Home Main Category General Firearms

My new surplus m57

AjamesAjames Posts: 42 Member
edited January 2020 in General Firearms #1

Here iam again with a new weapon. Costumized it a bit tho. Hope you guys like it :)

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,981 Senior Member
    I'm looking for a Tokarev myself, preferably WW II issue Russian, but a Romanian wouldn't be out of the question either. But most of these have a stupid safety crudely installed to make it importable to the US post '68.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,041 Senior Member
    Zorba- get one of the M57s that Classic is importing with the Glock-ish trigger dingus, then replace it with the surplus trigger:

Gun:
    https://www.classicfirearms.com/yugo-ttc-tokarev-ts-cr-surplus-9rd/

Trigger:
    https://www.classicfirearms.com/yugo-m57-original-zastava-trigger/

Then you have one in 100% surplus condition.

Thats what I did for mine. 
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    edited January 2020 #4
    Although I'd really prefer an actual Russian - that is a great alternative. I'm going to noodle on that for a day or so - but I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't bite on it. THANX! Price is right...
    ETA: Trying to buy one now, will have to call in tomorrow to expedite the C&R license ACK from them. They're out of the triggers, but I don't care...
    I'll give ya a free dance lesson next time I see you! >:)

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    Although I'd really prefer an actual Russian - that is a great alternative. I'm going to noodle on that for a day or so - but I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't bite on it. THANX! Price is right...
    ETA: Trying to buy one now, will have to call in tomorrow to expedite the C&R license ACK from them. They're out of the triggers, but I don't care...
    This just became a killer deal for all parties involved (including those of us who get to see the video of the dance lesson).
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,324 Senior Member
    OK. . .I'm interested.  Have had a minor bug for a Tok for a while, but the safeties have been a deal breaker.

I think they're what you'd get if a 1911 had sex with. . .I dunno. . .a Moisin-Nagant. . .and the only DNA that transferred during the union was the utility.   The refinement somehow didn't make it out of the bedroom.  :D

But that's OK.  There was a whole lot of "We're here to spare no expense building the best autoloading pistol on earth" that went on with the 1911's development.  I've always thought the Soviet mindset of "Our army is HUGE, undereducated, and half of them are going to get slaughtered charging into MG and artillery fire anyway, so how slick does this REALLY need to be" was an interesting distillation of the basic principles.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Six-Gun said:
    zorba said:
    This just became a killer deal for all parties involved (including those of us who get to see the video of the dance lesson).
    Pretty sure that is NOT going to happen.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    Very nice!   Can you post a pic w/out the accessories?  Are those pretty affordable?  Looks like a fun shoot.
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
    Back to the OP-

i do like the M57, and have always been a fan of the little 7.62 round, and wish someone made a modern single stack pistol in that caliber.  Where did you get the grips?
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Aw come-on! Live a little!
    Still trying to buy - they take their time approving C&R uploads and it goes off sale soon.

)O(
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,986 Senior Member
    Not a fan of such accesories for a surplus pistol but having a 1939 TT-33 (Ultra rare here) I can undestand the modern grip since its ergonomics are awful. A FN-1903 look-alike but built like a tool rather than a pistol. Still once you mange to handle its grip & trigger, it definitely does its work.

That 7.62 Tokarev round packs a good punch despite its age!
    C&R went through, pistol on order. Ordered some ammo too! Pix when it gets here.

)O(
    Hope yours looks as good as mine!

-Mikhail Kalashnikov
    I'm just glad to get one that doesn't have a safety hacked into the frame! I paid the extra $25 for a "better" one.

)O(
  • AjamesAjames Posts: 42 Member
    Grips can be ordered on ebay. Here before the grips but I was a bit to enthousiastic to put the laser on it so no picture before :P
    Antonio said:
     I can undestand the modern grip since its ergonomics are awful. 
    Nah Antonio, you have it wrong.  The ergonomics of the grip are PERFECT once you understand what the Soviets designed it for:

Your target is five feet in front of you, facing away, and on his/her knees. . .
    WWJMBD?

Bigslug said:
    Antonio said:
    Nah Antonio, you have it wrong.  The ergonomics of the grip are PERFECT once you understand what the Soviets designed it for:

Your target is five feet in front of you, facing away, and on his/her knees. . .
    You're a mean boy!  ;)

Can't think of a worse gun for that "job"; the (yuck!) "splash zone" would be awful to say the least. A small .32 or .25ACP would be better. I think the latter was in fact the caliber of choice (In a small Walther pistol?) for the mass executioners of the NKVD during Stalin's purges.
    edited January 2020 #18
    I'm VERY paranoid about recoil springs in used firearms. I really like to replace them. The M57 seems a bit problematic in that regard - it does not use the "standard" Russki recoil spring available from Wolff and elsewhere. It has a captive spring and rod. Its apparently possible to retrofit a standard spring by using a standard barrel bushing and (non-captive) rod. I've seen various and conflicting reports as to whether or not you can use a standard recoil spring and fit it to the Yugo-specific guide rod. Blah, blah, blah, blah...
    BUT
    I found what appears to be a source for this spring - which frankly may or may not be the same as the Wolff, but they at least state that its for the M57 AND include a new pin for reassembly of the guide rod:
    You can also buy it without the new pin for $2 less - I don't feel that lucky! Order placed - more when I know more...
    P.S. Although Classic was out of the original triggers, Apex has 'em in stock for $18.95.

