Home Main Category Clubhouse

Daily down under Lockdown Diary

orchidmanorchidman Senior MemberA true 'Southerner'. NZPosts: 8,403 Senior Member
Day 1.
Woke at my usual time 5.30am.........Over my morning coffee I wrote a list of things to do today. Aint going to tell you what was on the list...........cos I didnt do any of them.
Instead, I breadcrumbed a fresh fillet of snapper and pan fried it for breakfast.
It was so quiet outside due to no cars driving past I decided to go sit on the front verandah with my second and third cup of coffee. You could have heard a firing pin drop, it was so quiet. 

At 7,30 there were the sounds of the neighbourhood coming to life. Doors slamming, kids squealing, usual suburbia sounds which, normally you dont hear due to traffic noise.

By 8.30, I had positive proof that the lady that lives across the road and I had a lot in common........We both think her husband is a lazy SOB !!! Reason I know she thinks this is that she proceeded to yell at him to get out of bed and mow the lawns.....He told her to shut up and the argument started....Didnt hear their lawn mower at all today so I guess he won.....Round 2 will probably start at the same time tomorrow so must diary a reminder to be out there tomorrow for it.

9.30........Seems like people are taking the govts advice to walk for exercise...Had a steady procession of all shapes sizes and genders walking/jogging/running past the property .
Every time someone with a dog walked past on the other side of the road. the dog that lives next door to the previous mentioned people ran out of its kennel and barked non stop till the walker was out of sight. I spent 20minutes observing their fence to see if the gaps were big enough for a .284 120gr projectile from the 7mm08.....I think its doable......( Just kidding....but the range finder indicated 62m to a large enough gap in the fence) I know, I know, its not the dogs fault, its an owners fault.

Talking of jogging/running......I never realized how many good looking athletic young women lived in the neighbourhood - had a steady stream of them running/jogging past the house, and due to the mild temps, most of them were wearing halter tops, with the motion of jogging and gravity combining to make it very compulsive viewing...........Will be watching the video I took with great interest later...........

Decided I had better do something worthwhile so I started to clean out the kitchen cupboards, some of which hadnt been looked at for a number of years.

Can anyone tell me if cans of baked beans with an expiry date of 1999 would be still okay to eat? Asking for a friend..........

I managed to consolidate my coffee stash in one place finally. Did a quick calculation and, working on my usual 15-20 mugs a day, I am set till july 2023..........might have to get some more when I do a grocery run.........You can never have too much coffee.

Cleaned out 8 cupboards and re arranged everything to my satisfaction. Found a can of Hodgdons CFE 223 and a container of Varget hidden behind the coffee btw.....

Lunch was more fresh fish and fresh tomatoes.
Decided to relax after lunch  and watched a doco on Hitlers stormtroopers.
Knitepoet phoned and we talked for a while, we solved most of the worlds problems before hanging up.

Gotta go now as its early evening and being so mild I am picking the joggers will be out in force.............its better viewing than whats on tv.

Will update you on round 2 with the neighbours across the road tomorrow.

Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....

Replies

• RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Eupora, MSPosts: 2,814 Senior Member
    This is gonna be gold!!!!!!!!!

Please keep it up regularly!!!!!!!
  • NNNN Senior Member NCPosts: 25,221 Senior Member
    OK
    Foot traffic going past here is not as good as there-------mostly  dogs leading Hippos.

We're not shut down as much as youz, still a lot of cars on the road and street; but,
    supposedly nowhere to go; but, the store and the pharmacy. People must be buying a lot of groceries.    
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Between Ft Lauderdale and MiamiPosts: 12,564 Senior Member
    Starting today I am working from home.  Thanks for giving me something to look forward to
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Central MNPosts: 14,671 Senior Member
    Set up a lemonade stand for the walkers/joggers Alec ;) 
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    Went for a morning walk. There's still traffic. I still would prefer to be far away from here. I still hate this city.

Canned beans are still good if the can doesnt release gas upon opening. A freind told me so. 

The lazy guy lost unless his wife cuts the grass.

And he's seen alive sometime afterword.

No coffee pot made except ones that sit on the coals of a fire get the coffee hot enough.

The people that made up the narrative of hiding in our houses like people did in WWII can go eat sand.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Western PAPosts: 8,242 Senior Member
    NN said:
    OK
    Foot traffic going past here is not as good as there-------mostly  dogs leading Hippos.

NN "Thats a nice pig"

Hippo, "Thats not a pig, its a dog"

NN "Thats who I was talking to"
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    edited March 2020 #8
    Great reading Alec.  Thanks for the entertainment!

I've been looking for my boss for 2 days and no joy.  All my business associates are basically on self imposed vacations and it's driving me nuts.  Wife asked me to hose down the front porch because it was covered with that DAMN southern evil pine pollen and people are tracking it into the house...

So I did, then I hosed down the wall, then the front door and the ceiling of the porch, then I started on the font walk, then both cars and finally I cleaned those little divisions from the concrete forms (what the hell are those things called, they are not cracks...) on the front walk.  
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,760 Senior Member
    Expansion joints ,and be careful what you post on open forums, some statements might get you red flagged!!
    sakodude said:
    Expansion joints ,and be careful what you post on open forums, some statements might get you red flagged!!
    Good point.  I was just joking but edited nevertheless.

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Panama City, Fl.Posts: 8,690 Senior Member
    Great post but useless without jogger photos!! B)
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Under a logPosts: 27,457 Senior Member
    You need to post up some videos of the ladies jogging past your place. A low cost or free refreshment stand would get some good vid and stills, and if you post them on Youtube you'll be an instant hit! :)
    Most restaurants are closed down for in restaurant eating, but they are getting into the call in and pick up at restaurant thing; folks bring it out to your vehicle. Workaround to keep their people working and off unemployment. Seems to be working well at the places doing it.
    Fresh snapper and fish twice in one day? That's just mean telling us you had that feast! Loves me some fresh snapper and grouper! :)
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Manistee Natl ForestPosts: 18,291 Senior Member
    Apparently there is a strip club that has the girls in various stages of undress delivering take out from their kitchen....appears to be popular in spite of the $30.00 delivery fee...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,760 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    Apparently there is a strip club that has the girls in various stages of undress delivering take out from their kitchen....appears to be popular in spite of the $30.00 delivery fee...
    kind of like an "un cover" charge........
  • JayJay Senior Member New Mexico/TexasPosts: 4,552 Senior Member
    So now we add coronavirus to the list of viruses strippers might give you?....
    They arrive with a security guard
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,908 Senior Member
    I managed to consolidate my coffee stash in one place finally. Did a quick calculation and, working on my usual 15-20 mugs a day, I am set till july 2023..........might have to get some more when I do a grocery run.........You can never have too much coffee.

You're absolutely right about this.  I was down to five cans of coffee yesterday, and opened one of them, so I needed to get more.  I usually only get six cans of coffee when I buy the stuff, but Costco had free shipping on orders of $75.00 or more, so I had to order me eight cans of the stuff.  Supposed to be two days shipping time, but was told that due to the nonsense going on that it will be five to six days before they arrive.  I sure hope I don't run out before then because they are only three pound cans, but all they contain are two pounds and twelve ounces of coffee...
    No good deed goes unpunished...
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member OregonPosts: 1,526 Senior Member
    i live in a university too and there is all sorts of eye candy. Even due to them closing and booting most students, there are still enough to keep things interesting.

Its  also interesting to see how many people have their dogs in check and those that dont. Mostly dont.

I head to the local food bank to help since they are short of help now.  It also got me a get out of jail free card/pass, if they decided to enforce things.

The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • NNNN Senior Member NCPosts: 25,221 Senior Member
    NN said:
    OK

NN "Thats a nice pig"

Hippo, "Thats not a pig, its a dog"

NN "Thats who I was talking to"
    When we were at NAS Whidbey Island I did that often. Same kid mostly; he never seem to figure it out or vary his path. 
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member A true 'Southerner'. NZPosts: 8,403 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:

Pray tell us how you know this...........
  • JayJay Senior Member New Mexico/TexasPosts: 4,552 Senior Member
    I was wondering the same thing...

Say hi to Bambi for me, please. Tell her the burning sensation finally cleared up...
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member A true 'Southerner'. NZPosts: 8,403 Senior Member
    Actually, I think the mods have it easy........locked down with the swedish bikini team isnt a hardship........and if they get bored, they can always play with the free guns they have...
    orchidman said:
    Jayhawker said:

Pray tell us how you know this...........
    Big, burly bastard and I think he had a gun.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Merrritt Island, FLPosts: 25,222 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    Which begs the question of how "sex workers" are getting by right now...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
    edited March 2020 #25
    tennmike said:
    Most restaurants are closed down for in restaurant eating, but they are getting into the call in and pick up at restaurant thing; folks bring it out to your vehicle.
    Wife needed some crossstitchinging floss, she ordered it online from Michael's, and they brought it out to her.

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
    zorba said:
    Jayhawker said:
    Which begs the question of how "sex workers" are getting by right now...
    They probably wear masks....and latex gloves.

I HAVE to move.  Went to food store tonight and my neighbors are too stupid to know you can’t hoard salad crap...

BTW wife and I are by far the youngest in our neighborhood.  The parade of folks walking by is not very interesting.
    edited March 2020 #28
    Yakking after tonite's dance class on Skype:
    Doing drills via Skype makes far more sense and works better than trying to do veilwork!

)O(
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Lima, PeruPosts: 2,986 Senior Member
    Comrade president just announced 2 additional weeks of forced quarantine; transgressors will be detained and legally prosecuted. Others than authorized and considered as essential for basic services should only leave their homes for the closest food market available.

Today woke up at dawn. Ate breakfast peacefully alone and watched the news. Twins woke up a little later and played around; later mom sat each one in front of a laptop for video schooling while I worked in my phone; a little later wife did the same.

My CO buddy got stuck with us before he could continue his Panamerican CO to Chilean Patagonia motorcycle trip (BMW R1200GS Adventure) so he has been assimilated to the daily chores until further notice.

Midday checked the fridge and found the white wine and beer stash dangerously low so off to the market. Quarantine extension has just been announced and lines were extremely long so had to buy just enough booze to survive the day until tomorrow. Returned home and went full redneck style relaxing in the pool and drinking our remaining stash while the girls played around.

Around 3:00 p.m. we had lunch in the backyard and then off to a 4 blocks walk to the closest store for cigarettes for my pal and the wife (HATE them but any excuse is good to take the girls for a bike ride); streets were almost empty and most people were wearing useless masks; whatever ease their fears. Made a longer return trip for an hour long walk and now fooling around before the girls' bedtime routine and a few more drinks, music and chatting in the terrace.

It's going to be a loooong quarantine!
    Day 2
    Woke at my usual time again, 5.30am. Actually I woke at 1.30, 2.25, 3.45 and 4.15. Note for future reference........DO NOT EAT BAKED BEANS WITH AN EXPIRY DATE MORE THAN 20 Yrs.
    Anyway I woke at 5.30, had a crick in my neck from sleeping on the 'porcelain'........... ( Just kidding I didnt eat the beans)
    Usual routine, made a big plunger of coffee and put it in an insulated container as I didnt want to miss out on the action out front. Made a second plunger and had a couple of mugs. Wandered out onto the verandah at first light...........it was raining which dashed my hopes somewhat.
    But to my astonishment it was even better!
    The same parade of attractive young ladies jogged/ran past my house but this time it was a combination of a wet T shirt comp and a female athletic meet!!!
    I am beginning to like this lockdown thingy.......

Nothing stirred across the road till about 9am and then it started. I didnt hear the first part of the conversation but I did hear her husband yell, 'Alright damn you, I will go mow the lawn '. She called him an idiot, (something I already knew)  and told him that only fools mow lawns in the rain. I didnt hear much more after that but I did see him  standing outside their front door smoking in his boxers shortly afterwards........
    When the parade of ladies petered out I headed back inside to do the first ( and unfortunately the only ) task of the day.......Defrost the big fridge on the back porch and clean it out.

Havent told you this before, but the homestead is used by the family for functions sometimes, the last one was a funeral a couple of months ago.......and the family always leaves the leftovers in that fridge. I have been so busy I havent had time to clean it out.....
    After emptying it I discovered what I believe are some previous undiscovered moulds which could prove to be instrumental in dealing with the corona virus......
    It was so iced up I ended up having to dismantle some of the covers and use a hair dryer to melt the build up of ice. It took 5 hrs. Finally got it back together again and it is running better than ever.

Spent the rest of the afternoon doing odd jobs and finishing some things I had already started............the first being 1/4 of a bottle of vodka that I found in the back of the fridge.
    It stopped raining about 3pm so I retired to the verandah to rest. Was going to have a nap but the damn dog across the road kept barking again.......The lazy idiot husband who lives next door started yelling at the dogs owners who started yelling back.......

Nek Minit the daughter of the Thai lady who owns the dog, opens the gate and starts taking the dog for a run. I didnt pay much attention to her but she is about 19 or 20, 5'8" with long brown hair, brown eyes, slim build, about a 36c and was wearing a tight white tank top shirt a pair of cutoff shorts and pink Addidas trainers. She also has a colourful butterfly tattooed on her left shoulder and a gold ankle bracelet. ( Not that I was paying much attention.......but she did cross the road directly in front of my place and I couldnt help notice  minor details.) She saw me glancing in her direction waved and said hello. By the time she had passed my boundary I had fallen in love. ( I think it was love, the problem is that the difference between love and lust is very small, only about 30 seconds I think)
    I think I might take up jogging for exercise.....
    Had a quiet evening, and am now about to sit down and see if there is anything worthwhile on tv...

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    You guys are handling things well. 

That's good you're not too busy to give the neighbors a quick glance.