Home Main Category General Firearms

Can anyone tell me what this is?

GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,759 Senior Member
Obviously a scope mount of some sort but for what?  M1A maybe?  Don’t remember where I got it... 

Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

Replies

• AccipiterAccipiter New Member Posts: 885 Senior Member
    Not an M1A.  At least not any I have seen.  Does not look like any AK type I have seen either.
    Apparently free thought is punished, and conformity is required, while peckerless cowards run the show.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

Ah......One savors the hypocrisy!

Karma.........It’s a bitch.
    Here are the 2 types of M1A mounts I have

Apparently free thought is punished, and conformity is required, while peckerless cowards run the show.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,759 Senior Member
    Hummmm, it fits NOTHING I currently own (that I can think of).

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,637 Senior Member
    Obviously, you need to buy a gun to fit to it...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    Ding ding ding.  Enabling par excellence.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

• sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,888 Senior Member
    Looks kind of like a mount for a mini 14 pre ranch model.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    Mini 14 scope mount. The button half way between the two bolt holes (elevation screws) is the giveaway as to what it fits. That button is the bolt release.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,962 Senior Member
    Sun Optics makes a similar mount for the mini 14.

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

edited February 19 #10
    Well I’ll be damned!  You guys are brilliant!!!  Actually it belongs with a Mini-30 I haven’t had a chance to play with!

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,024 Senior Member
    edited February 19 #11
    I can tell you exactly what it is, having inherited several from several deceased male relatives over the years, usually pressed upon me by their survivors as something "you can probably use".

It's a "thing".....Simple as that.  Possibly a router bit extension that hasn't been for sale online since 1927 or possibly a razor blade sharpener. It's hard to tell by the pics.

I have a "thing" that my FIL (currently above ground) gave me a few years ago, saying, "You can probably use this". I had no idea what it was, but his confidence that I knew what it was precluded me from asking what it was. To me, it looks like something a female duck would use during a difficult pregnancy. OTOH, it could be a router bit.

I have a garage full of "things". If you're interested, come on over. Maybe, with luck, we can figure out what one of them is.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    Regardless.  I think you still need to buy another gun.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

I can tell you exactly what it is, having inherited several from several deceased male relatives over the years, usually pressed upon me by their survivors as something "you can probably use".

It's a "thing".....Simple as that.  Possibly a router bit extension that hasn't been for sale online since 1927 or possibly a razor blade sharpener. It's hard to tell by the pics.

I have a "thing" that my FIL (currently above ground) gave me a few years ago, saying, "You can probably use this". I had no idea what it was, but his confidence that I knew what it was precluded me from asking what it was. To me, it looks like something a female duck would use during a difficult pregnancy. OTOH, it could be a router bit.

I have a garage full of "things". If you're interested, come on over. Maybe, with luck, we can figure out what one of them is.

Mike
    Accipiter said:
    The guys above have it right.  It’s a scope base for a Mini 14 or Mini 30.  I just found it as I’m digging though a mix of “things” as Mike called it.  It turns out that it goes with a gun I have that I’m trying out for size to see if it stays or goes.  So I don’t have to buy any new gun.  Just decide if I want to keep the one that’s here 😁

• Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,450 Senior Member
    GunNut said:

Mike
    Accipiter said:
    The guys above have it right.  It’s a scope base for a Mini 14 or Mini 30.  I just found it as I’m digging though a mix of “things” as Mike called it.  It turns out that it goes with a gun I have that I’m trying out for size to see if it stays or goes.  So I don’t have to buy any new gun.  Just decide if I want to keep the one that’s here 😁
    Looks like a fun fact finding mission. The mini 30 wasn’t/isn’t known for great accuracy, but you never know. 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,724 Senior Member
    I've heard Minis weren't all that accurate.  Got a Mini 14 which is "accurate enough."  Not a varmint gun but fine for a patrol rifle.  Don't know about the .30s.  If you accept the 14 for what it is, it's fine.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    edited February 19 #16
    I had one years ago and never got much better than 3” 100 yard groups. It was a fun toy but not a tack driver by any stretch.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,139 Senior Member
    IIRC, one of the reasons the Mini-30 was considered less accurate than the Mini-14 was that Ruger used a .308 bore when the com-block surplus 7.62x39 is made for a .311 bore.

