Home Main Category Clubhouse

Hearing aid advice, please?

JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior MemberPosts: 8,162 Senior Member
I know I'm not the only forum member who needs them, but I've been putting it off for years.  I finally have decided to bite the bullet and get some (probably one for each ear), but could use some advice from those with experience.

Type loud, please.
Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

Replies

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,326 Senior Member
    Jerry,

Give me a little bit of time to get hold of my FIL. He's played musical chairs with hearing aids for the past 10 or so years but I think he found some a couple years ago that he really likes.

He and my MIL are in Portugal right now, and they often turn off their phones while traveling. But I'll get back to you.

On the upside, he says having "selective" hearing has been a greatly appreciated feature that's not usually brought up by the doctor. :)

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,162 Senior Member
    I understand all about selective hearing, Mike.  But Kathy's about to, well, never mind what she's about to do if I don't do something about my hearing.

Looking forward to your FIL's range report.
    Jerry

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,114 Senior Member
    My wife and I both need them - but as yet haven't gotten them as we just don't want to be bothered with them. Eventually, we'll have to I'm sure - but in the meantime I'm actually thinking about an ear trumpet!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,739 Senior Member
    I know I'm not the only forum member who needs them, but I've been putting it off for years.  I finally have decided to bite the bullet and get some (probably one for each ear), but could use some advice from those with experience.

Type loud, please.
    My FIL was a very wise man with his money and he got all his hearing aides at Costco.  The service was great and he said he could not beat the prices.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

I've heard good things about Costco hearing aids.  Unfortunately, the nearest one is over 100 miles from here.  There is, though, a Sam's here that has a hearing aid diagnostic center, and I have made an appointment for this Saturday to see what they can do.

I've shopped both Costco and Sam's, and they are usually comparable in price and quality.  
    Jerry

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,326 Senior Member
    My FIL says the most important thing is finding a good audiologist. (How that's defined, I haven't a clue, but there you have it). Beyond that.......

#1- Comfort. A hearing aid that restores 80% of your hearing that you'll wear 80% of the time is better than one that restores it 100% that will spend 50% of it's time in your shirt pocket.

Since he's out of the country right now, he doesn't have access to his brand, model#, etc., but said he consulted a private practice audiologist but bought the devices themself at Costco.

And he said you won't lose your selective hearing option. They have volume control. Says it makes long road trips with passengers more better.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,981 Senior Member
    I have had hearing aids now for 3 years, my Ins. paid about $1000 and I had to pay the same,these were the cheapest they had and all I could afford, I hate them the main reason i got them was to listen to TV late at nite, all they did was accentuate all the other noise, took them back 5 -6 times having the re adjusted finely gave up, now they just collect dust. 

Now a relative of mine who has been using them for over 10 years, let me try his, they are completely programmable from his cell phone, we sat in his living room turned down the TV and he blocked out all the background noise and i heard the TV fine, when I took them off I could barely hear the TV but couldnt understand anything.

His aids were about $3500.00 each, far more than I can afford. If you (or I) could afford programmable aids, thats the way to go.

Please realize this is only MY opinion from my limited experience.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,739 Senior Member
    I've heard good things about Costco hearing aids.  Unfortunately, the nearest one is over 100 miles from here.  There is, though, a Sam's here that has a hearing aid diagnostic center, and I have made an appointment for this Saturday to see what they can do.

I've shopped both Costco and Sam's, and they are usually comparable in price and quality.  
    I was a Sam’s guy until I moved here and Costco is the only local choice.  Same-same...
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,429 Senior Member
    If you're a veteran go to the VA. My dad's gotten 2 or 3 pair through them
    RugerFan said:
    If you're a veteran go to the VA. My dad's gotten 2 or 3 pair through them
    Yeah I'm a vet just never signed up, I might just have to do it.

JAY
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,366 Senior Member
    WHAT?!?
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,429 Senior Member
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,575 Senior Member
    "Did you say something to me?"

Considering the wife talks to herself, and our cat quite a bit, I never know who she's talking to.
    Telling her, "If your talking to me, make sure you've gotten my attention first" multiple times, hasn't worked

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,114 Senior Member
    Eh?
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,331 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    Eh?
    Your Canadian? 
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,366 Senior Member
    Due to lots of stupid decisions in my youth (shooting thousands of 22s without ear pro, running grinders and air tools, hunting without ear plugs, and one full bore 357 mag fired in the enclosed cab of a 1980 Ramcharger), I have really bad tinnitus along with high frequency hearing loss.

about a year ago, I missed something critical being said in a business meeting, so I decided to see an audiologist. I ended up being fitted with some devices that are part of a tinnitus retraining therapy where the hearing aids play constant “pink noise” that helps cancel out the tinnitus and trains the brain to ignore the tinnitus. It works somewhat and I have had a handful of tinnitus free days. 