)O(
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,410 Senior Member
    That's just wicked! Very Nice!
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
    Mine arrived 1/2 an hour ago, haven't even broken it down yet although its obviously caked with Cosmoline just from the feel of slide manipulation. It had a tye-wrap jammed in the slide/bbl that made it pretty interesting to get open the first time.
    In any event, I'm pleased thus far - I paid the extra $25 for them to hand pick one, and it looks like they got me a good one. Just the usual high point (no pun!) holster wear. The replacement trigger from Apex arrived yesterday - will be cleaning the gun and installing the "new" trigger directly. Ammo and new recoil spring arriving next week - oh, bought two brand new Zastava mags for it off eBay for $25/ea that are on their way too.
    Wife doesn't like (semi-) automatic pistols, but she dutifully tried the grip as she always does and liked it. I'll get her to shoot a mag through it, but that'll be the extent of her involvement - she likes her revolvers!

)O(
    Antonio said:
    Bigslug said:
    Antonio said:

You're a mean boy!  ;)

Can't think of a worse gun for that "job"; the (yuck!) "splash zone" would be awful to say the least. A small .32 or .25ACP would be better. I think the latter was in fact the caliber of choice (In a small Walther pistol?) for the mass executioners of the NKVD during Stalin's purges.
    There's a lot of ergonomics to contend with when considering mass political executions.  Think about trying to do that job with the trigger pull of the Nagant revolver that the Tokarev replaced.  You'd have commissars coming down with carpal tunnel issues left and right!

While the Tokarev might make a bit more of a splash, it would offer versatility in that the extra penetration would be useful in situations where ammo is limited - it gives you the option of lining up multiples.
    WWJMBD?

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,573 Senior Member
    During the battle of Stalingrad, a general or a field marshal was displeased with his unit's performance.  He got them in formation and walked down the ranks, shooting every 10th man in the head until he emptied his revolver.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    Cleaned, oiled, "new" trigger installed, reassembled. Looks good on the inside as well, not a huge amount of Cosmoline, but "enough". Tiny hints of rust in the bottoms of the slide serrations, barrel not the greatest but will probably shoot "ok". Raw video shot of the whole affair, hopefully it can be edited down into a useful yootoob upload.
    Just waiting on the new recoil spring, ammo, and 2 more mags.

)O(
    I assume by the lack of it on Yugoslavian SKS's, the barrels on these are not chromed?
    WWJMBD?

edited February 2020 #25
    Bigslug said:
    I assume by the lack of it on Yugoslavian SKS's, the barrels on these are not chromed?
    It actually looks like the bbl *is* chromed, at least on the outside. Hmmmm - maybe that "rust" I'm seeing isn't. Sure is stubborn though, so maybe it wasn't cleaned after shooting corrosive ammo. Dunno! *shrug*

)O(
    zorba said:
    Mine arrived 1/2 an hour ago, haven't even broken it down yet although its obviously caked with Cosmoline just from the feel of slide manipulation. It had a tye-wrap jammed in the slide/bbl that made it pretty interesting to get open the first time.
    In any event, I'm pleased thus far - I paid the extra $25 for them to hand pick one, and it looks like they got me a good one. Just the usual high point (no pun!) holster wear. The replacement trigger from Apex arrived yesterday - will be cleaning the gun and installing the "new" trigger directly. Ammo and new recoil spring arriving next week - oh, bought two brand new Zastava mags for it off eBay for $25/ea that are on their way too.
    Wife doesn't like (semi-) automatic pistols, but she dutifully tried the grip as she always does and liked it. I'll get her to shoot a mag through it, but that'll be the extent of her involvement - she likes her revolvers!

Very nice Tok. my Russky one is in 9mm. since 7.62 Tok isn't available here.

Waiting to see a range report.
    The 2 new mags showed up, along with the new recoil spring and ammo.
    I think I'm going to take the guide rod and the new spring down to the local gunsmith - I can *NOT* get the pin to drift out that holds the two piece guide rod together. I couldn't get the extractor pin out either for that matter. Before I break something on the gun - or on my person - I think it would be better to let more experienced hands deal with this...

)O(
    Zorba, I think you're being WAY too nervous about swapping the springs on that thing.

You've got a barely-used, all steel, over-engineered Soviet weapon.  They don't wear out just sitting in warehouses waiting for the War With The West.
    WWJMBD?

Maybe - but like I say, "Springs are cheap, guns are expensive." The spring that's in it is almost 60 years old - maybe its fine, maybe its not, I don't know where its been, what its been doing, or who its been doing it with. Cheap insurance - I'll never have to worry about it again.
    Turns out the pin was peened in place - which actually makes sense when I think about it.

)O(
    Gun folks is good folks. I've liked the "Merritt Island Gun Company" best of the LGSes I've checked out here - Internet pricing on a lot of stuff, and their ammo prices, while not "Internet level", are still quite good - knowledgeable, friendly guys behind the counter, etc, etc.
    I took the afore mentioned guide rod, spring, and pin down there yesterday, told 'em my tale of woe. Guy hammered on it a bit, and had the same problem, took a closer look and determined that the pin was peened in place - which makes sense in retrospect. Although he offered to tell me how to do it myself with a Dremel - at that point I just wanted it done and told him that "I can go away and come back tomorrow.". He agreed that would be best, told me what time they opened up tomorrow, and away I went.
    So today, I arrive, its all done, new pin peened, all good. No charge. Now I realize this was a chickenshit job, but it still took a gunsmith's time, and time is money.
    I won't forget this, and told him so!

)O(
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,573 Senior Member
    Like it with the new trigger...back to original.  I had one with the safety, two mags, one of which didn't work.  A powerful pistol.  Had one in Vietnam but it got stolen.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.