Home Main Category Clubhouse

Austin, TX questions

RugerFanRugerFan Senior MemberPosts: 2,429 Senior Member
Does anyone here live in the Austin area or familiar with the area? My parents and I have to go there next week for a funeral and I have some questions before I book a flight.

I've found a flight from Memphis arriving in Austin Bergstrom at 5:13 pm. Is it possible to make it from the airport car rental counter to a funeral home in Pflugerville for the 5pm-8pm visitation? Obviously we wouldn't be there by 5.

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,570 Senior Member
    I know a few members that should be familiar with the area. It's a "major" metropolitan area, and the few times I've been there, traffic was a MESS, so personally, I'd probably look for an earlier flight, instead of rush hour.

Also, something to remember, their motto is, "Keep Austin Weird"
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,797 Senior Member
    Traffic sucks. No matter the time of day. Plan accordingly. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,429 Senior Member
    That's the only flight available so I booked it. May not make it to visitation but the funeral is the next day so we'll be ok.

I appreciate y'all taking the time to respond!
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,364 Senior Member
    I live in South Austin. 5:13 landing to Pflugerville by 8 will be tight.  ABIA is under construction, and getting bags and a car will take some time, then the traffic will kill you.  

No matter what GPS says, don’t take I-35. Take a toll road. It sucks that you have to pay, but it is what it is.  

If you have some spare time shoot me a note. Would love to say hi. 
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Thanks. I've glanced at a map. I'll talk to my cousin later but I suspect I may be better off going back around east of the airport. I can't remember what the highway was but I saw what appeared to be a major road east of Bergstrom North and west toward 35. It may be farther in miles but less traffic hassles. 

I'd love to meet you. I'll see what happens. 
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,797 Senior Member
    Austin sucks. Every day. All day.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,046 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    They have HUGE bucks right in their backyards just begging to be drug into a garage, at night, a moonless night, after everyone is asleep, and the dogs are put away.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    I take it you don't work for the Austin Chamber of Commerce?
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,828 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    The last time I was there it was a beautiful city.  That was in 1968...  :'(
    No good deed goes unpunished...
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,107 Senior Member
    Just don't yell "AUDITORIUM!" at a crowded fire in Austin.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    Zee said:
    Yes it does. 

To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,161 Senior Member
    The nice thing about Austin is that you can drive 20 miles in any direction and be in Texas.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    RugerFan said:
    Thanks. I've glanced at a map. I'll talk to my cousin later but I suspect I may be better off going back around east of the airport. I can't remember what the highway was but I saw what appeared to be a major road east of Bergstrom North and west toward 35. It may be farther in miles but less traffic hassles. 

I'd love to meet you. I'll see what happens. 
    That’s one of the toll roads if I’m reading it right. It’s a good way to get north, but the speed limit is 80- so when there is a wreck (and it happens a lot- worst I’ve seen was when someone plowed a 200+ pound pig at almost 100mph) it’s bad and ties up all the lanes
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    What about 130 to 45 to I-35?

Is 130 a toll road? If so, do you pay at the toll booth? We'll be in a rental car, will there be a "fast pass" kinda thing on the car that I can put $on at the car rental counter?

130 and 45 (well, most of 45) are toll roads.  That sounds like the way to go, with the best chance of making it on time.

And yes- you can get the “TXTag” on the rental car.  There are no toll booths (well, there are, but they aren't manned.  Another great waste of public resources- built the toll booths, then stopped manning them less than a year later).  

I could go on an epic rant about how stupid and mismanaged the toll roads are.  But that is for another thread.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    edited February 2020 #17
    Thanks.  I'll ck on that before I reserve a car.

My mother got 1 of her nephews to drive her out there last week. When I mentioned toll roads she said she guessed she would be getting a bill because they went thru 2 toll booths but no where to pay. Is she gonna get a bill or a ticket?
    A bill. It’s “pay by mail” if you don’t have the tag
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,938 Senior Member

I avoid Austin at all costs.  But then, I almost never have any reason to go there.

I had never taken a toll road until a couple of years ago in Denver on my way to Loveland.  I'm just too cheap.  After driving since 4AM with one stop in Raton for fuel and lunch, I was DONE driving and was approaching Denver at rush hour, pulling a bass boat.  And my GPS warned me that there was a wreck ahead, adding an hour to my drive time. Toll road it is!  The toll road was worth every penny.  Especially since they never sent me a bill. I guess the boat covered my truck plate and the boat trailer plate was under the rear step, just behind the trailer tire.  Maybe it couldn't get either plate.. I don't know.  I was told that the tolls up there were hit or miss whether you got a bill or not. But it was MUCH better than going up 25 through Denver during rush hour pulling a trailer.. 

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,319 Senior Member
    My experience with toll roads ( with the exception of the Pennsylvania Turnpike, 40 years ago) has been great. If I can cut an hour to an hour and a half off my drive for $5, I'm gonna do it every single time.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    Well, we made it to Austin. My 83 yo dad fell on the escalator at the airport. With the help of a willing stranger we were able to get him up. EMS had been called, they ck'd him out and he is pretty much ok. He did tell us later that he hurt his back. His traveling days are over. 

Bulls, I would love to meet you but I just don't think I'll have an opportunity.  
    I understand. And, unfortunately work called me up to Dallas today.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    I hope your dad is OK. Prayers out for him
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Traffic, the amount of cars,  hasn't been that bad. I have tried to time our driving to non-busy times.

The biggest issue I've had us the lack of signage. The road our hotel is on is named after someone. And that's what Google maps uses. However, I've seen exactly ONE sign with that name on it. It was confusing as hell trying to get here Thursday night.
    The graveside portion of the funeral was nice(the chapel part was too, but... )

My uncle was a 36 year veteran of the Marines(2 yrs) and the Air Force and Reserves: retired Master Sergeant. He had full military honors at the graveside service . An Honor Guard served as pall bearers for that portion, 3 gun salute, and Taps. I haven't been to a military funeral in years. Very moving. 
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    130 and 45 (well, most of 45) are toll roads.  That sounds like the way to go, with the best chance of making it on time.

And yes- you can get the “TXTag” on the rental car.  There are no toll booths (well, there are, but they aren't manned.  Another great waste of public resources- built the toll booths, then stopped manning them less than a year later).  

I could go on an epic rant about how stupid and mismanaged the toll roads are.  But that is for another thread.

And I would agree with your every word. I love Houston's toll roads, Austins were designed at the state hospital by inmates.
    RugerFan said:
    The graveside portion of the funeral was nice(the chapel part was too, but... )

My uncle was a 36 year veteran of the Marines(2 yrs) and the Air Force and Reserves: retired Master Sergeant. He had full military honors at the graveside service . An Honor Guard served as pall bearers for that portion, 3 gun salute, and Taps. I haven't been to a military funeral in years. Very moving. 

Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member

And I would agree with your every word. I love houston's toll roads. Austins were designed at the State Hospital by the inmates. They're insane.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.