Home Main Category Hunting

Suggestions for stopping raccoons...

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 21,391 Senior Member
...from climbing up my feeder's legs.

I've "convinced" 4 or 5 to stay away, but the rest are still climbing up and breaking things, such as my solar battery charger, unplugging the charger, and today, breaking the cord from it to the battery, 

As soon as the new charger arrives, I'm going to go put it on, and wire a LARGE treble hook on each leg of the feeder, and, while shopping for the new charger on Amazon, I found these plastic "spike strips"
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078Y9N7WJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
 I ordered them and some super strong 2 sided tape.

Don't know how well they're going to work, but they're cheaper, and easier to work with, than razor wire, which is what I was looking for when I found these.

Suggestions?

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,086 Senior Member
    Yep...attach a Slinky around the legs of your feeder...attach at the top of the leg (obviously}
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,391 Senior Member
    Neat idea,
    Hadn't thought of that one.

THANKS!!!!
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,810 Senior Member
    electric fence part way up it ?
    edited February 2020 #5
    Of course you could put a light on it so the coons could see better what  they're doing.
    considering how far they are from a 110v power source, that would be difficult to pull off 

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,297 Senior Member
    My brother found some metal spike strips like what you posted that were attached to the feeder legs by zip ties.  They worked great.

To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Thanks Bullsi

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,310 Senior Member
    Linefinder is an expert on trip flares!   :D
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

GunNut said:
    LOL :D:D:D 

• GilaGila Posts: 1,828 Senior Member
    You might try putting out snail pellets.  Most animals, including pets (so be careful), like to eat the stuff and it is a deadly poison.  I've always used it to get rid of moles.
    No good deed goes unpunished...
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,086 Senior Member
    Gila said:
    You might try putting out snail pellets.  Most animals, including pets (so be careful), like to eat the stuff and it is a deadly poison.  I've always used it to get rid of moles.
    There's a problem with poisoning pests to keep in mind...it keeps poisoning the food chain...anything that eats the poisoned critter, gets the same treatment....unless it's in a tightly controlled environment where you can dispose of the carcasses
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    edited February 2020 #13
    Yep, that's a problem. Would probably poison the deer too

edited February 2020 #14
    Humane traps followed by a .22 short to free their spirit.  The problem is now a cool hat!

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,250 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    It's true. I can set them with the best of 'em, but my real forte' is finding them.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    GunNut said:
    Humane traps followed by a .22 short to free their spirit.  The problem is now a cool hat!
    The problem with that is the fact it's a 30 mile drive from here

GunNut said:
    It's true. I can set them with the best of 'em, but my real forte' is finding them.

Mike
    Well we all have our talents  :D

Considering I wear a size 7 1/2 boot, I'm amazed I'm as good at it as I am.

Mike
    N454casull
    Considering I wear a size 7 1/2 boot, I'm amazed I'm as good at it as I am.

Mike
    Wait...  How tall are you?

5'7"....or 8" taller than my mother. So I beat her in both height and looks.

Mike

N454casull
    Funny thing is, I've always thought I was 5'9". When I went into the hospital with CA, the ER doc listed my height as 6"2". When my wife saw the admittance papers she asked, "What idiot wrote this up? 6'2"? Are you kidding? He's hardly taller than a loaf of bread. Keep that doctor away from my husband".

Real measurements took place in earnest after that, and I lost several inches in height, but thankfully not length. That happened only after I met my urologist.

Mike
    N454casull
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,955 Senior Member
    I'm 5 foot 12 myself. Once had a dance teacher who was 5 foot 13 or so!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    zorba said:
    I'm 5 foot 12 myself. Once had a dance teacher who was 5 foot 13 or so!
    Thanks. That makes me feel a lot better!

I can't stand people that hit 6 feet.

Mike
    N454casull
    This height thing can be funny.
    I was 6'2" since forever, then as I aged it went to 6'1&1/2".
    Then I got a new ID and found out I am 5'8"
    ??????
    5'7"....or 8" taller than my mother. So I beat her in both height and looks.

Mike

That’s cool!  You’re basically the same height as my dad, even to the shoe size!  Funny I turned out 5’11.5” every doctor rounds it out to 6’, genetics on my uncles on my mothers side. 

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,955 Senior Member
    My dad was (supposedly) originally 6-3, and had bigger hands than I do and mine aren't small. But he was significantly shorter than I am when he was old.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    I think on my last visit my doctor said I lost about 1/4”.  It has begun...  :s

GunNut said:
    Ohhh....quit your whining .It could be worse. I went into the ER at 6'-2" and left seven days later 7" shorter. 

If I live through another hospital stay, I'm gonna need a high-chair to reach my applesauce.

Mike
    N454casull
    GunNut said:
    Ohhh....quit your whining .It could be worse. I went into the ER at 6'-2" and left seven days later 7" shorter. 

If I live through another hospital stay, I'm gonna need a high-chair to reach my applesauce.

Mike
    I think I just peed my Depends... 🤣🤣

• jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,224 Senior Member
    I always had 6' on my ID's but never could crack 5' 11 3/4''..... After 30+++ years of working on my feet in factories, I can barely break 5' 10''........
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,452 Senior Member
    I've had a lot of luck with Duke body grip traps. They're square in shape and the raccoon sized trap will break your wrist if you get careless with them. You need to set them so the trap is in a box or some kind of enclosure in front of the bait. Raccoon hits the trip mechanism and get their neck broken. Also works on possums and other critters.
    Bait with el cheapo cat food or dog food. A hunk of corn on the cob on the trigger is a good bait, too.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams