Home Main Category General Firearms

Not something you see every day!

zorbazorba Senior MemberPosts: 23,664 Senior Member
Yet another oddball Zorba firearm, a FP-45 Liberator reproduction:

Now I just need the softest shooting .45 ACP I can find just so I can say I've shot the thing...
-Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,923 Senior Member
    edited February 28 #2
    I saw where they recreated those things a few years ago...complete with the reproduction cardboard box and a stick...for $600.00...

Just get some 230 grain G.I. ball ammo to get the full effect..and don't expect an extended range session
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,664 Senior Member
    $515 shipped if you forego the box and stick. I think I'll pass on the "full effect", if its all the same to you... ;):D
    Fills a hole in my collection, at 1/2 to 1/5th the price.

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    $2.10 in 1942....ain't inflation hell ?
    IIRC the "effective range" was 8 yards...that sounds pretty optimistic :)
    I think its optimistic too - youtubers seem to have problems hitting targets at 7 yards with them. It may be as bad or worse than my NAA .22s!
    I had a yak with the guy who makes them, they're a PITA to build apparently. They don't have the mass production tooling that Guide Lamp did, plus they want to do a better job, so its a lot of hand fitting, and they're mostly sold BTO. He was making a batch of 7, and even let me pick my own serial number.
    Although the repro's bbl is rifled per law, looking inside it shows that it isn't exactly a match bbl! Rifling is very shallow, and the bore is on the rough side - but far better than the original.

Well...since the intent was for it to be used at not much further than contact distance...I suppose it would get the job done...
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,714 Senior Member
    Just man up and shoot a regular ball rnd
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
    NN said:
    Just man up and shoot a regular ball rnd
    Yep! Find one of those foam mannequin heads and put it on a stick for a target...
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    Don't shoot that.

Without a beret on your head.
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,966 Senior Member
    Don't worry Zorb, a 45 ballsy round won't blow your skirt up. 😏
    Otherwise, just learn to reload. Then you could shoot that thing a lot. 👍
    Btw, you're now ready for the...

Revolution!!!!

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    That needs to come to Tennessee this year. I have been wanting one of those forever... for under $150. I want to at least get to load, shoot, and unload yours if you wouldn't mind.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    Already in the plan, gotcha covered. And Ned is MORE than welcome to shoot full house loads through it.

" Full house" is 850 fps...probably quite a bit less from that rig...really shouldn't be all that bad
    Maybe not, from what I'm reading, the less than optimal grip is a contributing factor. Most seem to wear gloves.

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,152 Senior Member
    Always wanted one of those.  Very cool historical weapon
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,741 Senior Member
    Not for me.  I'm a capitalist and I support free enterprise, but I couldn't help but wonder how much it costs to make a cheap gun that then sells for $600???   $600 can buy a lot of gun, and $2.10 in 1942 translates to $34 today. And you still have a replica.  I wonder what a replica Liberator would be worth a few years down the road.  

But if it scratches an itch, it's your money. Better than investing it into the current stock market.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    I remember in 1969, I was told that if I lost my M14, they would deduct $120.00 from my pay...
    edited February 29 #18
    Yep.  The monthly salary of an E-1 in 69 was about $60. and $120 represented a lot of money. Two months.  To put it in modern terms, you can buy a fully tricked out M1A today for two months salary.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,262 Senior Member
    That is cool!

Ben Franklin recommended longbows in place of muskets for arming the Continental army - faster rate of fire, more accuracy, and better range.

At three rounds per minute for a trained redcoat, I think even the musket would be faster than an FP-45.  Always seemed to me that one could find WAY better methods for acquiring a K98 or MP-40. . .for example, you're in France. . .lots of French chefs. . .lots of good carbon steel French chef's knives. . .
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    edited February 29 #20
    Ben also proposed the turkey as the official American bird.  As for longbows and longbowmen, not sure he wasn't making a point or joking...he was known as a wit. 

As for longbows as weapons, they required years of training to become proficient as weapons...which is one reason firearms replaced them. Formerly, Englishmen were required to practice with them weekly, but events such as the Plague reduced the labor force and made a shortage of practiced longbowmen and I think eliminated the laws requiring weekly practice. Peasants were needed more to produce food rather than as soldiers.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,794 Senior Member
     Very cool!  Always wanted to pop a cap out of one. 
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• North ForestNorth Forest Member Posts: 355 Member
    Cool gun with an interesting WWII history, a "resistance fighter" concept that almost was pulled off (but wasn't). Apparently the British had priority problems with the delivery and dropped the idea. Neat that ammo can be stored in the grip.
  • PFDPFD Senior Member Posts: 1,331 Senior Member
    I heard it actually took longer to load and fire one of those than it did to make it.😮
    That's all I got.

Paul
    GunNut said:
    Comin' this year?

Cool gun with an interesting WWII history, a "resistance fighter" concept that almost was pulled off (but wasn't). Apparently the British had priority problems with the delivery and dropped the idea. Neat that ammo can be stored in the grip.
    Probably NOT the best idea to actually have ammo in the grip when firing it - I put 10 plastic dummy rounds in there just as an illustration. They rattle. Real ammo would get beat to death, and it'd only get worse the more ammo was fired with fewer rounds in the grip.
    Its only been recently that exactly one instance of it being deployed as intended has come to light. Somebody popped off a Nazi officer in France with one.

IIRC They made a million of them...and one got used as intended....
    Sounds about right for a gov't boondoggle!

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    From what I've read. European espionage and counter espionage was elaborate and long standing. We were late and behind the curve. I think Bill Donavan and the OSS had more failure than success. The successes were pretty good though.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,794 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    GunNut said:
    Comin' this year?
    That’s the plan.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

Cool beans. Then you can "pop a cap" out of mine - if you can find a cap that'll work. Otherwise, I suggest a .45ACP round of your choice, although I expect to bring some.

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,628 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    IIRC They made a million of them...and one got used as intended....
    The French have standards about what they will use in combat, who knew?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11