Home Main Category General Firearms

My own .220 Swift!

Replies

• gunner81gunner81 Member Posts: 422 Member
    GunNut said:
    gunner81 said:
    GunNut said:
    I still chuckle every time I see a post of a new gun from you.  I remember some old member named Black Powder Snipper or something like that (the name never made any sense to me) telling me he had all the guns he'd ever need...  :trollface:
    I will never say that I've been collecting - shooting for 4-5 years I only have 53 rifles and twice as many pistols and I will never say that I have enough but I did tell my son yesterday after buying a new biggest tool box I could find that I might just have too many tools but I will deny that I ever said it

I tried explaining that to the young Jedi.  Listen he did not...  But the force is strong with him and he overcame the dark side.

LOL so he saw the light
    Zee said:
    gunner81 said:
    GunNut said:
    I still chuckle every time I see a post of a new gun from you.  I remember some old member named Black Powder Snipper or something like that (the name never made any sense to me) telling me he had all the guns he'd ever need...  :trollface:
    I will never say that I've been collecting - shooting for 4-5 years I only have 53 rifles and twice as many pistols and I will never say that I have enough but I did tell my son yesterday after buying a new biggest tool box I could find that I might just have too many tools but I will deny that I ever said it

I just never count how many I have. Then, I can never have to many. Because if I don’t know.........what’s one more?

I will remember that reasoning it sounds like a plan where I bought my 220's scope sent me an ad they have a Mauser M18 in 243 for under 500.00 and its calling my name.  Anything on the newer Mausers I'm thinking that they have to be a good gun from name alone
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,549 Senior Member
    Well, my buddy with the .220 Swift I loaded for has been culling deer with Depredation Permits. He said he was getting poor penetration and bullet blow-up with the 60gr Hornady Bullets I loaded for him. 
    I asked where he was shooting and he said the shoulder. I told him he was a knucklehead and that was not a shoulder shooting cartridge/bullet combination. Which.......it ain’t!!!  I told him to shoot them in the heart and miss heavy bone.
    It seems some folks want their cake and eat it, too. So, I am experimenting with pulled 62gr Speer Gold Dot Bullets I have. 
    Seating them deeper than I normally want. About .070” off the lands. But, I have to to get them deep enough in the case mouth to have any bearing surface. 

If I can get my 14T barrel to stabilize them and have decent accuracy, I’ll try them in his rifle. 
    That way, he can have a bonded bullet he can shoulder shoot deer with while using a slow twist .220 Swift. 😒
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    We have potential!!

Left handed. My right wing is broken. 😒

41.0gr H4350 @ 3,553 fps. 

41.5gr H4350 @ 3,567 fps. 
    I’m gonna try these two loads again tomorrow and see if they are repeatable. 

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,430 Senior Member
    That is pretty awesome shooting for a temporary lefty
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 said:
    That is pretty awesome shooting for a temporary lefty
    Fundamentals is fundamentals. 😁
    Gonna try and repeat those two loads tomorrow. See which one I go with. 
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,127 Senior Member
    edited March 15 #39
    About time you started shooting correctly.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,127 Senior Member
    Something to think about when shooting fast 22's with slower twist barrels-- because the velocity is faster, the bullets also spin faster and a slower twist will often stabilize a given bullet when compared to a .223.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,286 Senior Member
    Dear Lord, what did you do to yourself now?!?!?
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

Tore the right rotator cuff. Surgery last week. 
    On the road to recovery!!  Said piss on Wearing the sling for 6 weeks. Ditched it and went to the range the day after surgery. 😁
    He’s not the boss of me!  
    Zee said:
    On the road to recovery!!  Said piss on Wearing the sling for 6 weeks. Ditched it and went to the range the day after surgery. 😁
    He’s not the boss of me!  

I can relate to that last part
    Well, the load wasn’t consistent. Patterned like a shotgun today. 

