Home Main Category Clubhouse

Membership approval?

JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior MemberPodunk, Tx.Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
I've been a member here for so long that I didn't realize one had to be approved to be a member.  I joined about the same time that Linefinder did, and don't recall when that was.  I do know that at the time the only mod was Marshal Dan.

When was membership approval implemented, and what are the criteria?
Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

Replies

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    From my days as a mod I remember that all new members have to be approved.  I believe Dan used to them himself and then it fell on the mods to take care of it.  New members go into a queue just waiting for a mod to approve them or delete them if they look like potential spammer.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Podunk, Tx.Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    From my days as a mod I remember that all new members have to be approved.  I believe Dan used to them himself and then it fell on the mods to take care of it.  New members go into a queue just waiting for a mod to approve them or delete them if they look like potential spammer.
    I had no idea.  Thanks.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Colorado SpringsPosts: 7,823 Senior Member
    edited March 2020 #4
    Membership approval is relatively recent....within the past couple years if I am remembering correctly.

All new members have to be approved by a mod, although I don't know why. There is no criteria. Sometimes you can spot an obvious spammer beforehand, but usually not. I routinely automatically approve anyone who applies, and if they turn out to be a spammer, deal with it as it occurs.

IMO, the entire approval thing is a waste of time.

Mike

edit: Jerry....I joined in Nov 2003 and you were already an established member.
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Manistee Natl ForestPosts: 18,289 Senior Member
    About the only clue we get as to whether an applicant is questionable is how they answer the "why do you want to join?" question,....if it's something like, "to promote my business" or to "sell stuff" they don't make it through the gate
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Membership approval is relatively recent....within the past couple years if I am remembering correctly.

All new members have to be approved by a mod, although I don't know why. There is no criteria. Sometimes you can spot an obvious spammer beforehand, but usually not. I routinely automatically approve anyone who applies, and if they turn out to be a spammer, deal with it as it occurs.

IMO, the entire approval thing is a waste of time.

Mike

edit: Jerry....I joined in Nov 2003 and you were already an established member.
    You're right.  Now that I think about it when Dan was around you just signed up and there was no approval required.  it happened after one of the Forum "upgrades".  Sorry, memory failed me.
    edited March 2020 #7
    Jayhawker said:
    About the only clue we get as to whether an applicant is questionable is how they answer the "why do you want to join?" question,....if it's something like, "to promote my business" or to "sell stuff" they don't make it through the gate
    Or if their email address is something like greatoutdoorgearforcheap .com......that helps in the disapproval process.

Mike
    N454casull
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Merrritt Island, FLPosts: 25,221 Senior Member
    I'm a mod on another forum. The software vets most, the rejects end up in a pile that the mods go through. We get 10 or 20 rejects a day - 99% from Russia.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Between Ft Lauderdale and MiamiPosts: 12,561 Senior Member
    I know that I have been a member for a long time.  Does anyone remember when the forum changed from a part of Florida Sportsman?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    I'm guessing '08 or so.

Mike
    N454casull
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Between Ft Lauderdale and MiamiPosts: 12,561 Senior Member
    I'm guessing '08 or so.

Mike
    OH,  I was thinking more like 02 or 03.
    I just know I remember the gun section of the FloridaSportsman, then Guns and Ammo.
    Original Screen name was Diver41, that 41 year old guy is now 60.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    I hear you, buddy. Funny how 40 seems young nowadays.

As to the Florida Sportsman thing, I joined this forum in late 03. I'd been a member for a few years and a mod for at least one before the changeup. That's why I'm thinking 08 or so.

Mike
    N454casull