Home Main Category General Firearms

Which one stays?!?!?!?

GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,795 Senior Member
I'm only keeping ONE of these, I need input...
Colt New Frontier Buntline
Ruger Single-Six (PRE-convertible, a true .22lr 3 screw, unmolested) Real Stag

I'm kind'a leaning Ruger...  But the darn Colt is pretty.

As an aside the previous owner of the Colt was an older gentleman and decided that he needed to "enhance" the sights so he painted the front ramp with red nail polish, Ok so far no issues, and THEN he had a major brain FART and painted the rear blade with WHITE nail polish!!!  Real sloppy job and the stuff got deep into the works.  I just spent about 5 minutes cleaning the front and then 2 HOURS getting the gunk out of the rear sight :angry:  

Anyway it's back to factory specs now.
Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

Replies

• JunkCollectorJunkCollector Posts: 566 Senior Member
    edited February 20 #2
    If the stag will fit a vacquero keep the grips and get rid of the ruger.
    I may be a bit biased on this one though.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,039 Senior Member
    I'm leaning toward keeping the Ruger, but it's a really tough call.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,795 Senior Member
    If the stag will fit a vacquero keep the grips and get rid of the ruger.
    They don't.  It's the original grip XR-3 frame.  I should also add that at some point I'm thinking I'll probably be getting a Uberti Stallion .22 because I've never really liked the adjustable rear sight of the Ruger.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

I'm leaning toward keeping the Ruger, but it's a really tough call.

Mike
    Yeah right?  They are sitting on my desk in front of me and I'm breaking into a sweat...

I don't have to make an immediate decision...

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,094 Senior Member
    The color case hardening on the Colt's frame "sings" to me. So it staying get my vote.

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• AccipiterAccipiter New Member Posts: 885 Senior Member
    edited February 20 #8
    Meh.  Sell them both and get a Heritage.  That way you get a safety.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/heritage-rough-rider-22-caliber-revolver-200023427

said with as straight a face as possible.
    Apparently free thought is punished, and conformity is required, while peckerless cowards run the show.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

Ah......One savors the hypocrisy!

Karma.........It’s a bitch.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,916 Senior Member
    Uhm. Your not the Highlander. There can be more than one.
    Why not keep them both, you know you want to
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,859 Senior Member

I get that the original post says that only one is staying. I'm not sure why, but that's apparently the decision that's been made.  And we know how guns come and go for you.

To me, they are different enough to keep both.  One longer barrel, adjustable sights, capable of some small game pistol hunting and target shooting.  The other more of a cowboy gun, older, a little more rare and with much more personality than a regular Single Six.  But then, I'm far past the stage of trying to justify why I keep something and why I don't.  I've long since transitioned into a collector and not an enthusiast.  I therefore don't necessarily have to justify wanting or keeping anything..   B)

• sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,891 Senior Member
    Make me an offer I can’t refuse on the colt and keep the ruger :p
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,741 Senior Member
    Keep the Ruger.  Don't know, but think the color case is just a surface finish.  And I don't like the oversized rear sight on the Colt.  For me, it ruins the lines of a SA.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,859 Senior Member
    To go along with the original question, I can only answer based on what I would do.  I'd sell the Ruger and keep the Colt.  I prefer adjustable sights on my revolvers and, although it's a nice 3 screw Single Six with nice grips, it's still a Single Six.
    All valid perspectives.  Thanks you are all making me think.

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    Let a collector have the Colt and shoot the Ruger.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,262 Senior Member
    Diver43 said:
    THIS!

But keep the Ruger if you need to pare the collection.  The whole adjustable match sight thing on a .22LR baby Peacemaker just ain't clickin' with me.

Then again, you could ask yourself this simple question:  How do they shoot?
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,628 Senior Member
    Bigslug said:
    Diver43 said:
    THIS!

But keep the Ruger if you need to pare the collection.  The whole adjustable match sight thing on a .22LR baby Peacemaker just ain't clickin' with me.

