Home Main Category Clubhouse

The new .22lr

Replies

• AccipiterAccipiter New Member Posts: 887 Senior Member
    Today’s scouting report.  Went to Academy to look at a shotgun and it was next door to a Costco.  The parking lot to the Costco was packed full.  No spots.  It was like Christmas.  In the Academy it was packed with whole families in the middle of the day.  School has been cancelled for the next few weeks, and families were out.
    Apparently free thought is punished, and conformity is required, while peckerless cowards run the show.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

Ah......One savors the hypocrisy!

Karma.........It’s a bitch.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member

I planning on venturing to town tomorrow morning early. The weather has turned terrible (5" snow, single digit lows, and 45 mph gusts). I'm hoping to have the place to myself. 

Schools are still open here. 
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,205 Senior Member
    That was a pack of paper towels. Butt no, I don't need it. When your pay days are, "Well... I may have a paycheck... next month... or maybe the month after that..." you tend to be well stocked when the funds are available.
    Forget the brick of ammo, we need a "Last person to post wins a 48 pack of two ply toilet paper" thread.
    🤣
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,143 Senior Member
    Local fuel up still has untouched Purell in the public dispensers.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,038 Senior Member
    Accipiter said:
    Today’s scouting report.  Went to Academy to look at a shotgun and it was next door to a Costco.  The parking lot to the Costco was packed full.  No spots.  It was like Christmas.  In the Academy it was packed with whole families in the middle of the day.  School has been cancelled for the next few weeks, and families were out.
    Hey! No gatherings over 250 persons!
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Accipiter said:
    I’m pretty sure if someone tried to break that mob up, they would have been buried.
    Apparently free thought is punished, and conformity is required, while peckerless cowards run the show.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

Accipiter said:
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Accipiter said:
    I’m pretty sure if someone tried to break that mob up, they would have been buried. (as Accipiter quietly loads the contents of their over turned carts in his SUV...... :*)

I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,132 Senior Member

Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine

-Thomas Paine
    edited March 2020 #101
    My recon adventure this evening....

They closed at midnight but had a sign up saying they were going to start closing tomorrow at 10pm so they had more time to restock and do maintenance. Not only was the TP all gone but so was all paper towels and wipes, all bottled water, all fresh chicken except for gizzards and livers. All fresh and frozen turkey. Most pork. Most beef-- no ground beef at all. All fresh fish and seafood. There was a still a good variety of produce. All ramen was gone, all boxed mac and cheese, all rice, all canned pasta, most of the dried pasta but plenty of pasta sauce. Dried beans were slim pickings. All but premium flour. All granulated sugar, the vast majority of canned soup and canned vegetables was gone. Bread was wiped out but there was still quite a bit-- just no variety. Most frozen veggies were gone. All whole and 2% milk was gone-- there were only a few gallons of 1/2% and skim left. Liquid hand soap, rubbing alcohol, hand sanitizer, and bleach were all gone. Cheap bar soap was all gone but they had premium brands like Irish Spring and Coast. Canned tuna? All but super premium stuff was gone. Spam= gone. Dinty Moore? Gone.

What was still plentiful... Soda, juice, beer, wine (they actually had 2 carts of clearance wine-- I snagged me a bottle of 2018 Louis Jadot Beaujolais for $8), liquor, most produce, condiments, pickles, salad dressings, chips, cookies, snacks, peanut butter (other than the store brand on sale), jelly, cereal, frozen dinners, eggs, butter, cheese, and most other dairy products with the exception of milk. There was also plenty of dog and cat food-- people aren't that desperate yet, but give it time. Shampoo, toothpaste, and conditioner was plentiful. Floral was well stocked too and I got Mrs. Jerm a nice bouquet from the 50% off bin.

I have gone to the store just before blizzards hit before and have never seen the shelves like this. For a blizzard, they usually wipe out the bread, milk, and hamburger. This is pretty wild!

When I got there, there weren't very many customers there at all-- typical of what I see when I go there that late. There were a bunch of very tired looking store workers though. They were hauling all kinds of stuff out to get the aisles restocked and as I was leaving, another semi truck was pulling around to the back. Coolgunguy-- Give your people an elbow bump from me. They are working hard and doing a hell of a job!
    -Thomas Paine
    Thanks for the report.  If the supply chain is interrupted, and the shelves go bare, the pimple is going to pop.  

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

My brother sent this to me. This is Sams Club in SoCal

When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

CaliFFL said:
    My brother sent this to me. This is Sams Club in SoCal

So everyone has a couple of weeks of food now, is your brother nervous about this when it gets eaten up? The Aldi's and Target I use were still doing ok with food, TP is finally gone, plenty of napkins and paper towel. The cashier at Aldi's said they are getting 30% less stuff on the truck the past several trucks and the distribution warehouses are getting low, a cousin in-law that works for a different chain confirmed this also and they will not have any deliveries for the next couple of days except for dairy products. Seems we are overtaxing the supple lines, might be interesting on the left coast in a week or so depending on the supply line. If someone was playing us, it would seem to be working.
    I for one, am happy that I no longer live anywhere near an urban center. My brother is concerned about TP and food supply. I told him to get his ass up here before travel is restricted. Neither of us are concerned about the cause, only the effect. 

