Home Main Category Clubhouse

The new .22lr

AccipiterAccipiter New MemberPosts: 887 Senior Member
I swung through the Home Depot today to get some new cartridges for the organic vapor respirator.  Empty shelves is all I find.  Not a refil, not a new mask, not an N95 respirator, not a dust mask, not even a bandana to cover the face.  Looks like face masks are going to go the way of the .22 during the dark years.  Back alley deals, and overpriced merchandise will become the norm, as Corona Virus mania sweeps the nation.  They will start putting the boxes behind the counter and limit purchases to 1 box per customer.  

Meanwhile I will have to find a, reasonably priced, source online to get some refills.  I got some cabinets to finish.

I wonder what the next shortage will be as the hysteria ramps up.  Food, bottled water, medicine, who knows?

I said to my wife this morning.  It is not the virus that worries me right now.  It will be how people respond that is of concern.

The virus has a 2.5% mortality rate in the third world, I am waiting to see how it does in a first world medical system before I get too concerned.
Apparently free thought is punished, and conformity is required, while peckerless cowards run the show.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

Ah......One savors the hypocrisy!

Karma.........It’s a bitch.

Replies

• sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,091 Senior Member
    I work in a hospital and we are in short supply as well. And of course most of those masks are manufactured in China.  Go figure :s
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,157 Senior Member
    They won't work as a preventative for contraction. Only as a preventative for spread from those already infected.

Efforts at containment are being reported as ineffectual.

Any location found to be contaminated will surely be subjected to closure. The purpose of that location and the resulting inconvenience it causes will determine the direction and intensity of the ensuing panic.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    edited February 2020 #4
    CDC estimates that influenza has resulted in between 9 million – 45 million illnesses, between 140,000 – 810,000 hospitalizations and between 12,000 – 61,000 deaths annually since 2010.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/index.html

Yeah, the over-hyped plague of 2020 is nothing more than hype. Not concerned one bit.  
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• AccipiterAccipiter New Member Posts: 887 Senior Member
    Right now I am a wait and see on the virus itself.  If it comes to the US in force and has a legit 1%+ mortality rate, and a legit high transfer rate, I will then start to escalate my precautions.  Until then, I will watch the hysterical mob with more concern.
    Apparently free thought is punished, and conformity is required, while peckerless cowards run the show.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,132 Senior Member
    I don't think people understand exactly how small viruses are. 120 nanometers (.12 microns) is pretty damn small! Most HEPA grade masks only go down to .3 microns.

Regardless, this gets a big fat meh from me. I guess it gives me an even better excuse to avoid people than normal.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    I don't think people understand exactly how small viruses are. 120 nanometers (.12 microns) is pretty damn small! Most HEPA grade masks only go down to .3 microns.

Regardless, this gets a big fat meh from me. I guess it gives me an even better excuse to avoid people than normal.

I've had to breathe through a supplied air HEPA .1 micron full face mask that had the filter and power supply/air pump on a belt. Talk about claustrophobic! That air pump needed twin turbos; you had to work slow or you couldn't get enough air, no way, no how. People panic, and don't really know that what they're doing is pretty much not going to work. Washing hands often and not touching nose, lips, or around eyes is the best bet to avoid it, just like the flu. And avoiding people contact is always a good idea; people are creepy under normal circumstances.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,213 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    And avoiding people contact is always a good idea; people are creepy under normal circumstances.
    This pretty much sums it up! 😂
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,938 Senior Member
    Natural population control. Only the infection and mortality rate doesn't equate to a grain of sand on a beach in the grand scheme of things. But emotionalists feel it's something to panic about.  And the media eats it up and keeps the narrative going.  And of course, it has to be turned political...
    The statistical reality may be completely inconsequential.

Any resulting panics. Not so much.
    Yup.  People be crazy.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

Don't laugh, he's got nosebleeds covered and Wings 🤣
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

edited February 2020 #15
    The statistical reality may be completely inconsequential.

Any resulting panics. Not so much.
    Stampede at the local Walmart.
    Do you have your pandemic supplies?
    :D

Stampeding Costco to stock up on water and toilet paper?

Really? :/

If I have to be at work interacting with hundreds of people. Put gas in my car with pumps handled by thousands. Etcetera so on and on and on. WHY DO I NEED MORE WATER AND TP??? :s
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,365 Senior Member
    I can confirm that the Costco here was almost completely out of soap, toilet paper, and water.

Liquor was still well stocked, so the panic has not really hit yet
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    edited March 2020 #20
    Yep, when there's a run on liquor then it's serious.
    You always knew a storm was coming by how empty the liquor shelves at the package store were on base.

• Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,145 Senior Member
    My wife is a nurse.  One of the her friends came in with a hairy looking face mask.  Someone said where did you get that thing.  Her friend responded since we're running out of mask, I knitted my husbands butt hair into one.  She said the floor full of nurses about wet themselves!
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21

Adam J. McCleod

CaliFFL said:

So masks work for healthcare workers, and do not work for the general public?  Got it.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

• GilaGila Posts: 1,828 Senior Member
    One must be trained in the proper use of a mask for it to be effective.
    No good deed goes unpunished...
    Has to be the right kind of mask and then it has to be worn properly and replaced as necessary. Knowing all that requires a bit of knowledge. Nothing the inquisitive mind isn't capable of but most average folks ain't very inquisitive.

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,132 Senior Member

Accipiter said:
    So masks work for healthcare workers, and do not work for the general public?  Got it.
    I am not sure what your Walmart is like and while I have seen some crazy stuff at mine, I have never had to stand inches above someone with their mouth wide open with saliva and crap flying all over the place at one. On the other hand, I have seen it happen all day, every day, at the dentist's office.

The masks don't work so much as a virus filter as it does a physical barrier that keeps the dentist's spit (and the germs attached to that spit) from flying out of his mouth into my wide open mouth below. It also keeps the spit and plaque (and the germs attached to those substances) from flying out of my mouth into his.

The best defense?

Wash your damn hands people!!! Plain soap and water does wonders.

Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    Accipiter said:
    CaliFFL said:

That was my first thought as well. I'm not the only cynical skeptic or skeptical cynic. :smile:

This tweet has nothing to do with mask training, fellas. This is intended to ensure healthcare pros and government entities have masks. Period. 

Citizens lives are not as valuable. 

Adam J. McCleod

The typical masks you see do not fit tight enough to prevent air entrainment around the edges and therefore are only effective against large airborne particulate such as someone sneezing or coughing in your face. In which case your eyes are just as susceptible an entry point. 
    The mask they refer to as N-95 is if properly applied, an effective barrier but not commonly availability on the market.
    You can buy N-95s all day long at Lowes, Home Depot, Sherwin Williams, PPG paints, Northern Tool, Menards.  I have never purchased them at Walmart so I do not know if they are commonly available there.  I always have a couple boxes for sanding, demo in dirty houses, spraying latex paint, etc.

You could buy I should say.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

I honestly never looked. By commonly available I was more referring to what you see everyone wearing in public. Those are fairly useless.
    We don't need masks.

We need water and tp by the truck load :/