Supposedly, they can get better accuracy with hand loaded .308 slugs.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    IIRC, one of the reasons the Mini-30 was considered less accurate than the Mini-14 was that Ruger used a .308 bore when the com-block surplus 7.62x39 is made for a .311 bore.

Supposedly, they can get better accuracy with hand loaded .308 slugs.
    That’s probably not happening unless I decide to get back to reloading.  I’ve had an intermittent  interest in the Mini platform over the years but this one will likely get played with one or twice and passed on.  I really have ZERO use for it and have enough stuff that makes me smile.

edited February 19 #19
    sakodude said:
    I had one years ago and never got much better than 3” 100 yard groups. It was a fun toy but not a tack driver by any stretch.
    That's what I hear as well.  As I said earlier, mine was a patrol rifle and 3 MOA is enough for this application.  I also assume this is with a scope...ours were iron sights and no one had problems hitting a silhouette target at 75 yards.  I don't think the rifles were capable of mounting a scope.  We (my SO) bought them a long time ago for $300 ~ in 2000, which was all we could afford, and was one of the first agencies in GA to equip patrol officers with rifles.  We first trained/qualified with them on 9/11, was there when I heard the first plane hit the tower.
    Gene L said:
    sakodude said:
    That's what I hear as well.  As I said earlier, mine was a patrol rifle and 3 MOA is enough for this application.  I also assume this is with a scope...ours were iron sights and no one had problems hitting a silhouette target at 75 yards.  I don't think the rifles were capable of mounting a scope.  We (my SO) bought them a long time ago for $300 ~ in 2000, which was all we could afford, and was one of the first agencies in GA to equip patrol officers with rifles.  We first trained/qualified with them on 9/11, was there when I heard the first plane hit the tower.
    I agree with you that for what they are they are fine.  This is not a precision gun by any length of the imagination.  It's a lights out at reasonable open sights or red dot range gun.  AND they are cool little carbines.  My issue is that I have no use for ANYTHING chambered in 7.62x39 and no real desire to keep this as just a toy.  If it had any significance to me like your does since it belonged to your department, that would be one good reason.  But this rifle means nothing to me so I REALLY doubt if I'll keep it in the long run.

Nor would I, if I had a commie round Mini.  Especially now that the surplus 7.62 x 39 supply and price ain't what it used to be. Which, being FNJ was not suitable for hunting, not that I hunt, but have no use for that caliber. I don't shoot my 5.56 very much, but when my SO switched to ARs last year, the sheriff offered the Mini 14s to current and retired deputies at what we paid for them.  That was a deal I couldn't refuse.
    edited February 19 #22
    An interesting aside with regard to Rugers bore size. When I owned my mini 30 I also owned and still have a Ruger 77 MarkII with the Zytel "skeleton" stock also in 7.62x39. The only bullets I ever used in handloads were Hornady 123gr .311 dia. and they shot very near MOA out of the bolt action, 3 MOA out of the mini. 
    sakodude said:
    An interesting aside with regard to Rugers bore size. When I owned my mini 30 I also owned and still have a Ruger 77 MarkII with the Zytel "skeleton" stock also in 7.62x39. The only bullets I ever used in handloads were Hornady 123gr .311 dia. and they shot very near MOA out of the bolt action, 3 MOA out of the mini. 
    The worst issue with the Minis is the stock/action/barrel mechanical interaction, and looking at this thing I now understand. It’s subject to all sorts of shifting and heat issues.  There have been some gunsmiths that specialized in accurizing these but it was a beast of a process and expensive IIRC.

Anyway this was part of a set of firearms that I need to evaluate and sort out, make decisions on...

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,620 Senior Member
    Keep it, truck gun, never leave home with out it.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Keep it, truck gun, never leave home with out it.
    Meh.  I also ended up with a Rossi ‘92 in .357/.38.  That might be my “Truck gun” but again I have some time to make decisions.

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,620 Senior Member
    I would rather have magazines for a truck gun. Nothing wrong with the Rossi though.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11