Home Main Category General Firearms

450 Bushmaster - Drvast

Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior MemberPosts: 1,569 Senior Member
edited January 2020 in General Firearms #1
Because we were hunting on land where 100 yards was the norm, my buddy asked to borrow my 450 AR for this weekend’s hunt. 

Results:  total devastation 

On this black buck doe, you can see the massive hole it created.  The internals were a complete and total mess.  He hit the shot from 170 yards (laser measured).

On his second deer (Axis Doe), she basically dropped dead right where he shot her.  Oddly, the entrance wound had meat sticking out of it.  Both deer had half in exit wounds indicating the 250 grain Hornady FTX had not expanded.

My conclusion - the 350 legend is probably a better choice as a deer gun.  Less devastation probably yield less risk of meat loss.  Plus, 350 Legend Ammo is cheaper.

Since I built my 450 Bushmaster AR for fun and likely hog hunts, I am happy.   But, it won’t be my deer gun despite its good accuracy.

Replies

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Yeah, that looks like there had to be expansion.  A cast bullet that doesn’t expand much, if at all, won’t leave that kind of thrash behind.  Do you know how fast it was going?
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,569 Senior Member
    Six-Gun said:
    Yeah, that looks like there had to be expansion.  A cast bullet that doesn’t expand much, if at all, won’t leave that kind of thrash behind.  Do you know how fast it was going?
    Out of a 20 inch barrel which I have, Hornady says it is going 1835 FPS with 1868 of energy @100 yards (the shot pictured).  

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Hmmm...that's definitely concerning.  Many thanks for posting, because it's a good data point and you mirrored what I was planning to do with that very bullet, pretty much to the letter:

The goal was to paper test the same 250 gr. FTX bullet when I return from my current deployment this coming Summer in hopes of using it for next rifle hunting season.  The goal was to lower speeds down to about 2,200 fps at the muzzle using that heavier bullet.  The 2,500 fps muzzle velocity loads I made up with the 200 gr. FTX were 1 MOA accurate out of my RRA upper, but cranking out impact velocities way over the FTX's max impact rating.  Now, I'm thinking even 2,200 fps may be too much.

Looks like plan C - testing/using the 270 gr. Barnes TSX and dropping velocities even further - may be looking like a good idea.  The only other option outside of that is the 245 gr. Hornady Interlock but, per Hornady, the 2,200 fps limit still applies.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.