The devices I was fitted with were Oticon Opn 2 miniRITE hearng aids. They are very small and almost unnoticeable, and are controlled by your phone. You can stream music/ audio off you phone, adjust for speech in noise, and even send listen from the mic on your phone to your ears. 

If you were closer to Austin, I would recommend my audiologist. 

Still hard to believe I’m wearing these and I’m not even close to being 50 yet.

oh well.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Thanks for all the input and advice, guys.  Hopefully, Sam's will have what I need.  If not, I'll find the closest Costco and try them.
    Jerry

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,016 Senior Member
    I've got VA hearing aids which are very good.  Hearing aids are expensive otherwise.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,849 Senior Member
    If you get programable ones be sure that they cover normal speech frequencies of the female voice or they will not help with TV.

With a lot of TV shows I can only understand the men. I hear the women talking, but, it is often just garble.

The best thing I found for watching TV is a transmitter from Radio Shak that plugs into the TV and transmits to a receiver speaker next to me. The hearing aides I have then clear it up to a understandable level; however, I can get along without the hearing aides with that system.

The transmission does interfere with  WI-FI and my laptop and causes Clean to turn the sound off on the TV and listen to my speaker, thereby not giving her the best TV  listening.  
    So enucination of the person speaking still is an issue with hearing aide use.
    The best thing i have found for TV is the BlueVibe 2TV wireless duel headset TV connection kit 2 headsets, duel charger, transmitter and power cable, etc ordered it thru Walmart  $79.99.

As bad as my hearing is I dont need aids for everyday use.

JAY
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,016 Senior Member
    There is still a Radio Shack?
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    Gene L said:
    There is still a Radio Shack?
    Not sure a web page came up for them----then clicked on contact ue and got chruchfield Corp.
    jaywapti said:
    The best thing i have found for TV is the BlueVibe 2TV wireless duel headset TV connection kit 2 headsets, duel charger, transmitter and power cable, etc ordered it thru Walmart  $79.99.

JAY
    That looks very good; could not use it with my hearing aides maybe all of them.

They squeal badly with a headset  on.

But, should be good without them and should not interfere with Clean.
    NN said:
    jaywapti said:

JAY
    That looks very good; could not use it with my hearing aides maybe all of them.

They squeal badly with a headset  on.

But, should be good without them and should not interfere with Clean.

For me the best way to use them power up the head set, when the TV sound comes on turn the TV sound off (with remote) and adjust the volume with the head set up and down buttons. If you try to use the headset with the TV volume up you'll hear the TV sound twice a split second apart and you wont understand anything.

JAY
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,438 Senior Member
    Jerry,

Give me a little bit of time to get hold of my FIL. He's played musical chairs with hearing aids for the past 10 or so years but I think he found some a couple years ago that he really likes.

that's what my dad is going through.

what you may find is that depending on how bad your hearing loss, you may have to play around with them.

If you have any medical insurance or insurance that will cover those things, i would go that route first.  Hopefully they will pay for most if not all.  

Then if they cant do anything for you go outside.  

But you may want to look at less expensive first and maybe work your way up to expensive.

also i would have a checkup to make sure you dont have some ear canal blockage
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
    I'm going to an audiologist tomorrow.  I hope he checks me out thoroughly.
    Jerry

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,331 Senior Member
    ilove22s said:
    Jerry,

also i would have a checkup to make sure you dont have some ear canal blockage
    Yes, have yourself checked out well for blockage.  I used to get severe infections in my ear and thought I had just lost that much hearing from it.  Doc had the nurse flush my ear
    canals with warm water and peroxide.  I was shocked on the mount of stuff that came out.  and how much my hearing improved 
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    I visited an audiologist Saturday.  He test me (including check inside my ear), and determined my hearing loss was severe in both ears.  I bought a high end set, but have a 90 day money back guarantee if they don't do the trick.  I expect I'll need to make several trips back to see the audiologist to get the settings exactly right.

So far, the left heard aid seems to be set about right, but the right one still needs some fine tuning.

And, I can hear much better with them than without them.

Thanks for all the good advice.
    Jerry