Home Main Category Clubhouse

Job offer

BamaakIIBamaakII Posts: 322 Member
edited February 2020 in Clubhouse #1
I got an offer from Northurp Grumann today.  Contract for 6-12 months at 62.00/hr.  Problem is its 30min. North of Baltimore.  I haven't answered yet as I have an interview with Raytheon Tommorow for a Texas contract position.  I'd much prefer that one.  Also one in Mn. Pending.  Man MD is about as anti gun as it gets.  Do I dare go to liberal country unarmed?

Replies

• AccipiterAccipiter New Member Posts: 887 Senior Member
    My dad worked for both at various times.  He was in Indiana, Texas, Alabama, California, and England.  They had him all over the place.  He retired a decade ago and couldn’t be happier.
    Apparently free thought is punished, and conformity is required, while peckerless cowards run the show.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

Ah......One savors the hypocrisy!

Karma.........It’s a bitch.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,038 Senior Member
    What town in MN?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • BamaakIIBamaakII Posts: 322 Member
    South Minneapolis, general dynamics.
    edited February 2020 #5
    The gloves come off tomorrow as our MN legislative session resumes, we will see in a couple months if we lose gun rights
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Is that a decent area.
    Oh yeah, you might not want want to buy a house right in south Minneapolis, but all of the surrounding suburbs are nice, St. Louis Park, Crystal, New Hope, Edina are good areas with good schools, you need to figure out which residence will give you the easiest commute, south of 494 is good too, holler if you are in town or if you take the job, I am 90 minutes west on 94 with my foot on it. DeanC lived in the burbs north of Mpls for a long time and he is in St. Paul now, he will have a handle on the areas to stay away from.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,159 Senior Member
    You should probably also check the cost of living in the different areas.  A king's ransom in one place is starvation wages in another.

Where in Texas is the Raytheon position?
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    Well Mn is out.  Interview with Raytheon this afternoon.  Its McKinney tx.  north of Plano.
    BamaakII said:
    Well Mn is out.  Interview with Raytheon this afternoon.  Its McKinney tx.  north of Plano.
    Thats too bad, would have been happy to assimilate you :) Good luck, hope you find a job you like that pays more than enough.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,159 Senior Member
    McKinney should be a good area to live in.  Housing might be a bit high, but there may be outlying small towns that are more reasonable.  I'm not really sure.

Texas doesn't have state income tax, but makes up for it with a high property tax.  If it's a short term situation for you, you'll probably be renting, though.  Still, your rent payment will be covering the owners taxes.

The DFW area is booming now.  Good luck.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    I don't think I did really great I. The interview on the tx job.  Not awful but not great.  They aren't deciding for a week or so he said but have to accept/reject Balt. Job buy tomorrow.  May sound silly but I feel like a kid about to leave home for the first time, having real reservations about it.  I keep telling myself it would be silly to turn down that kind of money but at what personal cost.  Missing family and friends would suck.  Not shooting matches would suck.  I could probably drive a couple hours and find a place in PA to shoot I guess.  Gonna look into that tonight, it may help.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,132 Senior Member
    If they are hiring you as a contractor for an hourly rate, just be aware that you will have to pay your own taxes on that money. And if that is the case, I would make damn sure to work 70-80 hours a week... being far from home and not knowing anyone. You are there to make money, so make money!
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,437 Senior Member
    something to consider.

Its not like you will be there forever.  I would look at who has better benefits, $$ and taxes. So you can save as much as you can.

Then milk it for as long as you can or want.

The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • AccipiterAccipiter New Member Posts: 887 Senior Member
    If you need the the money, you need the money.  Sometimes life deals a crap sandwich.  All you can do is eat it one bite at a time, and hope desert comes from the freezer, and not the asshole.  
    Apparently free thought is punished, and conformity is required, while peckerless cowards run the show.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

Ah......One savors the hypocrisy!

Karma.........It’s a bitch.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,317 Senior Member
    edited February 2020 #16
    Jerm brings up a very valid point. A contract worker is responsible for not only his share of taxes, but also the "contributary" portion the employer usually pays. I did the math once and IIRC, $60/hr actually works out to well under $30 actual cash depending on your personal tax situation. It was pretty grim in my case.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,717 Senior Member
    Congrats on having good options. Hope you get it all sorted out in your favor.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

edited February 2020 #18
    I need to check out the tax issues y'all bring up.  One thing the do is take like 25% of your rate and call it per diem which is not taxable and meant to offset housing costs.  Thanks for the info, that could definitely factor in

edited February 2020 #19
    Well I found out what alpha said is correct, if you request to be a 1099 employee, like you are a company, yes you are responsible for all the tax contributions.  I would be a W2 employee and of my quoted rate, 38.50 is what I would be taxed on for the first 40 hours.  23.50 would be considered per diem and not taxable for the first 40 hours.  OT you get the shaft and pay taxes on full rate.  I did also find a uspsa range not far in MD.  Alpha maybe you know, when you say register ARs, is that any gun that looks like an AR, to include 9mm ARs or .22s?  Do they need to be registered to transport them if say I lived in PA?
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,104 Senior Member
    The State is ALWAYS there, looking for a handout. Always.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Vic's ViewpointVic's Viewpoint Senior Member Posts: 1,207 Senior Member
    Christ, Alpha knows more about MD than I do, and I live here!  I didn't know there were 3-gun matches in MD!  Been sorta lookin' for 'em!  Anyway, he's right.  MD isn't perfect, but it's OK, especially for a short-term gig like yours;  it's one of the best states in the country to be FROM !!  One other thing:  forget about concealed carry.  You gotta have good, verifiable reasons coming out your...……..um...……….."ears" specifically excluding self-defense, plus attend a state-mandated shooting skills class, plus pay a high application fee, and the license is only good for two years, and is NOT renewable;  you gotta re-apply and start from scratch.  That's the kind of hateful, bureaucratic nightmare MD is.  Still, were I a younger dude in your situation, I would definitely try for that job.  It'll be a valuable ticket-punch, good money while doing it, etc.  JMPO
    Member formerly known as "vlafrank."
    I turned down the MD job, way to many negatives vs one positive which was money.  I don't need it that bad to be unhappy, even for a year.  Plus I thougt, actually was told I had the job in Texas only to find out the Raytheon hiring manager lied.  So I'll find something more to liking hopefully in a desirable place.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,357 Senior Member
    Good luck on the continuing search
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov