Home Main Category General Firearms

Pricing help... Carl Gustafs Mauser

GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,838 Senior Member
Carl Gustafs 6.5 Made in 1907.  I’m not keeping this one because ultimately I have zero interest in another “project” but have zero idea how to price it and no time to research.  I need opinions/help.

it is in pristine condition and the bore is sharp and clean.  It might have been reblued but it could be just a pristine 1907 example.  All the markings are sharp, like they were done yesterday.  The stock is beautiful and does not look refinished at all.  NICE subtle figure to the walnut and all hardware is in perfect shape.  All numbers match BUT (I HATE that someone did this) the bolt was bent and the receiver drilled for a side mount.  Because of this the upper hand guard has some damage on it.

If I had the time and inclination I’d have a good gunsmith restore it to original (weld the holes, reblue and straighten the bolt) or just cut the barrel back, reposition the front sight and make a really pretty Mannlicher out of it.  But I already have 2 other Mauser projects that I can’t even get to. 

What should I ask for the gun?

Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

Replies

• sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,902 Senior Member
    Just a quick look on GB and folks are “asking” 500 ish in similar condition but un molested. I suspect yours only has value as a donor action unfortunately. 
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,838 Senior Member
    Hummm, maybe I should sell one of the other "projects and keep this one...  This is REALLY a nice rifle.  I'm pissed that someone would put holes in one this nice when there are so many crappy ones out there...

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

No other opinions on the subject?

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,683 Senior Member
    Its a beaut, for sure! My opinion is that you should ship it to me immediately!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    edited February 25 #6
    Im terrible at gun prices and know nothing about Mausers. I wish it could tell us about the blunt force trauma in the first pic.

You seem perpetually caught between the call of caretaker and the reality of time and space. Just be thankful its guns and not cars or boats or something even bigger.
    zorba said:
    Its a beaut, for sure! My opinion is that you should ship it to me immediately!
    It is a beauty.  But it needs to fund other toys I want to keep more.

Im terrible at gun prices and know nothing about Mausers. I wish it could tell us about the blunt force trauma in the first pic.

You seem perpetually caught between the call of caretaker and the reality of time and space. Just be thankful its guns and not cars or boats or something even bigger.
    I’m like an adoption agency 😁  I can’t let these children suffer and I can only collect so many at any given point.

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,101 Senior Member
    Afraid I'm no help. Not my area of expertise, and not enough interest in the old mausers for me to have studied them
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,112 Senior Member
    GunNut said:

I’m like an adoption agency 😁  I can’t let these children suffer and I can only collect so many at any given point.

Look, We are all family here, family helps family out when they need help.
    So you adopted more children than you can deal with because you are a compassionate person......Right?

The solution is simple. We, your family will take some of the kids off your hands at no charge, we will feed them, clothe them if they need it, teach them to shoot, hunt, and defend themselves ( and us at the same time), raise them to be polite and respectful, look after them when they are ailing, encourage and reward their successes as they learn about life.......

Heck, we will even organize family get togethers where we can all gather  and reaffirm our family ties.

Thats what family do for each other.

You are welcome...

Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    orchidman said:
    GunNut said:

So you adopted more children than you can deal with because you are a compassionate person......Right?

The solution is simple. We, your family will take some of the kids off your hands at no charge, we will feed them, clothe them if they need it, teach them to shoot, hunt, and defend themselves ( and us at the same time), raise them to be polite and respectful, look after them when they are ailing, encourage and reward their successes as they learn about life.......

Heck, we will even organize family get togethers where we can all gather  and reaffirm our family ties.

You are welcome...

I am in awe of your generous offer.  This selfless act is so far beyond my spectrum of expectations that it moves me to soing something for you. 

I will contact the leader of your religion and try to have you canonized into Sainthood!!!

Now who’s the current leader of the Druids?   Hummm we're going to need a buttload of virgins for the ceremony....  

knitepoet said:
    Afraid I'm no help. Not my area of expertise, and not enough interest in the old mausers for me to have studied them
    Same problem here!

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,683 Senior Member
    orchidman said:
    GunNut said:

You are welcome...

Hey Pal, the line forms to the rear! :D
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,697 Senior Member
    I'm a surplus rifle buff and from what I've read online, average price for a Mauser that has been altered in such fashion is usually around 300 bucks.

Bent bolt can be solved relatively easy. Drilled receiver is a killer for collectors. If mine I'd repair the bolt or buy a correct replacement one, fill the holes with cut screws and shoot the bejesus out of it.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,112 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    I am in awe of your generous offer.  This selfless act is so far beyond my spectrum of expectations that it moves me to soing something for you. 

I will contact the leader of your religion and try to have you canonized into Sainthood!!!

Now who’s the current leader of the Druids?   Hummm we're going to need a buttload of virgins for the ceremony....  
    Forget the canon thing, but a couple of virgins wouldnt go amiss. Dont know where you would find them though, they seem to be in short supply.

Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    orchidman said:
    GunNut said:

Forget the canon thing, but a couple of virgins wouldnt go amiss. Dont know where you would find them though, they seem to be in short supply.

Found one!  She says she's got a sister!

Antonio said:
    I'm a surplus rifle buff and from what I've read online, average price for a Mauser that has been altered in such fashion is usually around 300 bucks.

Bent bolt can be solved relatively easy. Drilled receiver is a killer for collectors. If mine I'd repair the bolt or buy a correct replacement one, fill the holes with cut screws and shoot the bejesus out of it.
    That's my usual first inclination but I REALLY have no interest in another project right now. I might list just it on GB for $350 and see what happens...

• JunkCollectorJunkCollector Posts: 567 Senior Member
    Sorry I couldn't help....no knowledge but the 610 well.....
    Sorry I couldn't help....no knowledge but the 610 well.....
    Don’t worry.  If I ever lose my mind it’s got your name on it. 🤣

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,101 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    Don’t worry.  If I ever lose my mind it’s got knitepoet's name on it. 🤣
    FIFY :D:D:D 
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,697 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    Antonio said:

That's my usual first inclination but I REALLY have no interest in another project right now. I might list just it on GB for $350 and see what happens...

Seems reasonable. Those rifles are fine shooters and maybe someone looking for a cool "range toy" rather than a show piece will pull it out of your hands.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    orchidman said:
    GunNut said:

Ah Virgins, I thought they were extinct!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,267 Senior Member
    edited February 27 #23
    Ummm. . .Spider Sense is tingling. . .

Tapped for primitive optics that probably clear the clip slot and bolt bent, but no other "sporty" alteration to the rifle.

Do a web search for "Swedish 96 sniper rifle" and start comparing to the pics you see.  Could it be that's what you have?  Looks pretty similar to me.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,744 Senior Member
    Thought the same thing, Big.  Looked up Swedish Sniper rifles.  I think they started building them in the 1940s.  They had three holes om the side for scope base screws, and so does his. Looking good so far.  They rebuilt the rifles in the 50s and put different rear sights on them, which the OPs doesn't have.  Different, too (or I couldn't see it) is in addition to the screws holding on the mounts, two pins also seem to have been drilled into the action to further stabilize the mount...one on each end of the screws.  here's what forgotten weapons says about it, so judge for yourself.

Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    Interesting.....  more research before doing anything hasty... thanks!

edited February 27 #26
    Another link showing base and rear sight in more detail.  You can see the pins on each side of the screws.  On yours, I don't see room on the receiver for these pins.

https://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?1047185-Swedish-M41B-Update!-It-arrived&highlight=swedish+mauser+41b+sniper+rifle
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,902 Senior Member
    Lack of pin holes and it seems in both links the 3 screws are not lined up horizontally, center screen being higher where all 3 on Gunnuts example look even. Just an observation. It would be very cool if it were a sniper model though.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,661 Senior Member
    Would a sniper variation garner a higher price?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Oh, yeah!  Much higher.  Not that many made and they have a rep for accuracy.  I don't know how much more because I've never seen one for sale. It's somewhat possible someone tried to make the OP rifle look like a M41b for whatever reason.
    Gene L said:
    Oh, yeah!  Much higher.  Not that many made and they have a rep for accuracy.  I don't know how much more because I've never seen one for sale. It's somewhat possible someone tried to make the OP rifle look like a M41b for whatever reason.
    That's probably the most likely explanation.  I have seen repro mounts and scopes online in the small time I have spent researching.  I MIGHT keep this and modify it to a faux-sniper configuration just for fun since the rifle is so beautiful and the bore is PRISTINE!  Now I need to get some ammo and see how it shoots.  Crap MORE ammo!?!?!   My wife is definitely going to kill me...

Late to the party, was going to say you could probably get $300-400 out of it. Probably not a lot more. Could be a great project build or just stick a scope on it and make it a faux sniper. I have one of very similar vintage in original condition that I like a lot, but sadly rarely get a chance to shoot. Need to get my old warhorses to the range more often!
    Yeah me too.  Not a lot of old warhorses left but long guns in general.  I'm at the range pretty frequently but it's usually sessions with my CC guns.  Quick in, shoot a bunch, out.  Shooting the long guns requires logistics like targets, rests, ammo, spotting scope...  I start thinking about it, then I go over to the pile of 1911s, pick one and go...