Home Main Category General Firearms

Shot Gun Choke

Diver43Diver43 Senior MemberPosts: 10,681 Senior Member
Let me begin by saying I know slightly more than nothing about shotguns.

Several years ago I purchased a Mossberg 500 Shotgun. It came with two barrels, the defender 18.5" and another 28" Modified Choke.  I assume the choke is built into the barrel as there are no threads.  Turkey season ends soon here in Florida, so figured while I am working from home and "social distancing" I could sneak off and maybe see a Turkey.  I usually borrow a buddies shotgun when we go together, but he is locked in the house.  Will this barrel with the modified choke work for Turkey?  Hopefully I am right in assuming the choke is built into the barrel.  
Any suggestions to make me smarter?
Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Replies

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,767 Senior Member
    Usually a turkey choke is extra full, for a dense pattern at long range. Keep them close and it should be no problem!! You can always have choke tubes installed or find an extra barrel with choke tubes. Even better, now you have a reason to buy a dedicated turkey gun!! :)
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,681 Senior Member
    Big Al1 said:
    Usually a turkey choke is extra full, for a dense pattern at long range. Keep them close and it should be no problem!! You can always have choke tubes installed or find an extra barrel with choke tubes. Even better, now you have a reason to buy a dedicated turkey gun!! :)
    BigAl, how does one install a different choke, if there are no threads?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,739 Senior Member
    Most shotguns today have screw in chokes. The ones that don't usually have amount of choke stamped into the barrel. Mossberg removable chokes have four slots in them so they can be removed. Look at the crown of the barrel if those slots are there it has a removable choke. 

If your looking for barrels check out Havilin. They have all kinds of Mossberg stuff. 
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,931 Senior Member
    Ron, You send the barrel off to someone like Briley to bore and thread the barrel, its much cheaper just to buy an extra barrel from Mossberg that has choke tubes.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
    jaywapti said:
    Ron, You send the barrel off to someone like Briley to bore and thread the barrel, its much cheaper just to buy an extra barrel from Mossberg that has choke tubes.

JAY
    Sounds like I need to find another barrel, or shotgun as there are no slots in this barrel.

Gunshop shelves are empty down here.  Thats OK, half the fun is shopping for that special gun.  For now I will use what I have, most of the Turkeys I see either just seem to appear up close or they are strutting alongside the I-95

FWIW , I saw one 26" vent rib with accu-tubes on E-Bay for $75.00

JAY
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,739 Senior Member
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,322 Senior Member
    jaywapti said:
    FWIW , I saw one 26" vent rib with accu-tubes on E-Bay for $75.00

JAY
    This.  They are all over the place.  And the one you have is known as a fixed choke barrel and yes it’s built in.  Just get a spare barrel with interchangeable chokes and go hunting!  The reason for wanting a tight choke is you want to accurately do head shots at longer distances so you don’t have to dig pellets out of your bird (or find them with your teeth).
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

Thanks guys, this is going to be easier than I thought
    To offset the cost, once you verify the new barrel suits your needs you can list the original on eBay since you'll never use it again.  It'll bring a few $$s.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,778 Senior Member
    That modified choke will work just fine. Go pattern it with some #4 or #5 shot at various ranges....you're looking for as dense a pattern as the barrel will shoot...that will determine your max range...You would be surprised how close those birds can get....

Also pay attention to where you are holding at various ranges to hit that snakey little head....it's really easy to shoot right over a bird that's close in.....

Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker said:
    That modified choke will work just fine. Go pattern it with some #4 or #5 shot at various ranges....you're looking for as dense a pattern as the barrel will shoot...that will determine your max range...You would be surprised how close those birds can get....

Also pay attention to where you are holding at various ranges to hit that snakey little head....it's really easy to shoot right over a bird that's close in.....

Lord, have you forgotten how the Forum rules work?  When a member asks can use what I have or do I need to buy something new the answer is ALWAYS "You need to buy something new.".

Jeeeeshh... 

It has been a few years, but this is what I used last time
    edited March 26 #16
    That'll work...  Didn't realize you hunted turkeys before.  Then my comment on the purpose of the tight pattern is old knowledge to you.