Then again, you could ask yourself this simple question:  How do they shoot?
    This, I need more info 
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member
    Very nice pair, which makes it awfully hard.  The Colt has collector value in the name, but the Ruger has a better feature set.  I vote for keeping the Ruger.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,450 Senior Member
    Ruger. Those grips ❤️❤️❤️
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,000 Senior Member
    Ruger
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • RaftermanRafterman New Member Posts: 232 Member
    I couldn't part with either one. Wouldn't want to be in your shoes.
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,693 Senior Member
    I find the Colt better suited for assorted shooting ranges & ammo types/brands and also hunting due to its longer barrel and adjustable sights.

That said and presuming potential use in plinking and target shooting, I'd keep the Ruger.
    Either one (or both, that's not COMPLETELY out of the equation... maybe...) I pick will most probably be just a cute safe queen and a fun range toy, nothing more.  There is no real reason for me to carry either and if I want to actually hunt with a rimfire I have a buttload of rifles I'd rather take out.  If I REALLY felt that a .22 would be of any value while I take a walk outdoors or as a camp toy I probably be carrying my S&W Pre-Model 18 or my Ruger Mark I on my belt anyway.  I have a few nice holsters for the Ruger and for the life of me I don't even know why I bought them.

• MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,731 Senior Member
    Keep the Ruger.
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,391 Senior Member
    edited February 22 #25
    whats your end game?

resale value, goes to the Colt.   Only will go up in value the longer you keep.  If you had the box and other things more so.

I sold off most of my Colt SAA 22s and i could have sold alot more too.

The ruger flat top/3 screws are nice, but so far, they havent gone up in price like the colts.

Stag grips?  like the dress on woman or trans or wheels/rims on a car. They can be changed for whatever you desire.

If you want accuracy, then i would to a side-by-side test drive of each with different ammo.

you dont say if your NF has the 22Mag cylinder?  The NF/PMs had barrels that would handle both.  

The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
    ilove22s said:
    whats your end game?

resale value, goes to the Colt.   Only will go up in value the longer you keep.  If you had the box and other things more so.

The ruger flat top/3 screws are nice, but so far, they havent gone up in price like the colts.

Stag grips?  like the dress on woman or trans or wheels/rims on a car. They can be changed for whatever you desire.

If you want accuracy, then i would to a side-by-side test drive of each with different ammo.

you dont say if your NF has the 22Mag cylinder?  The NF/PMs had barrels that would handle both.  

No end game.  Fun toys, that’s all.  I believe this NF Buntlines was only done in .22 LR and only has one cylinder.  The bore is tighy on n a standard .22 and too tight for a Mag.  I’m going to try to get out and shoot on Sunday if it’s not too cold. I have a bunch of guns to try and decide what I’m keeping.

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,664 Senior Member
    Ship them both to me, I'll choose one and ship the other one back. Maybe... ;)
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    zorba said:
    Ship them both to me, I'll choose one and ship the other one back. Maybe... ;)
    Well finally a workable solution 😁

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,664 Senior Member
    And your emoticons are now working for me. *shrug*
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 1,092 Senior Member
    Exactly, I've no idea why it took so long for some one to suggest it.Great solution Zorba .
    I'll be guessing once they arrive it could take quite sometime for a decision to be made.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,391 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    ilove22s said:
    whats your end game?

No end game.  Fun toys, that’s all.  I believe this NF Buntlines was only done in .22 LR and only has one cylinder.  The bore is tighy on n a standard .22 and too tight for a Mag.  I’m going to try to get out and shoot on Sunday if it’s not too cold. I have a bunch of guns to try and decide what I’m keeping.
    unless the NF is a "GS" series with the cross hammer safety, the later Colt SAA 22s were fitted with 22Mag barrels.  They supposedly did some testing using the 22Mag barrels and shot both Mags and LR and not much difference.  

The ears never lie.

- Don Burt