Home Main Category Hunting

I missed a deer!!!

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 24,509 Senior Member
edited February 2020 in Hunting #1
And I missed her BAD!!!

Needed to put a deer in the freezer so we went out yesterday evening in a rather low key attempt to fill an MLD Tag. 
Meaning, we parked the ATV in front of the house and sat on the front porch waiting for a deer to walk across the pasture in range of my new C308. 
They showed up late and one doe began walking down the road below the house. I climbed up in the back of the ATV with a small BogPod Tripod as a front rest. With the downward angle, I didn’t have a rear rest. I just leaned over the roof of the ATV, propped up on my elbows with one below the butt stock and one below the magazine. Because of the awkward angle and position, I pulled down hard on the forend to stabilize the rifle and allow me to minimize recoil/muzzle rise, follow through, and see my impact. Just like I do with a bolt gun every day. 
Well, my boy was videoing over my shoulder when I shot. 
Before the Shot

At the Shot

After Impact

Now, part of being a good shooter is being able to call your shot (last place the reticle was as the shot breaks), not blink in recoil, and see your impact through the scope. 
Well, I did all those things...........and what I saw didn’t look right. I saw the impact in the dirt WAY above the doe. I saw zero physical reaction to an impact. I lifted my head to watch her as she ran. She ran about 50 yards and stopped. Looking back over her shoulder to where the noise came from, she looked around as though surprised and confused. Then, trotted off into the brush. Shot deer don’t do that. 
At this point, I’m wondering how the Hell I could have missed. There was no WAY I could have missed!  Still, I walked to the location of the shot and did my due diligence of tracking her route to the brush and looking for blood. None. No hair. No blood. 
I watched the video and it confirmed what I saw through my scope. I missed by a MILE!!  At 68 yards!!  From a rested position!!!
To say I was pissed would be an understatement. I don’t remember the last time I missed a whitetail deer. If I ever have!!  
I played over and over in my head what I could have done wrong and didn’t have an answer. I sighted the rifle in last week and hadn’t dropped it or banged it against anything. I was dumbfounded and tormented by the mistake I obviously made. And I didn’t have a reason. 
Until 3:40 this morning. I must have been dreaming about it, because I woke up from sleep, eyes popped open, I knew immediately what had happened!!!
The forend slides into the front of the receiver. Then, the front is pinned around the barrel between the operating rod tube and the barrel. It’s NOT free floated!
When I pulled down hard on the back of the forend to stabilize the rifle in the tripod, I inadvertently pushed the barrel UP!  Not noticeable through the scope, I was changing the POA of the barrel. That’s why you never rest a barrel on a hard object when firing. Except, I didn’t rest the barrel. I rested the forend.............attached to the barrel!!!  Whatever pressure I put on the forend was therefore transferred to the barrel. I had to confirm. 
So today, I recreated the shooting position. 

With the target at 100 yards, I pulled down on the forend like yesterday. Just not as hard.......I didn’t want to shoot over the 3 foot berm. 
Aiming at the bottom of a piece of tape, the round struck 9 inches above my POA!!!  I then used a standard front rest and rear bag to shoot at 100 yards. Just like one would when zeroing the rifle. The forend was on the rest and my left hand was tucked under the butt stock squeezing the rear bag with my face on the cheek rest. No pressure. Just dead weight on the rifle. 

Aiming at the bottom of the tape again, the round struck 2 inches high. Exactly where it should with a 50 yard zero!

I still missed that deer. At least I know why. Apparently the C308 is VERY sensitive to forend pressure. 
Note to self. 
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,882 Senior Member
    I doubt there's many people that would have had as much fun making a complete forensic evaluation of a minor mistake :)
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,509 Senior Member
    I doubt there's many people that would have had as much fun making a complete forensic evaluation of a minor mistake :)
    I had to know. 😎
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,570 Senior Member
    The important thing is, you figured it out...and, you are still human.  Thanks for sharing a frustrating reality. 
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,087 Senior Member
    edited February 2020 #5
    Well done job of figuring things out......I've had this happen a time or two And it just nags at me til I figure out what happened...just keep playing it over in my head until the light comes on...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,297 Senior Member
    Looking at that second picture, I was sure you skipped the round off the luggage rack.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,322 Senior Member
    So, is there a way to correct this and still keep a sight picture?
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,250 Senior Member
    Well, that's gotta be the luckiest deer in Texas. 

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    Looking at that second picture, I was sure you skipped the round off the luggage rack.
    Yeah, looking at the video........I had to check myself as well. 😁
    GunNut said:
    Don’t put pressure on the forend. 😒
    Well, that's gotta be the luckiest deer in Texas. 

