Home Main Category General Firearms

Thoughts/Experience - Century Arms DRACO NAK9x

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 24,004 Senior Member
https://www.centuryarms.com/draco-nak9x.html

AK Style Pistol in 9mm W/ 11” barrel that accepts Glock mags!

What’s not to love?!?

All the reviews I’ve read on line are favorable. 

Might be another good HD/Travel/Plinker. 

Thoughts?
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,095 Senior Member
    I thought you were done with PCCs,

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,004 Senior Member
    .223 Rem........probably so. 

9mm is the new option available. 
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    I would be careful. It has a warning label....

WARNING: THIS PRODUCT CAN EXPOSE YOU TO CHEMICALS INCLUDING LEAD, WHICH IS KNOWN TO THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA TO CAUSE CANCER AND BIRTH DEFECTS OR OTHER REPRODUCTIVE HARM. FOR MORE INFORMATION GO TO WWW.P65WARNINGS.CA.GOV

Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,796 Senior Member
    I keep looking at those and the PSA ARs in 9mm which run in the $500s and can’t make up my mind.

Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• AccipiterAccipiter New Member Posts: 885 Senior Member
    I opted for an AR variant.  I prefer the ergonomics.  It also keeps uniformity across my SD battery.  I opted for a 4.5 inch barrel.  That way if I add a suppressor the oal is much more manageable in the home.
    Apparently free thought is punished, and conformity is required, while peckerless cowards run the show.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

Ah......One savors the hypocrisy!

Karma.........It’s a bitch.
    Accipiter said:
    I opted for an AR variant.  I prefer the ergonomics.  It also keeps uniformity across my SD battery.  I opted for a 4.5 inch barrel.  That way if I add a suppressor the oal is much more manageable in the home.
    That’s the one I seem to be leaning to.  How do you like it?

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

Fyi, the dust cover rails suck.  I tested two high end models.  I tested a TWS, and I can’t remember the other.  I will dig around in the cave and try to find the other brand.  Neither held zero well.  That was done at 100 yards.  Maybe you would be ok at house distances.  I suspect you would be disappointed, but I have no experience with the Draco version.  If you opt for the AK variant, I would get a side mounted scope rail.

I am generally not a fan of the AK platform.  
    Apparently free thought is punished, and conformity is required, while peckerless cowards run the show.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

GunNut said:
    Accipiter said:
    That’s the one I seem to be leaning to.  How do you like it?
    Mine is in process. Custom build.  Those I have shot, I like a lot.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

Accipiter said:
    But........but........but..........I don’t have an AK variant. 😁
    Accipiter said:
    Fyi, the dust cover rails suck.  I tested two high end models.  I tested a TWS, and I can’t remember the other.  I will dig around in the cave and try to find the other brand.  Neither held zero well. 
    That was my biggest fear. 
    Zee said:

But........but........but..........I don’t have an AK variant. 😁
    I get it.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

Here is a mock-up of my build so far.  I have a long linear brake installed on the barrel.  The suppressor I have in mind will add 1 inch to the oal.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

Accipiter said:
    Here is a mock-up of my build so far.  I have a long linear brake installed on the barrel.  The suppressor I have in mind will add 1 inch to the oal.

Nice!!!

Thanks

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

• JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,247 Senior Member
    JKP said:
    A bit too much. Besides, one of the draws of the Draco is the fact it takes Glock Mags. Of which I have a plethora. 
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,247 Senior Member
    Not yet available, but might be a compelling option:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0kzeAZfnew

So the other dust cover rail I tried was the Parbellum armament.  I just got lost in the cave looking for that.  I swear the Mad Hatter was watching from around the corner.  I found an upper, and three AR barrels I forgot I had.  It’s not like I need another project.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,628 Senior Member
    With the intended use, the more AK's, the better.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    Any testing at 100 yards should likely be for fun.  Yes, a 124 gr 9mm bullet with a BC of .141 at 100 yards like a Speer Gold Dot will be about 310 FPE energy, but it shines under 50 yards.  Like a .22, it starts out supersonic about 1325 fps, and then likely drops below supersonic around 60 yards, and likely will not be accurate at 100 yards.  I also assume it to be an iron sight / red dot candidate.  If you wanted an accurate 9mm at 100 yards it would likely need to be a subsonic round or a faster round. 

IMHO

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,856 Senior Member
    I'm surprised you don't own it yet!  
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
    bellcat said:
    It’s a dating process. 😁
    BigDanS said:
    Any testing at 100 yards should likely be for fun.  Yes, a 124 gr 9mm bullet with a BC of .141 at 100 yards like a Speer Gold Dot will be about 310 FPE energy, but it shines under 50 yards.  Like a .22, it starts out supersonic about 1325 fps, and then likely drops below supersonic around 60 yards, and likely will not be accurate at 100 yards.  I also assume it to be an iron sight / red dot candidate.  If you wanted an accurate 9mm at 100 yards it would likely need to be a subsonic round or a faster round. 

IMHO

D
    I think I shot my Ruger PC Carbine in 9mm @ 100 yards. Just for fun. But, I’ve slept since then and can’t remember. 
    Zee said:
    bellcat said:
    It’s a dating process. 😁
    You get to second base yet?  You can tell me, I’ll keep my mouth shut.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

Accipiter said:
    Zee said:
    bellcat said:
    It’s a dating process. 😁
    You get to second base yet?  You can tell me, I’ll keep my mouth shut.
    Well, it’s in my “Wish List”. And I have about half to put it in Purgatory. So........I’d say we are rounding second. 
    Highly interested in your range report if you get it.  Where/how would you hang a light off it?  I just saw the pistol version (no brace) with wood hand guard for $499.  Could be interesting.

GunNut said:
    Highly interested in your range report if you get it.  Where/how would you hang a light off it?  I just saw the pistol version (no brace) with wood hand guard for $499.  Could be interesting.
    The version I’m looking at (OP) has MagPul furniture with M-Lok. 
    If you do get it, I have had good success with the ultimak rail.  It replaces the piston tube and holds it’s zero well.  The tube does not need to be removed for routine cleaning.  The Ultimak is also low enough that you can co-witness with an aimpoint T1 or similar optic.  I believe they offer one in the Krinkoff sized tube.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

I’ve been watching several reviews. Seems to run well. But, nobody addresses the repeatable accuracy with the dust cover rail. They all just mention it being tight with no wobble.