Home Main Category General Firearms

My own .220 Swift!

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 23,549 Senior Member
edited February 16 in General Firearms #1
If you recall, I worked on a friends built .220 Swift awhile back. Getting a load developed for deer was limiting with the 14T of the barrel. But, we got it done using 60gr Hornady HPFB bullets. 
Well, I took a young hunter out a couple weeks ago and had a very successful hunt. His father appreciated it enough to gift me a brand new Remington 700 VSSF in .220 Swift!!  I picked it up last week. 

Never being one to leave well enough alone, I started switching out parts. 
The factory trigger was set at 3.8 lbs and couldn’t adjust below 3.5 lbs. It got yanked and replaced with a 1.4 lb 40x Trigger. The factory stock was replaced with an HS Precision Varmint/Tactical Stock. 
I ordered a set of Talley Lightweight rings as I’d used in the past. These were a little off in that the scope bound up in the channel like crazy. Some judicious lapping solves the problem. 

Mounted a Leupold 4.5-14x and called her reborn. 

I then cleaned/lapped the barrel and measured the throat for bullet seating. 
Here is where I don’t get Remington.  They make a Varmint rifle and twist the barrel for light bullets, then throat the chamber so as no light bullet can reach the lands without considerable jump!
I tried:
52gr Nosler BTHP Match
52gr Remington FBHP Match
52gr Hornady ELD-Match 
None of them reached the lands with enough bullet in the case neck to seat. 
So, I tried the 55gr Midway FBHP Dogtown Bullet (Made by Nosler) and it finally had enough ass to fit in the case neck only .010” off the lands. 

Well, seating so long, the pressure was assumed to be reduced considerably. Comparing Hodgdon data with the powders I had on hand, I chose H4895 as the first to start with. 
36.5gr
37.0gr (Book Max)
37.5gr
38.0gr
All but the starting load shot well. 

37.0gr

38.0gr

But the winner was 37.5gr H4895 with the lowest SD and ES. I was hoping to break 3,800 fps with my chosen load (38.0gr did) but 3,777 fps should kill a yote well enough and .344” @ 100yrds is acceptable accuracy for me. 

Kinda happy finding a load the first time out. My friend’s rifle was not so easy. I was hoping to use lighter bullets, but the Dogtown bullets shoot well, run cheap, and have good reviews on varmint performance. They should do the job. I know this rifle is a close mimic of my .22-250 in book performance. But, that gun has an 8T barrel and runs 60/80gr bullets. It can be used for deer. This one will be a straight up Varmint Rifle for me and my boy. 

I’m a Happy Camper. 
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    That stock looks like a big improvement from the original.

I've read that the Barnes monolithic copper bullets prefer a jump to the lands. I don't have any confirming experience. Maybe don't matter with your current results being so good.

Small calibers with big results are great!
  • JunkCollectorJunkCollector Posts: 522 Senior Member
    edited February 16 #3

Nice set up and results.
    You should try some bullets "with" jump.
    Call it science or pretend it's a crony
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,549 Senior Member

Nice set up and results.
    You should try some bullets "with" jump.
    Call it science or pretend it's a crony
    I probably will. Just for science. And.......speed. 
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 6,770 Senior Member
    Very nice!

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • AccipiterAccipiter New Member Posts: 884 Senior Member
    You will will soon need to retire, just so you can reload full time for the various cartridges you have.
    Apparently free thought is punished, and conformity is required, while peckerless cowards run the show.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

Ah......One savors the hypocrisy.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,152 Senior Member
    Zee said:

I then cleaned/lapped the barrel and measured the throat for bullet seating. 
    Here is where I don’t get Remington.  They make a Varmint rifle and twist the barrel for light bullets, then throat the chamber so as no light bullet can reach the lands without considerable jump!

(Yes, the ability to edit quotes on this forum reboot still sucks!)

And they give you this combination of inadequate twist and excessive throat with a cartridge that is perfectly capable of eroding the throat out even longer in short order.  The good news is that it won't take you long to burn it out to uselessness and you can re-set it with a new tube.

My Dad has a couple Rolling Blocks and a Hepburn from the last third of the 19th Century.  Nice guns.  Things like your experience keep making me want to send pictures of them to Remington along with a letter asking "What the **** happened to you guys anyway?" 
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,664 Senior Member
    Very Nice
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,123 Senior Member
    Great setup.  Exactly the changes I would've made to a stock Remington these days.  Which scope lapping kit are you using?
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Wheeler. 
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,861 Senior Member
    For a gifter, it looks dang good to me 😏
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

Spk said:
    For a gifter, it looks dang good to me 😏
    My thoughts as well. 