Mike
    Yeah. That was a chip shot!!!  And I screwed it up. 
    :facepalm:
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,960 Senior Member
    Science! Good job.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    Well, I just made up for it. 
    Shot the same doe in a different location. With the same gun. 
    And actually HIT her this time!!!  She dead. 
  • AccipiterAccipiter New Member Posts: 886 Senior Member
    edited February 2020 #14
    Two shots 1 kill. ;)
    Apparently free thought is punished, and conformity is required, while peckerless cowards run the show.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

Ah......One savors the hypocrisy!

Karma.........It’s a bitch.
  • AccipiterAccipiter New Member Posts: 886 Senior Member
    Good job of figuring it out.  There is always a why.
    Apparently free thought is punished, and conformity is required, while peckerless cowards run the show.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

Ah......One savors the hypocrisy!

Karma.........It’s a bitch.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,570 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    Well, I just made up for it. 
    Shot the same doe in a different location. With the same gun. 
    And actually HIT her this time!!!  She dead. 

I had a suspicion that she wasn't going to be long on this earth.
    Good work!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,250 Senior Member
    At least you didn't skim the luggage rack. 

I skimmed my truck windshield not once, but twice, shooting at the same pdog. I was bi-podded on the hood of my truck, and there was a dog at a really tight angle. I was able to settle the crosshairs on him only by canting the rifle onto one leg of the pod. I squeezed the trigger and for the only time in my life I heard a V-Max scream off in ricochet. I thought that's strange and loaded another round.

Reacquired the target and when I squeezed the trigger again, it was like someone had thrown a 5 gallon bucket of water across my FOV through the scope.

When I lifted my head from the scope I saw pebbles of glass laying on my hood. "Oh crap....I forgot about the scope axis vs. bore axis thingy when I canted the rifle".

My windshield probably would have survived the first hit, but the second in the same place resulted in a 4" hole in the glass and probably 3 dozen small fragment holes in my dash and interior of the passenger door. (VMaxes go nuts when they meet resistance. But I already knew that).

I duct taped the windshield hole as best I could, Then drove the 130 miles home at 40 mph hoping my windshield didn't fall into my lap. It didn't.

The next day the mobile windshield guy laughed when I described what happened. Said he'd never met anybody that had shot his truck. I asked him if he knew the difference between a real truck and an SUV. He allowed he didn't.

I told him, "Two bullet holes".

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,322 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    GunNut said:
    What I meant is, might it be different if instead of pulling on the foremd from the bottom you just hold down from the top to minimize muzzle rise?
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

GunNut said:
    Zee said:
    GunNut said:
    What I meant is, might it be different if instead of pulling on the foremd from the bottom you just hold down from the top to minimize muzzle rise?
    If you are pressing down and there is something towards the front of the forest pressing up.........you will have the same result. 
    My shooting rest. 

The doe I shot hung out at the edge of the brush facing me for about 10 minutes before she finally moved under the feeder, broadside. 

At the shot, her hind legs collapsed and she stumbled around under the feeder. Turning around a couple times before stumbling over and collapsing behind my game camera to the left. About 10 yards from start to finish. 
    There was a big pile of hair at the point of impact and blood everywhere from the exit. 

The excess corn is from spilling yesterday when I filled the feeder. 
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,930 Senior Member
    edited February 2020 #21
    Ahem, I wonder if you would have practiced at more than 100 yds if you would have picked up on this forearm pressure? ;)
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    First deer with my new C308 and the last of the 2019/2020 season. 

The Little Man was at my side as usual. Videoing for me. 

CHIRO1989 said:
    Ahem, I wonder if you would have practiced at more than 100 yds if you would have picked up on this forearm pressure? ;)
    Shaddup YOU!
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,930 Senior Member
    Move on to pigs and yotes now, strrretttccchhh it out
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,391 Senior Member
    Guess you are human after all :p
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,152 Senior Member
    edited February 2020 #26
    That was exactly what I thought I was seeing in the pic.

In the end, great redemption by analysis and debugging.  You got to end things on a high note.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    knitepoet said:
    Guess you are human after all :p
    First member of my family to use tools and walk upright. 
    edited February 2020 #28
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Move on to pigs and yotes now, strrretttccchhh it out
    This gun is not really suited for any of that. But, I might shoot it at distance just for fun. 
    Six-Gun said:
    That was exactly what I thought I was seeing in the pic.

In the end, great redemption by analysis and debugging.  You got to end things on a high note.
    Thanks. 
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,131 Senior Member
    I guess if you are going to miss, a clean miss is the best thing to have.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    The 168gr A-Max continues to be amazing. 

Entry

The bullet passed through the juncture of the aortic arch and the left and right lung bronchi. Effectively shutting down the cardiovascular and respiratory systems to communicate with the rest of the body. 

Exit 

When they exit.........they do so in spectacular fashion.