Home Main Category Clubhouse

The flu

2»

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,218 Senior Member
    I forgot to mention Pedialyte...if you are running from both ends, fluid replacement is a must...and having some on hand is a great idea...it works...

I avoided flu shots for years until my old country doctor in Kansas told me to pull my head out of my ass and get both of the shots

In the two years following, I have lost four friends/family my age...two to the flu and two to pneumonia... As we get older, we are more susceptible and less able to cope with those bugs...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,318 Senior Member
    Funny you should mention that. Since CA. I've made sure to have a couple grape flavored Pedialytes in the fridge. Helps a lot with electrolytes, which I've gotta stay on top of nowadays.

Damn...Jay.....did you ever think we'd get this old?

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,429 Senior Member
    As a middle school teacher I get the flu shot every year. Haven't had any reactions or the flu. Last yr or yr before I got some kind of bug, but the flu test was negative.  Don't get the pneumonia shot.  Yet.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,723 Senior Member
    I work for a biomedical firm, and every year we get free flu shots at work. Ten years ago, my first year there, I took the shot and couldn't raise my left arm above the shoulder for almost 2 weeks. I've avoided flu shots like the plague (see what I did there?) since then.

But, I may have to rethink this strategy.

Mike
    Yeah I remember that my first time but it gets easier every year you take it.  Last year it was just mildly sore at the site of the shot for a day and I felt a little off overnight.  Then all good.  At our age we have to play with the odd on our side brother.  I’d revisit that decision.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,218 Senior Member
    Funny you should mention that. Since CA. I've made sure to have a couple grape flavored Pedialytes in the fridge. Helps a lot with electrolytes, which I've gotta stay on top of nowadays.

Damn...Jay.....did you ever think we'd get this old?

Mike
    Nope...can't say that I have...don't mind it though...at this point, I have outlived my Dad by 21 years...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,723 Senior Member
    There was a time, and it feels like just a few weeks ago, when we were the young whipper snappers around here. 🤣🤣🤣
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,155 Senior Member
    Kids carry germs that could wipe out the universe and make any survivors curse their good fortune.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,564 Senior Member
    Working in, what amounts to a "closed system hospital" (think more like a nursing home, the patients stay long term and the staff are the only ones going home)
    They give us 2 options, take the flu shot, or wear a mask from the time you walk in the building until you leave. I choose the shot, though I did have the flu as well, but with the shot and Xofluza, I bounced back in 3 days and was back at work on day 4
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Wel, I woke up this morning feeling remarkably well, so I went in to work. Lasted 2 hours then cratered so bad I came back home. Not really sick feeling, as I have for days, but just weak. I sectioned a couple dozen small parts on my mill so our QA dept could inspect some internal features and my hands were cramping so badly I'd have to use my other hand to pull the fingers apart.

There may be a time lapse between "feeling better" and really "being over it".

Mike
    N454casull
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,046 Senior Member
    Wel, I woke up this morning feeling remarkably well, so I went in to work. Lasted 2 hours then cratered so bad I came back home. Not really sick feeling, as I have for days, but just weak. I sectioned a couple dozen small parts on my mill so our QA dept could inspect some internal features and my hands were cramping so badly I'd have to use my other hand to pull the fingers apart.

There may be a time lapse between "feeling better" and really "being over it".

Mike
    I had some virus back in December, it took me a good 3 weeks to have all my energy back, I left work early  few days that first week, just ran out of gas during the day. 
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Yeah, when I had CA I was in the hospital for 7 days, and totally out of it for the 1st 4. 
    I remember bits and pieces of the last 3, then they let me go home.I stayed home for the next week, then returned to work feeling fine. But it was still another week before I could complete a full day.

Strange how you can feel fine one minute then without warning five minutes later your tank is empty.

Mike
    N454casull
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,564 Senior Member
    edited February 2020 #43
    Mike, the cramping is probably electrolyte related, the usual suspects are potassium and magnesium.

With your history, I'd proceed cautiously. Being too low in either can be just as deadly as too high.

FYI, some people talk about how tough and resilient the human body is, and, for the most part it is. But there are some things it's VERY fragile about.

Temperature: outside of an 10-14 degree range, and bad things start happening (90 or less, 104 or more)
    Oxygen saturation: a 10% range

Fluid and electrolyte balances: a very narrow "goldilocks" range (3.5-5.0 millequivalents  per liter {mEq/L} for potassium, 135-145 mEq/L for sodium and 1.7-2.2 mg/deciLiter {100cc} for magnesium)
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.