I ain’t passing on a gift horse. 
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,232 Senior Member
    Good build and load development!

This thread makes me want to pull some older Remingtons out of the safe and shoot them. From back when Remington made a good factory rifle with a nice stock. 
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    That thing needs a new barrel. So get with it. You got a couple thousand rounds to shoot to burn that throat out. Then you can put a 1:8 twist on it and go kill deer. I would be squirmin' in my drawers to put a 1:8 on that dude.

I've known several guys around here that hunt with the .220. A couple of 'em had barrels with 1:14 twist and shot deer with 55 grain bullets. It killed 'em like lightning. Of course those were all head and neck shot and if they had deer run away wounded they'd probably never let it be known.

Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • N454casullN454casull Member Posts: 537 Senior Member
    It always amazed me with my Swift, roughly 3,800 was the magic number. When ever I got a new bullet to try it always shot the best at roughly 3,800fps. 
    snake284 said:
    That thing needs a new barrel. So get with it. You got a couple thousand rounds to shoot to burn that throat out. Then you can put a 1:8 twist on it and go kill deer. I would be squirmin' in my drawers to put a 1:8 on that dude.

I've known several guys around here that hunt with the .220. A couple of 'em had barrels with 1:14 twist and shot deer with 55 grain bullets. It killed 'em like lightning. Of course those were all head and neck shot and if they had deer run away wounded they'd probably never let it be known.

I already have an 8T barreled .22-250 Remington. I’m in no hurry to rebarrel this one. It’ll be a Varmint Rifle. 
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,286 Senior Member
    Well that should send the coyotes running to the next zip code.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 1,071 Senior Member
    I like it.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,784 Senior Member
    Looks great.   Now all you need is a town full of prairie poodles!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
    I still chuckle every time I see a post of a new gun from you.  I remember some old member named Black Powder Snipper or something like that (the name never made any sense to me) telling me he had all the guns he'd ever need...  :trollface:

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

GunNut said:
    I still chuckle every time I see a post of a new gun from you.  I remember some old member named Black Powder Snipper or something like that (the name never made any sense to me) telling me he had all the guns he'd ever need...  :trollface:
    What an amateur. 😎
    Zee said:
    GunNut said:
    What an amateur. 😎
    He was young but had a lot of potential. 😁

• RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,256 Senior Member
    There's "needs" and then there's "wants". And ne'er the twain shall meet.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,875 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    Didn't he also say MANY times, that there was no way he'd ever take up reloading???

Kind of like you "Thinning the herd" :D:D:D 
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• gunner81gunner81 Member Posts: 422 Member
    GunNut said:
    I will never say that I've been collecting - shooting for 4-5 years I only have 53 rifles and twice as many pistols and I will never say that I have enough but I did tell my son yesterday after buying a new biggest tool box I could find that I might just have too many tools but I will deny that I ever said it

gunner81 said:
    GunNut said:
    I will never say that I've been collecting - shooting for 4-5 years I only have 53 rifles and twice as many pistols and I will never say that I have enough but I did tell my son yesterday after buying a new biggest tool box I could find that I might just have too many tools but I will deny that I ever said it

I tried explaining that to the young Jedi.  Listen he did not...  But the force is strong with him and he overcame the dark side.

knitepoet said:
    GunNut said:
    Didn't he also say MANY times, that there was no way he'd ever take up reloading???

Kind of like you "Thinning the herd" :D:D:D 
    You hush... 🤬

gunner81 said:
    GunNut said:

I just never count how many I have. Then, I can never have to many. Because if I don’t know.........what’s one more?
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,861 Senior Member
    edited March 12 #29
    Whatever happened to all the "snipers" on this forum? I mean the guys with "sniper" screen names. Some of them were quite entertaining. Ten to twenty years ago you couldn't go to an online forum that didn't have at least two to three "snipers"  there already and maybe a Gecko or two.

That's it, I'm changing my screen name! 😎
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,403 Senior Member
    Olesniper got tired of things here, dunno 'bout the rest. Maybe I should change my name to "belly-sniper"!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    edited March 12 #31
    Zee said:
    snake284 said:

I already have an 8T barreled .22-250 Remington. I’m in no hurry to rebarrel this one. It’ll be a Varmint Rifle. 

Even with a 1-14 twist I'd bet it will stabilize 65 grain spitzers with a good velocity. I wouldn't blink at shooting a 65 grain bullet at a deer.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.