game he played, he scored 60 points. I have no problem with the coverage and I don't begrudge the attention it's getting.  His daughter was also lost along with several others, fathers and daughters.  That is a sad thing. 

I tend to agree with Gene. One thing, if Joe Blow from KC gets killed in a plane crash I never knew him so I don't feel any gushing compassion. People that we knew, whether our neighbor, drinking buddy, cousin, whatever, or even someone we knew through the media, we feel shock and saddness. We knew Kobe through the media. We didn't know the rest of the people on that helo in any respect, so it's kinda natural we want to hear all the coverage. Even war heroes, we hear of them getting killed in Afghanistan or Iraq, we salute them but we didn't know them so we don't show that gushing compassion that we would if we knew them.

I remember when JFK was killed. We, my family, were Republicans. We had absolutely no tie to him outside of his being president. But we saw him everyday on TV, we heard him speak to us in speeches. So we felt a kinship to him whether we liked him or not. That I think is why some of these celebrities get this attention.

My condolences to his family and friends. He was a man and he died with his daughter. That's sad.

Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    Celebrities...their lives, opinions, and deaths are somehow more important than mine/yours because they excel at sports, or can sing, or stand in front of a camera and pretend to be someone else. Or worse, they get elected. 

I cannot understand why we pedestal these people like they are demigods. 

It's creepy. 
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,664 Senior Member
    I'm somewhat inclined to agree with you there, CaliFFL. I'm sorry the man died, I'm sorry his daughter died, and I'm sorry the pilot and other passengers died. Beyond that, I had to look up who he was!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    Its interesting that a simple thread of memorial contains elements of contention.

I don't think "we," have elevated anyone's prestige or importance. The news media ran with a story, and select sports fans became enamoured.

For me, it was hard not to feel empathy upon seeing the man with his family.

Im sure tomorrows news cycle will have plenty of new content not so associated.
    It is interesting to see what people get there nuts in a knot over.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,923 Senior Member
    So...on my way to pick up a pizza, I'm listening to the radio and I hear " Everyone will always remember where they were when Kobe Bryant died...just like John F. Kennedy....." And I'm thinking " WTAF did I just hear? Really?
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,397 Senior Member
    Life is fragile and precious. Never take it for granted.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,891 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    So...on my way to pick up a pizza, I'm listening to the radio and I hear " Everyone will always remember where they were when Kobe Bryant died...just like John F. Kennedy....." And I'm thinking " WTAF did I just hear? Really?
    If it weren’t for the kids involved I’d have forgotten about it already. Somebody’s arrogance got everyone on board killed. Was it the pilot thinking he was Superman and could fly though anything or his demanding boss. I guess we’ll never know really who made that fatal decision.
    may those who perished Rest In Peace.

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,094 Senior Member
    edited January 28 #23
    A patient of mine died Sunday too. His death meant more to me than Kobe's.

Nothing against Kobe, his daughter, or the other 7 souls on board. It's just that I don't know them from Adam's house cat, where as I had frequent interactions with my, now, former patient.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,670 Senior Member
    There was a video on facebook that purported to be THE video of Kobe's helicopter going down. At first it was gliding around, nothing seemed out of place, but then it went off-screen for a moment and when it came back on the thing was spinning and going down fast. I watched the it crash at the bottom of a canyon and burst into flames immediately. Nothing could have survived that. There were people in the background screaming and crying. Pretty sad, if you ask me. I wouldn't have wanted to be there in person to witness that.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,923 Senior Member
    Looked awfully like a VFR pilot flying in IFR conditions...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,826 Senior Member
    It's sad when nine people die tragically, but the very next day a USAF plane was shot down in Afganistan killing all five on board!! Not a word on national news about five real hero's dying!!
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,795 Senior Member
    Big Al1 said:
    It's sad when nine people die tragically, but the very next day a USAF plane was shot down in Afganistan killing all five on board!! Not a word on national news about five real hero's dying!!
    Tough to even find any info in the news...
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    I don't know where you guys get your news, but I seen it all over the place... then I crossed my fingers and anxiously waited to see a new post from Sixgun on the forum so I knew it wasn't him on that plane.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    I don't know where you guys get your news, but I seen it all over the place... then I crossed my fingers and anxiously waited to see a new post from Sixgun on the forum so I knew it wasn't him on that plane.
    we wouldn’t want facts to get in the way of a emotional argument would we.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,795 Senior Member
    Just looked at CNN and Fox front page.  Nada...  plenty of Kobe, plenty of impeachment crap.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”