Just once before, but borrowed a shotgun.  
    Remember we have lots of Turkeys, just little land to hunt them
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,866 Senior Member
    Here's something you might find helpful.
    But what Jay is talking about is key. At what range do you honestly expect to hunt them at. That will determine if you need to buy another barrel. Having said that, "Buy another Barrel! Why? Just 'cause!" 😏
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,160 Senior Member
    Just buy some Federal Flight Control turkey ammo,  That wad technology started with turkey ammo - we've been using the tactical buckshot version for over 10 years.  It literally is an extra-full choke in a bottle. Typically only @ 10" of spread at 25 yards with the 00 load out of a cylinder bore.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,866 Senior Member
    Bigslug said:
    Just buy some Federal Flight Control turkey ammo,  That wad technology started with turkey ammo - we've been using the tactical buckshot version for over 10 years.  It literally is an extra-full choke in a bottle. Typically only @ 10" of spread at 25 yards with the 00 load out of a cylinder bore.
    That's what I keep in my HD shotgun. Works great for nice patterns at a distance.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

Season is over 4/10 and the WMA Holy Land (near me) is closed to keep people home for the COVID-19 Pandemic.  Only place to go is public lands and there isn't much of that, but I know a place.  Going to go with what I have, Maybe I can get one to sneak up on me again.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,290 Senior Member
    edited March 26 #22
    Take the shotgun you have, a 11x8 paper, and a marker. Draw a turkey head and neck on the paper. Shoot the paper at 30 yards. If you get more than 6 holes in the area of the turkey head, go hunting and keep the shots under 30yds.

First one I killed was with a old sears 28in mod choke at about 20 yards with standard 2 3/4th 5 shot. It was more than enough.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    Ron , ya know its legal to hunt turkey in Fla. with a scoped rifle.

JAY
    jaywapti said:
    Ron , ya know its legal to hunt turkey in Fla. with a scoped rifle.

JAY
    Funny thing, I just learned that this year.  
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,071 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    That'll work...  Didn't realize you hunted turkeys before.  Then my comment on the purpose of the tight pattern is old knowledge to you.

Now look who has forgotten how the forum rules work!  Of course he can't use ammo that he has sitting on the shelf.  That will never work.  He has to go out and buy the latest and greatest radar guided, heat seeking turkey loads he can find on the Interwebs..... Sheeeesh!  Don't you know turkey loads have an expiration date?  All that is good for now is shooting at cans and milk jugs.  🤣

GunNut said:

Now look who has forgotten how the forum rules work!  Of course he can't use ammo that he has sitting on the shelf.  That will never work.  He has to go out and buy the latest and greatest radar guided, heat seeking turkey loads he can find on the Interwebs..... Sheeeesh!  Don't you know turkey loads have an expiration date?  All that is good for now is shooting at cans and milk jugs.  🤣

BAM, I was smacked down to size 🤣

GunNut said:

Normally I would agree with you, but have you tried to buy ammo lately? Shelves are empty around here.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    I think I can almost smell turkey cooking in the distance.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,778 Senior Member
    edited March 26 #29
    Over the years I have accumulated a couple of .50 cal. ammo cans full of shotgun shells PLUS a 20mm Mini Can full to the top...damn thing is so heavy, I have to use a dolly to move it around...Anything I might need from low brass #9 shot to Duplex Turkey Loads (#2 shot buffered with #4 shot) and slugs is in there...I don't think I'll ever have to buy shotgun shells again and I'm prepared for anything that might need to be shotgunned...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,071 Senior Member
    Diver43 said:
    Normally I would agree with you, but have you tried to buy ammo lately? Shelves are empty around here.
    Ok, here is your solution.  Take an empty milk jug and cut it into the shape of a turkey.  Take it out to your proposed hunting spot and set it up.  Now you can sneak up on it with your expired, off the shelf turkey loads and have a successful turkey hunt.

But.....do not deep fry that turkey.

Diver43 said:
    Ok, here is your solution.  Take an empty milk jug and cut it into the shape of a turkey.  Take it out to your proposed hunting spot and set it up.  Now you can sneak up on it with your expired, off the shelf turkey loads and have a successful turkey hunt.

But.....do not deep fry that turkey.

Why not?