Home Main Category General Firearms

Reloading questions

bullsi1911bullsi1911 ModeratorPosts: 12,309 Senior Member
1- how often do you all change out your case cleaning media?  Just realized mine is years old, but I don’t use it that much

2- I have noticed across several calibers that Federal cases make a “ping!” When you decap the spent primer out of them.  Does not seem to happen with any of the other brands of cases.  Anyone else noticed this?
To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
-Mikhail Kalashnikov

Replies

  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Eastern NebraskaPosts: 8,155 Senior Member
    1) I keep going with media until I start seeing excessive dust showing up on the cases.  Then I toss and replace the old stuff.

    2) Haven't noticed that, but haven't used much Federal brass in Years.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Panama City, Fl.Posts: 8,687 Senior Member
    If it's .556 ammo the primers may be crimped in. I've heard that ping you refer to but don't remember what I was loading at the time.
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member OregonPosts: 1,526 Senior Member
    edited March 2020 #4
    what media are you using.????

    for what its worth, Walnut is for cleaning and Corn Cob is for polish.

    Corn Cob breaks down faster.  

    I use a liquid polish goup in my walnut.  I will use it until it gets black.  Then i swap.

    but i will keep it to "clean" any brass that has found its way into dirt/mud.  I may wash the brass in soap and water sometimes too, but it will depend.  but by using the old media on the dirty/muddy brass it keeps my dies cleaner.

    the ping you hear maybe a sealed or crimped primer.  i noticed it too, but not on all brass/primers.

    fwiw, i get my media via industrial supply and its cheap.  So i dont have any qualms about tossing.
    The ears never lie.

    - Don Burt
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,772 Senior Member
    Six-Gun said:
    1) I keep going with media until I start seeing excessive dust showing up on the cases.  Then I toss and replace the old stuff.

    ...
    ^This^

    I use the media until the brass starts coming out a little dusty. The dust doesn't hurt anything but I like my brass shiny. 😁

    I've heard that ping many times. Metal often pings under tension so maybe it's due to a tight pocket. Federal does use it's own primers so there's that to.
    I've never had an issue reloading Federal brass with Federal, Winchester or CCI primers. Heck, I've even used Wolf primers and the ammo always went bang so I just ignore the ping...

    Except in Monty Python movies.
    😁
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,309 Senior Member
    Big Al1 said:
    If it's .556 ammo the primers may be crimped in. I've heard that ping you refer to but don't remember what I was loading at the time.
    So far I noticed it in 38Spl, 454Cas, and 45-70.  Just seemed odd when I started paying attention to it that the headstamp was always Federal

    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    I never change the media. I just add more when spillage runs it low.

    If the FC brass won't accept a new primer it may have been crimped.
  • JayJay Senior Member New Mexico/TexasPosts: 4,547 Senior Member
    I replace the media when it starts not working as well and becomes too dusty.

    The ping sound is not necessarily from them being crimped. I've noticed it too and don't know what causes it. It's the decapping pin making the noise. Maybe it's primers that have a certain kind of sealer on them. I never paid enough attention to it to notice which cases do it. It doesn't affect anything, so I just keep moving along.
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Texas as soon as I can get there.Posts: 1,628 Senior Member
    I am thinking about how I want to clean the brass.  Is a rotary wet tumbler or a vibratory tumbler the way to go?
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    I am thinking about how I want to clean the brass.  Is a rotary wet tumbler or a vibratory tumbler the way to go?
    Vibratory is MUCH faster.  I used to change the media when the cloud of soot prevented me from breathing when I sifted my cases out of the media.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Unless you have to do a LOT of brass.  My daughter's boyfriend cleans his once fired brass in a cement mixer he bought used rom a local contractor.  He is a licensed ammo manufacturer.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    1- how often do you all change out your case cleaning media?  Just realized mine is years old, but I don’t use it that much

    2- I have noticed across several calibers that Federal cases make a “ping!” When you decap the spent primer out of them.  Does not seem to happen with any of the other brands of cases.  Anyone else noticed this?

     I use it until it quits working. If I clean a batch in the vibrator and it comes out dull and dirty, I will throw it. My current batch of media is about 13 years.

    As  for your ping I've never heard it, but then I'm deaf.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member OregonPosts: 1,526 Senior Member
    edited March 2020 #13
    I am thinking about how I want to clean the brass.  Is a rotary wet tumbler or a vibratory tumbler the way to go?
    Rotary will work.  IMO, the vibratory works better, but note, i never used a rotary.  If you have any friends that reload and use a tumber/vibratory go ask to observe.  

    I have a rotary design floating in my head.  If you can get ahold of one of those 3 gal pales, i was looking at using one of those as the container.  Then castors and a motor will do the rest.  But i also wanted to do alot more to the bucket to make it work better for my needs.

    If you want to go wet, consider where you will do this work?  in your kitchen, spare bedroom or garage?  

    FWIW, when i did a tour of Leatherman, in my backyard, i can tell you they didnt have any rotary in their shop.  It was all vibratory.

    If you arent sure, then head to harbor freight and get a cheap vibratory and try using it wet.  See what you think.
    The ears never lie.

    - Don Burt
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member In the sticks, OHPosts: 5,617 Senior Member
    If you get them wet....ya gotta dry em.   That's a non starter in my book
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Colorado!Posts: 7,699 Senior Member
    1. I change my media when it won’t clean the brass any more... not being snarky but just the simple way I do it. Then I use “walnut Lizard bedding” from big box pet store. It’s half the cost of media and does a good job. 

    2. What I hat is Speer/CCI using small pistol primers in 45 acp ammo! I scrounge range brass and find a bunch of the small pistol 45. I usually load it and don’t retrieve it 
    once fired. 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,772 Senior Member
    Elk creek said:
    ...

    2. What I hat is Speer/CCI using small pistol primers in 45 acp ammo! I scrounge range brass and find a bunch of the small pistol 45. I usually load it and don’t retrieve it 
    once fired. 
    That used to bother me at one point but not anymore.
    I use them both. Separating them is a bit of a pain but I keep two clearly marked separate bins. I have a bin from the large pistol and one for the small pistol. When there's enough .45 small pistol brass to make it worthwhile, I load it up the same as the large pistol stuff. They work great for matches where you can't retrieve your own brass. So it doesn't offend me anymore, I actually look for that brass. When other folks leave it on the ground, I just swoop in when they leave and pick it up. NR aluminum on the other hand... 😠

    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member OregonPosts: 1,526 Senior Member
    Spk said:
    Elk creek said:
    ...

    2. What I hat is Speer/CCI using small pistol primers in 45 acp ammo! I scrounge range brass and find a bunch of the small pistol 45. I usually load it and don’t retrieve it 
    once fired. 
    That used to bother me at one point but not anymore.
    I use them both. Separating them is a bit of a pain but I keep two clearly marked separate bins. I have a bin from the large pistol and one for the small pistol. When there's enough .45 small pistol brass to make it worthwhile, I load it up the same as the large pistol stuff. They work great for matches where you can't retrieve your own brass. So it doesn't offend me anymore, I actually look for that brass. When other folks leave it on the ground, I just swoop in when they leave and pick it up. NR aluminum on the other hand... 😠

    FWIW,

    if you want, you can use a marker to mark the base so its easier to sort large from small.  Depending on how long you run your brass in the polisher, the markings may stay on there for 1 or 2 cycles.
    The ears never lie.

    - Don Burt
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Elk creek said:
    1. I change my media when it won’t clean the brass any more... not being snarky but just the simple way I do it. Then I use “walnut Lizard bedding” from big box pet store. It’s half the cost of media and does a good job. 

    2. What I hat is Speer/CCI using small pistol primers in 45 acp ammo! I scrounge range brass and find a bunch of the small pistol 45. I usually load it and don’t retrieve it 
    once fired. 

    Thanks for the tip. Sounds like a great idea. My media is 13 years old and though it's still working, It wouldn't hurt to change it..
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    edited March 2020 #19
    One thing, I'm  not overly concerned how shiny it it. I'm more worried about it being clean. Carbon build up concerns me more than whether it's shiny or dull. .
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement