Home Main Category Clubhouse

Working Cattle!

Replies

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,736 Senior Member
    I don't know much about cattle, but I have a friend who grew up around them.  He told me once that you don't own cattle, they own you.
    Jayhawker said:
    I don't know much about cattle, but I have a friend who grew up around them.  He told me once that you don't own cattle, they own you.
    Same goes for any livestock...even poultry..
    You don't own them....you marry them...
    Yep.  Nearly impossible to get babysitters for horses and chickens? 
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,221 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    Jayhawker said:
    Hardest part is getting someone you trust to take care of your critters the way you take care of your critters...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker said:
    GunNut said:
    Jayhawker said:
    Hardest part is getting someone you trust to take care of your critters the way you take care of your critters...
    Oh hell yeah...

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,800 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    Jayhawker said:
    GunNut said:
    Jayhawker said:
    Oh hell yeah...
    That’s why my buddy only wants me taking care of the cattle when he leaves town. 
    We were feeding and petting on everyone this evening. All is well. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,320 Senior Member
    All fine and good, you cowboys.
    I've gotta herd a cat before I go to bed.

See you tomorrow, I hope.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    Zee said:
    GunNut said:
    Jayhawker said:
    GunNut said:
    Jayhawker said:
    Oh hell yeah...
    That’s why my buddy only wants me taking care of the cattle when he leaves town. 
    We were feeding and petting on everyone this evening. All is well. 
    That awesome!  When you own animals that you love but can EASILY hurt an untrained caretaker it’s a real blessing to have friends you trust you can leave in charge.

• farm boyfarm boy Senior Member Posts: 1,001 Senior Member
    The smell from branding and horning is not one you forget easily. I worked for a rancher that did contract feeder calves. That year myself and the hand worked 1200 head in maybe two weeks time. 

I couldn’t taste anything but burnt hair for days after. 

Boss also ran about 400 cow calf pairs. I hated spring calf working, the little ones are way more kicky. 
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,871 Senior Member
    I could never understand how you can taste a smell long after the branding was done. It's not a pleasant taste either.
    Those smells live in your nose for a long time.... :)
    Jayhawker said:
    Hell I still have boots (and my chinks) that smell like horse...

• farm boyfarm boy Senior Member Posts: 1,001 Senior Member
    I could never understand how you can taste a smell long after the branding was done. It's not a pleasant taste either.
    Why is it that the only smells you can taste are bad ones? 
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    GunNut said:
    Jayhawker said:
    GunNut said:
    Jayhawker said:
    I remember going to the Dr. office one day after working cattle...the nurse asked me to get on the scale so I kicked my boots off...she says " You don't have to do that"  I said " Trust me Lady, what I've got on the bottom of these boots you do not want on your scale..."
    Jayhawker said:
    GunNut said:
    Jayhawker said:
    GunNut said:
    Jayhawker said:
    I remember going to the Dr. office one day after working cattle...the nurse asked me to get on the scale so I kicked my boots off...she says " You don't have to do that"  I said " Trust me Lady, what I've got on the bottom of these boots you do not want on your scale..."
     :D  :D:D

After training horses all day a bunch of us were headed to a local bar for some food and beers.  The owner knew us well and was used to us showing up as a group straight from the arena or trail.

I told one of the folks we were working with that day and was going with us to the bar I needed a quick cowboy shower.  She looked at me funny as I walked over to a hose by the barn and sprayed my boots with the nozzle to knock off the worst of the horse **** I've been stepping on all day.   Stomped the boots down twice and went back tp the group.  

Ready!   B)

• kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,871 Senior Member
    farm boy said:

Funny but so true. Gun nut horse crap is not bad. Get some  hog crap on your boots and then get in a vehicle with the heater blowing on your boots, it will cause a person to roll down their window no matter how cold it is.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,110 Senior Member
    That and cow crap.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    I actually like the smell of horse and cow crap.

GunNut said:
    Yep...most peaceful time of the day was early morning in the barn with all the associated smells...miss it a lot...
    Calf scours...not so much...
  • RaftermanRafterman New Member Posts: 261 Member
    After Silence of the Lambs came out some of us adopted the Vicks Vapo Rub trick. It worked but if you didn't bag the clothes you were wearing afterwards you'd smell the nastiness later.
    farm boy said:

Funny but so true. Gun nut horse crap is not bad. Get some  hog crap on your boots and then get in a vehicle with the heater blowing on your boots, it will cause a person to roll down their window no matter how cold it is.
     My Dad stuck his truck in the only mudhole for miles. He'd recently been discharged from the hospital and was in no shape to dig, so that job fell to me. Turned out to be a hog wallow. Since he'd high centered, I had to get under the truck and do some serious digging. Even after multiple showers, I could still smell it.

Mike
    N454casull
    farm boy said:

My Dad stuck his truck in the only mudhole for miles. He'd recently been discharged from the hospital and was in no shape to dig, so that job fell to me. Turned out to be a hog wallow. Since he'd high centered, I had to get under the truck and do some serious digging. Even after multiple showers, I could still smell it.

Mike
    Brother I listen to your stories and wonder, "How is he still alive???".   I would have told dad his truck was a total loss...  :D

Jayhawker said:
    GunNut said:
    Yep...most peaceful time of the day was early morning in the barn with all the associated smells...miss it a lot...
    Calf scours...not so much...
    Morning feeding was the best!!!  Man I miss that...  I also had a pretty big manure spreader considering the size of our place.  We'd drive it into the aisle in the barn and just shovel right on to it.  It would hold about a week of manure and Dad was first in line on Saturday mornings to go spread manure in the back field behind the barn.  I'd get my coffee, light a cigar, get on my tractor and happily drive around throwing a rooster tail of horse **** behind me for a bit.  Not so sure my neighbors enjoyed it as much as I did...  :D

GunNut said:
    farm boy said:

Mike
    Brother I listen to your stories and wonder, "How is he still alive???".   I would have told dad his truck was a total loss...  :D
    I wish I could say it's due to my daring nature and personal perseverance, but, truthfully, it's invariably been due to misfortune and happenstance.

Mike
    N454casull
    edited March 2020 #54
    You can ask JerryBobCo.....I missed the smallest rattlesnake I've ever seen with 7 shots from a 9mm at a range of 3 feet. Jerry proceeded to stomp it with one foot and cut off its head with a pocketknife. A couple weeks later, I killed the second biggest one I've ever encountered with a single shot from the same gun at 15 feet. I'd been sitting beside it all day long.

I can't explain these things. They just happen to me.

Mike
    N454casull
    GunNut said:
    farm boy said:

Mike
    I wish I could say it's due to my daring nature and personal perseverance, but, truthfully, it's invariably been due to misfortune and happenstance.

Mike
    I think an old William Shakespeare quote is appropriate here:

"Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them."

• GilaGila Posts: 1,828 Senior Member
    John Deere Funny Quotes QuotesGram
    No good deed goes unpunished...
    Gila said:
    John Deere Funny Quotes QuotesGram
    🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

We had one small incident when my daughter engaged the PTO a little too close to the barn.  That mistake was never repeated!

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,800 Senior Member
    edited March 2020 #58

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Great pictures!

• VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,497 Senior Member
     Dropped the head gate on a Black Angry bull and he did what Dirty Dan did, except with feeling. The only thing we were doing to him was ear tags and mite juice on his back and 2 shots. Our head gate was just the metal gate mounted to 8x8's set into the ground with oak sides and places to stand on both sides with a squeeze gate before it.

Down to his knees, back up and reared lifting the head gate pulling the posts out of the ground with three guys on it. Back down he went. Got the tags on and the mite stuff and cut him loose. He ran straight through 5 strand barb wire and into the woods. You could hear him bellow for about 2 weeks until we got enough people and 2 horses to get him to a trailer. Then his butt became mean burger.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,145 Senior Member
    Nice work, working cows like that for a weekend can take it out a lot of folks.  Most of the wooden cattle head gates and chutes around here are gone.  Like the one we had when I was a kid!
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21