Home Main Category General Firearms

The boy’s training continues.

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 24,040 Senior Member
edited February 16 in General Firearms #1
So, yesterday’s challenge was 10 Shots @ 100yrds with a .223 Remington. Stipulation was each shot from a different position using the ATV as support. Each position needed 2 Points of Contact (no bipod or rear bag) for stability. Right (6) AND left (4) handed!!!  I teach adults that can’t skin this cat as fast as The Little Man did. I am impressed. And it takes a lot.  What I have trained a lifetime to figure out (fast alternate positions)...........he is learning at 13 years of age on his first try. 

His training continues. 
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    That's how to do it...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,744 Senior Member
    Way to go!
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,677 Senior Member
    Last picture, Leprosy? ;)
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,899 Senior Member
    The young man obviously has well learned skills. Congrats to him and you. 
    I never could manage to shoot effectively left handed and am now to old and stiff to contort into most of those positions :D
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,969 Senior Member
    Young people learn fast when there's respect.
    Adults who "can't" learn are more prone to be "know it all's" which is why they don't seem to (don't want to) learn something new. You have to prove to them you're right before they'll listen (earn their respect).
    Seems like you have your boy's respect and attention. There won't be much to slow him down. No barriers. Keep up the good work.👍
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    Kids are way more adaptable than we are.

I spent a lot of time cleaning up stuff my son spilled when he was younger. Now I spend a lot of time cleaning up stuff I've spilled well he laughs at my clumsiness. :/
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,040 Senior Member
    sakodude said:
    The young man obviously has well learned skills. Congrats to him and you. 
    I never could manage to shoot effectively left handed and am now to old and stiff to contort into most of those positions :D
    I stretch daily to maintain flexibility for positional shooting............and reduce the chances of old age injuries. The prior seems to be working. The later......not so much. 
    Spk said:
    Young people learn fast when there's respect.
    Adults who "can't" learn are more prone to be "know it all's" which is why they don't seem to (don't want to) learn something new. You have to prove to them you're right before they'll listen (earn their respect).
    Seems like you have your boy's respect and attention. There won't be much to slow him down. No barriers. Keep up the good work.👍
    He always seems to be a quick study. Listens well. Applies. Performs. 

I can’t really ask for a better student. 
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,478 Senior Member
    Very cool! And great shooting!
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
    He’s also getting scary with a BB Gun while zipping around on a Hoverboard!!
    He can hit a tin can at 10 yards, while moving, as he passes by the garage door opening!

And steel targets. 

And even SWINGING plastic bottles while HE is moving as well!!  The bottle swing and he shoots them as he passes the opening while riding his hoverboard. 

He has passed me in this regard.  I tried to hit the can while moving on the hoverboard. I hit it ONCE in 20 tries!  He does it almost on command. 
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,647 Senior Member
    That is pretty cool he has mastered shooting off the hoverboard, bump him up with some recoil from a shotgun? Might be/probably be too dangerous for the hoverboard, but, it is what I would have done at his age o:)
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    We will eventually try the 9mm Ruger Carbine. 
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,262 Senior Member
    NICE!  My successes aren't as advanced, because my protegees are adults or nearly so when I get them, and I don't get to "warp" their brain 24/7, but gratifying all the same. . .

The really amazing cases are often the ones who had zero prior experience before getting proper coaching and get to move on with no bad habits to correct.  My first formal instruction was a DCM/CMP seminar in my early 20's.  Prior to that it was figure it out however and whenever I could.  A pro coach from the time he could walk?  This is gonna be special. :)

You might do two things in the interest of his future:

1.  Get him some proper schooling on clay shooting - he seems to be one of the few that have some immunity to the problems you often see crossing over between rifles and shotguns.

2. Find a youth group that can dangle a smallbore match rifle and the ISSF courses of fire in front of him and see if he bites.  Learning how to stay in a kneeling position for 45 minutes is a lot easier when you're 13 than when you're 40.

There are scholarships to be had and corporate money to be found, amazing as that sounds. Way more interesting than sports with balls.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,829 Senior Member
    Wow, he’s growing fast!  That hoverboard shooting is cool!!!
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

My gun club does offer 4H shotgun training for kids. But, no small bore stuff anywhere near me. 
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,248 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    Taller than Dad? :)

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,829 Senior Member
    JKP said:
    GunNut said:

I don’t see callouses on his knuckles so I’m thinking yep... 😁
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,717 Senior Member
    Nice
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
    JKP said:
    GunNut said:

I still got an inch on him. It won’t be long. 😒
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,374 Senior Member
    And he did it in clogs!
    And he did it in clogs!
    Walmart Crocs. 😁
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,502 Senior Member
    It is so impressive.   I know you are extremely proud.
    Desire, Opportunity, and a Teacher who knows his stuff, and you have a mix for a perfect storm of awesomeness! As he gets older and as you slowly move him to larger caliber rigs and further distances, it will not seem hard for him is my guess.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"