Adam J. McCleod

edited March 2020 #106
    CaliFFL said:
    I for one, am happy that I no longer live anywhere near an urban center. My brother is concerned about TP and food supply. I told him to get his ass up here before travel is restricted. Neither of us are concerned about the cause, only the effect. 
    Might be even more interesting with some "fluctuations" in the power grid. On a happy note, I scored a case of 96 rolls of TP tonight, hopefully, I will never need it and it can remain in the stash. My cousin showed me this today, once things slow down, might be a while to get up to speed again:

About travel...I work in the commercial aircraft industry. I have to identify 17% of my indirect labor to let go tomorrow. Gut punch to me and them/their families. 

Adam J. McCleod

Now that people are panicking and running about, here's a fun movie to watch.😉
    They got the catch phrase right and it's not a bad movie. Dial it up if you haven't seen it already.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

Take a break from it all.

I went to Sam's Club today just to see what it was like. That, and since I am the only man living in a house with 4 women, I thought it was important to have a stock of chocolate and potato chips available.

Fresh meat? Basically gone. Frozen meat and prepared stuff like hot dogs and lunch meat was plentiful. I didn't see any inside (I didn't look very hard either) but when I got there, there were people walking out with toilet paper. Bottled water was available with a limit of 2 cases. Tissue and paper towels were available. Some certain items were missing like the bulk bags of rice. Cheap tuna, Spam, canned pasta... all gone, but if you did need to stock up to ride out a few weeks, there was plenty of stuff available.

For a regular week day, it was brisk. Compared to regular weekend traffic, it was slow. Compared to holiday traffic? It was super slow. People were pleasant and calm.

I think people are finally stocked up/out of hoarding money for now.
    -Thomas Paine
    I went to Sam's Club today just to see what it was like. That, and since I am the only man living in a house with 4 women, I thought it was important to have a stock of chocolate and potato chips available.

Fresh meat? Basically gone. Frozen meat and prepared stuff like hot dogs and lunch meat was plentiful. I didn't see any inside (I didn't look very hard either) but when I got there, there were people walking out with toilet paper. Bottled water was available with a limit of 2 cases. Tissue and paper towels were available. Some certain items were missing like the bulk bags of rice. Cheap tuna, Spam, canned pasta... all gone, but if you did need to stock up to ride out a few weeks, there was plenty of stuff available.

For a regular week day, it was brisk. Compared to regular weekend traffic, it was slow. Compared to holiday traffic? It was super slow. People were pleasant and calm.

I think people are finally stocked up/out of hoarding money for now.
    Did you get chips and chocolate?
    Facing the prospect of being stuck home with a house full of nervous women? Damn skippy!
    -Thomas Paine
    Now I have to leave my suburban confines to the inner city and find some 40 ouncers of that wonderful fine malt liquor, Mickey's, to celebrate St. Patrick's Day tomorrow.

Wish me luck!
    -Thomas Paine
    edited March 2020 #114
    I still haven't figured out the fascination with toilet paper. I was watching a CDC expert and he was baffled also. He recommended liquid hand soap and a stocked frig. 👍

If it gets really bad, at least those TP hoarders will just starve with a clean backside. That's so important. 🤣

Facing the prospect of being stuck home with a house full of nervous women? Damn skippy!
    Hey, I work with an office full of women, I know the chocolate, pretzel, and whole salted cashew drill well :)  
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,828 Senior Member
    Spk said:
    I still haven't figured out the fascination with toilet paper. I was watching a CDC expert and he was baffled also. He recommended liquid hand soap and a stocked frig. 👍

If it gets really bad, at least those TP hoarders will just starve with a clean backside. That's so important. 🤣
    Howie Mandels House Gets Trashed With Toilet Paper By Roman Atwood Video
    No good deed goes unpunished...
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,828 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Hey, I work with an office full of women, I know the chocolate, pretzel, and whole salted cashew drill well :)  
    Smores Burger - Epic Meal Time - YouTube
    No good deed goes unpunished...
    So I went to one of my food service suppliers today. They are open to the public. They were slightly busier than a normal weekday afternoon. Aside from toilet paper, they had everything in stock.
    -Thomas Paine
    Walmart 6am thismorning.
    No lunch meat, hotdogs, kielbasa, pork, chicken nada. Some beef. No pasta, no dried beans or rice. Some canned beans. Not much. Canned veggies hardly any.

I got a ham and trimmings. Cereal milk eggs cheese. Bratwurst. Froze berries. Froze hot wings. Minute rice. Fresh produce. Bread. TP.. A few other odds and ends.

Only positive thing I can say about it is there was no rudeness or violence. That won't last.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,717 Senior Member

Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

edited March 2020 #121
    Sams club had TP yesterday.  Staple foods, meat, and frozen food were wiped out.  I feel bad for some with the shell shocked look on their face pushing a cart with their kids.  

Normalcy bias is a dangerous thing.  We just came through a pretty good run with the economy.  Many people could have worked to reduce debt, and squirrel away some essentials for a rainy day.  I suspect very few did, by the reaction I have witnessed.  When this is over, my guess is the newest iPhone will, once again, be more important than a month of essentials.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...