Home Main Category General Firearms

Speaking of rimfire scopes... Adjusting parallax in centerfire scopes for rimfire ranges

GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
Many of my .22s are not expensive guns.  They are old Mossbergs and such, and they don't really have a very demanding life but the one thing they all have in common, they are all VERY accurate or they don't last long on the rack.  So except for the high end guns that get the pricier glass, the rest of them get inexpensive scopes, especially as my aging eyes struggle more and more to see those diminutive iron sight.

A few weeks ago I scored a batch of Korean Bushnell Sportsview scopes that also came with a bunch of guns (that's another story).  A great score because they are one of the EASIEST centerfire scopes in the world to adjust parallax on to make them .22 friendly.  I'd thought I'd share how.

As you can see in the picture the bell of the scope (contains the front lens) has a "locking" ring at the end of said bell.  All you have to do is remove this ring (you can use a strap wrench if it's really tight or one of those rubber jar lid opening thingies) to expose the threaded carrier which is how the factory sets parallax on them.  You can use a flat metal, well just about anything works including my metal ruler and the wife's nail file, between the two notches of the carrier to turn it.  

Place the gun on a secure rest and aim at a target at your preferred rimfire distance.  I like about 25-35 yards.  Screw the carrier in and out until your target is nice and sharp focused and then move your head around and fine tune so there is as little movement of the crosshairs around the target as possible.  relatively small adjustments go a long way.

Put the ring back on when you're satisfied and you are done, you now have a rimfire scope.  Procedure is pretty much the same for just about any scope out there.  Only gotcha is do NOT unscrew the lens carrier all the way out.  The nitrogen in the scope is now gone and it will fog on you.  

Here's a 10/22 I jut finished ready for a range trip.

Anyway, that's it!  Here's more detail on the how to in this short article if you need it.

https://www.mcarbo.com/store/pg/33-adjusting-parallax-on-non-ao-scope.aspx

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    Very timely. I can't see too good through a few of my old rf scopes. Somewhere in the future they're in need of replacement.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Very timely. I can't see too good through a few of my old rf scopes. Somewhere in the future they're in need of replacement.
    I’m glad it’ll help out.  It’s so easy to do you can actually do it at the range.
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,772 Senior Member
    Good to know. I have a .22 that I haven't taken to the range in a long time. Now I have a reason to fiddle with it again. 😁
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• jentb737jentb737 Posts: 9 New Member
    Hello, Do you know how to correctly adjust the parallax on a 35 year old REDFIELD 10 power fixed power rifle scope with the adjustment for parallax on the side of the scope ??? You can use a penny and push the adjustment knob in and click it to different positions. There are some reference numbers on this ring. I need some help to learn how to set or adjust the parallax..... Thank You, Jent   
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    jentb737 said:
    Hello, Do you know how to correctly adjust the parallax on a 35 year old REDFIELD 10 power fixed power rifle scope with the adjustment for parallax on the side of the scope ??? You can use a penny and push the adjustment knob in and click it to different positions. There are some reference numbers on this ring. I need some help to learn how to set or adjust the parallax..... Thank You, Jent   
    Sorry I’m not familiar with that model.  Maybe someone else here is?  

Welcome to the forum.
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,772 Senior Member
    Here's what I found from a Redfield scope manual.
    To eliminate parallax in adjustable objective (ao) scopes 
    follow these steps
    1. The reticle should be clear (focused) before 
    adjusting the parallax. If it is not, follow the 
    instructions under “Focusing the Reticle.” See 
    pages 8 & 9.
    2. With the firearm in a stable position, look through 
    the scope, concentrating on the center aiming point 
    of the reticle.
    3. Move your head slightly up and down while turning 
    the adjustable objective ring until the reticle does 
    not move in relation to the target.
    Note: By estimating the range to the target and using 
    the numbers on the adjustable objective ring, you 
    can get your parallax adjustments close to the proper 
    setting before assuming a shooting position.

https://www.redfield.com

You can find a manual at their website. You might not find your exact manual but when it comes to adjusting parallax using an external knob, most seem to be pretty similar.

The process mirrors what's laid out in this article.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/scopes-beginners-parallax-adjustment/

Use can use the knobs to get you in the ballpark but you'll need to do the rest yourself using the process described above. (In the manual and in the article)

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• PegasusPegasus Senior Member Texas Gulf CoastPosts: 2,854 Senior Member
    You do realize the article in the link is completely wrong.  I haven't read something so incorrect in a very long time.