Home Main Category Clubhouse

Marine K-Bar question

JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior MemberPosts: 7,941 Senior Member
One of my prized possessions is a Korean War era Marine K-Bar.  It was given to me by a very good friend who is in his late 80s.  I think his late brother gave it to him.

The knife's original sheath is not with it, and has been replaced by some home made monstrosity, but that's just info provided a background.

Even though the knife is in good condition, it's not very sharp.  So, if it were yours, would you sharpen it and use it, or keep it as is for a collectible?

FWIW, I have plenty of other knives I can use for just about any occasion that arises, and really don't need a serviceable K-Bar.
Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

Replies

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,826 Senior Member
    Sharpen it, and use it to open your C-Rats!!

Seriously, if you don't intend to use it, I'd leave it as is!! Find a correct sheath for it!!
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2507978.m570.l1311.R5.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xk+bar+.TRS0&_nkw=kbar+sheath&_sacat=0
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,783 Senior Member
    Even if I was not going to use it I’d still sharpen it, I hate dull knives.  I’m with Al, I’d find a correct sheath for it.  If I was going to use it I’d give it a sheath upgrade.  There are a couple of guys on eBay that do great work.

Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,094 Senior Member
    As another person who can't stand a dull knife, I, also, say sharpen it, irregardless of if it's every going to be used or not.

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,941 Senior Member
    Thanks, guys.  Good to know where I can find a sheath for it.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,966 Senior Member
    A K-Bar isn't really happy unless it's being used. It doesn't want to be locked up in storage as memorabilia.
    Sharpen it, get a usable sheath and use that blade once in a while. 👍
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,921 Senior Member
    Those old K-Bars were the best of the bunch...put an edge on that thing, get a proper sheath and put it to work...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,663 Senior Member
    This reminds me - I have 2 K-bars and a Camillus that I need to do some work on.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,713 Senior Member
    I remember in 1965 being told we could not sharpen our bayonets and K-bars until just before we were going into combat. I guess the usual Quantico Big Brother BS so that we did not cut ourselves. Didn't matter really--- State Side.

So some went out and bought Buck knives.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,740 Senior Member
    I don't see any advantage to not sharpen it. Won't lose any collector value if you put an edge on that bad boy.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.