Home Main Category Hunting

Well THIS is annoying....

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 22,380 Senior Member
edited March 2020 in Hunting #1
Went to check my game cameras around my feeders, looking for hogs. When I got to the second one, the feeder was knocked over and it appeared that someone had been digging around the legs with a shovel...

To say I was IRATE is putting it mildly. I figured some teenagers decided to have a little fun. Pulled the memory card from the camera watching that feeder, and since my plug in card reader isn't compatible with my new phone, I sat the feeder back up and hauled butt home to see what it showed.

First I checked for missing pictures... NOPE, all numbers were present..
Then I start looking at the pics trying to find WHEN it was knocked over...
Turned out it was still standing when this big fellow showed up and at 11:50 PM Friday night it was still standing. (There are more pics of him around it, but they're blurry because he was moving)

Then the next pic is 12:11 AM Saturday morning with 3 smaller hogs eating the spilled corn.

So, it appears the hogs knocked it over. So not AS irate (still not happy, because the barrel of the feeder is busted and I've got to replace it) but at least I've solved the mystery as to "who" (what) knocked it over.

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,536 Senior Member
    Plz refer to your sigline. :)

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,841 Senior Member
    Hey you can shoot them.
  • AccipiterAccipiter New Member Posts: 889 Senior Member
    Can you stake it down?
    Apparently free thought is punished, and conformity is required, while peckerless cowards run the show.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

Ah......One savors the hypocrisy!

Karma.........It’s a bitch.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,671 Senior Member
    Claymore...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,380 Senior Member
    Accipiter said:
    Can you stake it down?
    It had the supplied spikes through the feet. Contemplating making some MUCH longer ones out of rebar
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 26,061 Senior Member
    Use T-Posts and bailing wire. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Zee said:
    Use T-Posts and bailing wire. 
    Thanks,  when the new one gets here,  I might 

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,686 Senior Member
    yep. cows and pigs will try and get that last kernel of corn under the feeder leg and knock 'em over.

Take stakes (long ones, 9" riffing spikes can work) and cross them over the feet, and bailing wire the crap out of it
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Thanks

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Inventive little annoyances, aren't they?  I use the 18" rebar spikes on my elevated blind and, so far, they're working well.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    That's sorta what I'm thinking about.