Home Main Category Hunting

New Turd in the mail box

2»

Replies

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    tennmike said:
    Don't have anything particularly against the .270 Win. except ONE thing. I have a few .30-06 rifles, and there is no reason to have a .270.
    I also have a couple of 7x57 Mauser chambered rifles built on 98 Mauser actions that are operating on a higher pressure than the old 96 Mauser reloading data. I hunt in Eastern TN brush country where a shot of over 100 yards is the EXCEPTION, as most shots are 70 yards or less. And the ability of a .30-06 to chamber a .270 Win. cartridge creeps me out.
    I've also never had a dead deer shot with a .30-06 complain about inadequate power when used with properly reloaded ammo and bullets of good construction, so there's that to consider, also. :D
    You can put a .243 in a .308 too, just ask my uncle :D

I've done it with the .270 and 06. It doesn't build enough pressure to hurt anything. It makes a weird sound but you can't hit a bull in the butt with a bass fiddle  than with it, you couldn't hit an elephant with that at 50 yards with it. It doesn't hardly grab the rifling. Now if you could get a .280 in a .270 that might be a problem, but they made the .280 Remington's case .050 longer than a .270 just for that reason. And no way you're getting a .30-06 bullet to chamber in a .270, it's just too big. The bolt won't close.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.