Home Main Category General Firearms

Found Money

BamaakIIBamaakII Posts: 274 Member
When I was planning on collecting on my deceased wife's SS which is a widows benefit starting at 60, I registered and all with them and they apparently go back to your previous employers to see if they owe you any money.  Well I have only ever worked for 3 companies but I get 4 letters in the mail from SS saying I have 401k money left from two companies.  Another is from a buyout and the 4th is from when they switched to a different plan.  So they give you instructions on how to collect it if you want.  The 4 totaled almost 10k, heck yea I want it.  Sent the letters out and been like two weeks now and haven't head a thing.  But they reported it to SS so it must be valid right?  Not counting on it but it would sure be nice.

Replies

  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    If you get it. Does that mean a really expensive gun symbolic of opulence beyond all generally accepted norms could be looming in your future like the bright light of a high noon sun on a hot July day???
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,635 Senior Member
    I would be fishing on a certain Kiwi Fishing Charter , hunting red stag and fallow deer, and shooting waterfowl until my trigger finger swelled if that money was not earmarked for anything.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • BamaakIIBamaakII Posts: 274 Member
    edited February 23 #4
    I'll probably pay off some bills and use that big paycheck I'm about to start getting to buy things I don't need.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,667 Senior Member
    That's what I'd do. Besides, $10K wouldn't make 1/2 of the gun I'd really like to own (Borchardt pistol).
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

    "If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,635 Senior Member
    BamaakII said:
    I'll probably pay off some bills and use that big paycheck I'm about to start getting to buy things I don't need.
    Fine, fine, lets us know when to start enabling.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,111 Senior Member
    Have I got a deal for you!!!!
    B)
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • AccipiterAccipiter New Member Posts: 885 Senior Member
    I would move $10,000 further away from civilization.
    Apparently free thought is punished, and conformity is required, while peckerless cowards run the show.

    ECHO...ECHO....echo...

    Ah......One savors the hypocrisy!

    Karma.........It’s a bitch.
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,373 Senior Member
    I thought I owed the IRS 7k.  Today, I switched to a better tax software and found out I only owe 3.

    Result:  
    1). 300 BO Upper on the way sometime next week.
    2). Get my wife’s employer to take the right amount of her paycheck.
    3) Fake kid for tax write off,  🙀🙀🙀
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,165 Senior Member
    My wife used TurboTax and it said we owed $5K+...... Went to a tax place and we owe $1300 to Federal and get back $1000 from State......

    Turbo didn't allow for any write offs on our rental house in Florida.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,667 Senior Member
    I "hire it done" - I don't know enough about it, I don't want to mess with it, and I'm afraid I'd screw it up royally. Still using the CPA firm in California that we've been with for over 35 years. They ain't cheap, but they're good. My "stuff" is going out on Friday UPS Red Envelope.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

    "If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,393 Senior Member
    BamaakII said:
    When I was planning on collecting on my deceased wife's SS which is a widows benefit starting at 60, I registered and all with them and they apparently go back to your previous employers to see if they owe you any money.  Well I have only ever worked for 3 companies but I get 4 letters in the mail from SS saying I have 401k money left from two companies.  Another is from a buyout and the 4th is from when they switched to a different plan.  So they give you instructions on how to collect it if you want.  The 4 totaled almost 10k, heck yea I want it.  Sent the letters out and been like two weeks now and haven't head a thing.  But they reported it to SS so it must be valid right?  Not counting on it but it would sure be nice.

    Just a fyi,

    You may want to check with your local government about any "unclaimed" moneys owed to you or your relatives.

    where i live its under the State lands office, but you can google for it.

    You maybe surprised on whats out there.  
    The ears never lie.

    - Don Burt
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,667 Senior Member
    ilove22s said:

    Just a fyi,

    You may want to check with your local government about any "unclaimed" moneys owed to you or your relatives.

    where i live its under the State lands office, but you can google for it.

    You maybe surprised on whats out there.  
    Very true. I found a couple of hundred bucks for my wife - TWICE - as well as I think it was about $5k for my employer. I haven't check in awhile, I think I'll go off and do it now...

    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

    "If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,667 Senior Member
    Glad I did! My late father is owed almost $300! Claiming it at this late date might be a challenge though. Wife is owed $6.52.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

    "If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement