Home Main Category Clubhouse

Southwest Research Institute

2»

Replies

• sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,092 Senior Member
    BamaakII said:
    Arrived in SA yesterday and so far i gate it.  Way to many people and cars.  Its like putting the entire state of Alabama in a few square miles.  I feel wussy saying it but I just want to go home.
    Pretty sure I warned you about that :# It gets easier, I've been back in the Denver area since the beginning of Jan, another scary place to drive when you used to more rural environments. I'm starting to get used to the craziness. Don't like it but getting used to it!! 
  • BamaakIIBamaakII Posts: 322 Member
    edited March 2020 #33
    Well, I went out and got an apartment.  In the hills on the outskirts of town.  Sort of rural, very nice place with a beautiful view.  Lots of big expensive homes in the area so I feel somewhat safe there.
    Started working Thursday.  Place is very impressive and huge.  But in a gov't makes you scratch you head kind of way.  I'm working in the Defense Intelligence Solutions department.  Current project is redesigning the A-10 fire control avionics.  Pretty cool stuff.  Many parts are no longer made so it needs redone with modern tech.  But they don't want to change the software cause of expense and time.  But the hardware is gonna be millions I bet.  More making it fit the software IMO.  
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,828 Senior Member
    BamaakII said:
    Started working Thursday.  Place is very impressive and huge.  But in a gov't makes you scratch you head kind of way.  I'm working in the Defense Intelligence Solutions department.  Current project is redesigning the A-10 fire control avionics.  Pretty cool stuff.  Many parts are no longer made so it needs redone with modern tech.  But they don't want to change the software cause of expense and time.  But the hardware is gonna be millions I bet.  More making it fit the software IMO.  
    That's backwards...
    No good deed goes unpunished...
    That's the government.  Its not 70s software, plane has had many upgrades.  It already has two multifunction LCD displays which this box outputs to.  Funny thing is one of the video outputs goes to a recording device labeled VCR.  Not sure if it really is tape but that's the output name.  Bunch of other video for maverick missle and probably uplink.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,114 Senior Member
    Good software is expensive, which is why we don't have much good software anymore. Hardware is relatively cheap.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,162 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    Good software is expensive, which is why we don't have much good software anymore. Hardware is relatively cheap.
    Agreed.  I work for a company that builds an operating system and associated layered products, such as compilers, utilities, etc.  We have some of the best software engineers in the business working for us.  Still, there are a lot of obstacles to overcome.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    I think this place thinks so much of itself that they thought the project goals would be met by themselves.  Then when they didn't, they brought in a bunch of hired guns to help them get it done.  The are supposed to have working circuit cards by the beginning of phase two which is funded for fifty million over. Two years.  No of these boards even have a completed schematic or parts list or even the symbology to even make a schematic.  They spent all their time working on temperature issues for this box, designing a fancy new box with exotic materials that transfer heat better and ignoring what goes inside the box.  Now it's rush to get it done.  Meaning mistakes will be made.  Oh well it all pays the same.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,114 Senior Member
    Ok, clarity ensues. Getting things done in academia can be a challenge. I suggest a skunkworks approach. Get the people needed to get it done, tell management and everybody else to MYOB, do minimal design reviews, and crank it out.
    I had a very similar situation, we needed a new data logger NOW, and the one the org had been working on for years was nowhere near ready. I called a meeting, asked for one hardware guy and one software guy, and a clear runway.
    "How long?" I was asked. When I replied "90 days", they looked at me like I had two heads, but we got the go-ahead when I explained that in industry it would probably be 60. It ended up being closer to 120 days, but there was xmas in the middle of it, and I was in Greece for a month during this time too.
    It was supposed to be a stopgap to be used for a year or two. This was in 2002 - its still being deployed because it works. And yea, we needed a new enclosure too.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."