Home Main Category General Firearms

I accidentally bought a scope..

JayJay Senior MemberPosts: 4,349 Senior Member

Kinda late now, but I'd be curious to see what ya'll know about Primary Arms scopes.  I did a quick search of the forum as well as checking reviews on line at different places and a few YouTube videos. Seems to be a pretty consistent "great scope for the money" kind of thing.  Definitely not top shelf, but hopefully not junk.  It appears they are made in the Philippines, as several other scope brands are these days.

So, I'm not very well acquainted with Ebay.  I've bought stuff on there before, but not a lot.  I've been browsing, trying to find a deal on a lightly used Leupold, Nikon or something else decent.  A middle of the road scope for a less that middle of the road price.  Well, I ran across the Primary Arms SLx 4-14x44 FFP with ACSS-HUD reticle set up for the 308 Win.  I intended to add it to my cart and keep shopping and then decide which scope I might want out of my cart and delete the rest.  However, I did not realize that I clicked on the "commit to buy" button on this scope.  Then it wouldn't let me remove it from my cart, saying that I committed to buy it and needed to pay for it.  OOPS!  So, I paid $240 for it.

The purpose of this scope is to replace the Vortex I stole off my LR308 rifle.  Since I have the 450BM up and running, it kinda took the place of the original setup the 308 was filling.  So I wanted to set the 308 up to be able to stretch it's legs a little.  Granted, this scope I bought isn't exactly what I had in mind.  But I'll give it a try.  I have an unknown brand cantilever mount and a Vortex scope level that will probably complete the setup of this scope when it comes in.

It's pretty much this one..

https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-4-14x44mm-riflescope-acss-hud-dmr-5.56-reticle

Replies

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,046 Senior Member
    I have a couple of the PA 1-4x scopes, and a couple of their red dots.  

Like you found- great scope for the money.  Absolutely no complaints with the ones I have.  Used them hunting, and took a few deer with the 1-4x scopes.  

To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,467 Senior Member
    I’ve never looked through one. Would like to. 
    Maybe on the next date with my French Model........:.coming up in a couple months. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,349 Senior Member

B) Of course! Wouldn't mind hearing what you think about it then.

I'm curious to look through it when I get it too.  And see how that reticle works out.  Doesn't look too horribly cluttered and should be able to be dialed just as well if it tracks well.  The illumination feature is not something I really care for, but it's there...  I kinda like the looks of the AO adjustment on it, if it works properly. I'm not very knowledgeable on using Mil adjustments. All things to find out when I get it, I guess. 

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    PA scopes are very poplar on another forum I frequent. There they claim they're quality for the money. And from what I hear there, they have really good optics for the price. But if you got this off Ebay for $240 it probably retails for $350-$400. So you got a really good deal on a quality scope.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

I'm not sure they make the one I got any more.  It doesn't show up on their website. The similar 5.56 version seems to go for $279 retail. The $240 I paid includes tax and shipping, since my state collects sales tax on internet purchases.  So not a great deal, but not bad.  At least $240 doesn't break the bank for an unknown to me scope.  It is supposed to be brand new, not used.

According to the tracking on it, it's supposed to be delivered today.  Hope to have it mounted and ready to go this evening and try to get it out this weekend if I can.  I also need to install a Timney trigger in my dad's new rifle and take it out for a spin as well as water jug test the 450BM and try to get velocity readings on it. So, I've got 3 guns that need some work.  But since I have projects planned for this weekend, it'll be a matter of being able to take a few hours to go out.

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    edited January 2020 #7
    You're a busy dude! Ha! I've bought a few scopes off Ebay, and got them for as much as $150 or so cheaper. Last year I bought 4 new in the box Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10x40s for between $315 and $320. Those go for $500 Retail. I also saw Zeiss Conquests and Nightforce on for just a little more than what I paid for the Leupolds. You can catch some great deals on used scopes too. But you gotta watch it. Sometimes the seller is less than stellar, and he'll put something up there that's not what he claims. I bought what was told to me a VX-3i 3.5-10x40 on an auction for $292 but when I got it it wasn't a VX-3i, it was a nearly 40 year old Vari X 3. I sent it back and thanks to Ebays great return policy I got my money back. Then I turned around and put that money plus $25 more on another Brand new VX-3i 3.5-10x40. I came out great on that deal. One of the 4 I bought off an auction for like $265 which this time was as advertised and looked brand new and the other 3 I bought from stores that sell off Ebay for like I said between $315 and $320, still a killer deal.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,496 Senior Member
    I hope it works good for you
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Thanks Ernie. 

I got it in and mounted it. First impression, not bad at all. Heavier than I expected. Guess if I’d have paid attention to the specs, 24oz, it’s not a light scope. But I think I can deal with it. It was pretty much last light when I started playing with it. Still, I could snoop around my neighbors barn almost 1/2 mile away and see fine at 14x. The reticle looks pretty crisp. Not a real in depth look with it getting dark, but I think I like it so far.. 🤔
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,208 Senior Member
    That gun/reloading bench/back wall is WAY too organized :)
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
     :D 

It was just that spot where I was working on a couple of guns. The rest of the bench outside the pic is piled with junk.. 🤪
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,208 Senior Member
    Jay said:
     :D 

It was just that spot where I was working on a couple of guns. The rest of the bench outside the pic is piled with junk.. 🤪
    Phew! I thought we were to have to pass the hat and get you some counseling.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Looks like a trip to the range is out of the question for today. Started to go to Lowe’s for project stuff so I can get done and shoot this afternoon. Low tire alert in the truck. Now I’m spending 2 hours at Discount waiting for my truck and still have to go to Lowe’s. 😣Maybe tomorrow... 
  • BamaakIIBamaakII Posts: 421 Member
    I hAve a PA 1-8x24 tactical scope on an AR.  Decent scope but heavy.  Some of their scopes have reticals that are way to busy for me but I got a simple ACSS and I like it.  Turrets are a bit stiff.
    At 24 ounces, mine is definitely heavy.  On a heavy barrel 308 rifle, it adds up.  I'm thinking that gun will get a bipod and will not be a long distance carry gun.  Which is fine, since I now have the 450 and several other guns I can carry for hunting.  I still haven't had a chance to get it out and play with it.  I've had too much stuff to do around my place with warmer temps already coming.  I have a 3 1/2 day weekend coming up and some reloading supplies on the way from Midway.  Loading some ammo and taking it out this weekend is in the plans.