Gonna pull some 64gr Winchester Power Point Bullets and give them a try. 
    Zee said:
    He’s not the boss of me!  
    I’m shocked... 😂. Glad you’re on the mend.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

Still on the quest for an appropriate deer/pig bullet for a slow twist .220 Swift. I just got some 55gr Sierra Game Kings today and loaded up some test rounds. 

The reviews are good in regards to taking deer and pigs. Hopefully they are as accurate as the 55gr Dogtown Bullets I already use. 
    Will see this weekend. 
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,664 Senior Member
    Hope it works out for you.  Any chance changing which side of the gun your on changes things?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    I don’t think so. No as long as I do it right from either side. Screwing up is universal. 😁
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,861 Senior Member
    edited April 9 #49
    Zee said:
    Well, the load wasn’t consistent. Patterned like a shotgun today. 

Gonna pull some 64gr Winchester Power Point Bullets and give them a try. 
    Try to measure the bullet length of those 64 grain Winchesters. You can't change the twist or the bullet length but maybe we can get a good idea of a comfy starting speed. Couldn't hurt.
    You'll find the right bullet/load/charge combo sooner or later. 😁
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

I’m writing off anything above 60 grains. 
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,861 Senior Member
    Got it 👍
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

Life was good today. 
    Tried the new 55gr Sierra GameKings today. The winning load ended up being the exact same powder charge as the 55gr Dogtown HP Bullets. AND........the same ZERO!!   That’s a good day on the range. 

Shot right handed for the first time since surgery 5 weeks ago. Recoil wasn’t and issue with the rifle. Getting the right arm in place took assistance from the left arm to lift and place the elbow as necessary. 
    The wing still ain’t functional. But......it can shoot. 
    I need to shoot a deer with this load now and test the durability of the bullet. 
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,664 Senior Member
    WEll that worked out nearly perfect.  Take care of that arm, you only get two.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Zee said:
    Life was good today. 
    Tried the new 55gr Sierra GameKings today. The winning load ended up being the exact same powder charge as the 55gr Dogtown HP Bullets. AND........the same ZERO!!   That’s a good day on the range. 

Shot right handed for the first time since surgery 5 weeks ago. Recoil wasn’t and issue with the rifle. Getting the right arm in place took assistance from the left arm to lift and place the elbow as necessary. 
    I need to shoot a deer with this load now and test the durability of the bullet. 
    Damn!!!  First try with this bullet?  The Gods smiled on‘ya!

edited April 12 #55
    GunNut said:
    Zee said:
    Life was good today. 

Got it on the first try with the Dogtown Bullets. And most every cartridge bullet combo I try. Folks (Bigslug/Teach for example) make reloading more difficult than it has to be. 
    Research/Measure/Load/Shoot

Done. 

It ain’t rocket surgery!!  
    Zee said:
    GunNut said:
    Zee said:
    Life was good today. 

Got it on the first try with the Dogtown Bullets. And most every cartridge bullet combo I try. Folks (Bigslug/Teach for example) make reloading more difficult than it has to be. 
    Research/Measure/Load/Shoot

Done. 

It ain’t rocket surgery!!  
    😂

Now, some learning points for me. 

The 55gr Dogtown Bullet is a FBHP. I measured the chamber length and seated them .005” off the lands at 2.450” Base to Ogive.  They clocked 3,777 fps and grouped about .2ish inch. 

The 55gr SKG are a boattail bullet and touching the lands, wouldn’t set in the case mouth. So, I seated them deeper than the Dogtown Bullets at 2.350” Base to Ogive. This little bit of seating deeper resulted in approximately 100 fps increase in velocity from 3,777 to 3,864 fps with the same powder charge. 
    Interesting. 
    Diver43 said:
    They’re Bionic now!!  😁
    Zee said:
    Diver43 said:
    They’re Bionic now!!  😁
    Figured most of you is by now...

GunNut said:
    Zee said:
    Diver43 said:
    They’re Bionic now!!  😁
    Figured most of you is by now...
    Getting there. 
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,430 Senior Member
    That is pretty cool, be interesting to see what that bullet does at that velocity on a deer, hope it stays together long enough.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11