Home Main Category General Firearms

Shot Gun Choke

2»

Replies

• 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,066 Senior Member
    Well, not speaking from personal experience here, but I have heard plastic turkeys turn out better in the smoker than the deep fryer....
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,640 Senior Member
    All a matter of taste LOL
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,275 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    Jayhawker said:
    That modified choke will work just fine. Go pattern it with some #4 or #5 shot at various ranges....you're looking for as dense a pattern as the barrel will shoot...that will determine your max range...You would be surprised how close those birds can get....

Also pay attention to where you are holding at various ranges to hit that snakey little head....it's really easy to shoot right over a bird that's close in.....

Lord, have you forgotten how the Forum rules work?  When a member asks can use what I have or do I need to buy something new the answer is ALWAYS "You need to buy something new.".

Jeeeeshh... 

But you are being blatant about it. No tact or plan. You need to plant the seed, then help it grow. I have a 12ga, I dont like it, I hardly ever shot it, I stink as a wing shooter and the only turkeys I can call are ones that are half senile because they actually come in to my calling.  I now own 3 shotguns and a dog, the original 12, a 20 for pheasants, and a dedicated turkey 20. Strategic, not tactical.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    Diver43 said:
    All a matter of taste LOL

If you really don't like the taste of plastic turkey and want the real thing.....there is a way to successfully use your expired, off the shelf turkey loads on real turkeys.....but the pre-hunt ritual involves many of the same components as a proper barrel break-in procedure....
    Being in self isolation and social distancing, is it OK to get that close to chipmunks?

Once this crap is over, going to pick up a P365 and then a Turkey gun, then..............
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Diver43 said:
    Being in self isolation and social distancing, is it OK to get that close to chipmunks?
    Only if you take the proper precautions.... 😷

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,241 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    Jayhawker said:
    That modified choke will work just fine. Go pattern it with some #4 or #5 shot at various ranges....you're looking for as dense a pattern as the barrel will shoot...that will determine your max range...You would be surprised how close those birds can get....

Also pay attention to where you are holding at various ranges to hit that snakey little head....it's really easy to shoot right over a bird that's close in.....

Lord, have you forgotten how the Forum rules work?  When a member asks can use what I have or do I need to buy something new the answer is ALWAYS "You need to buy something new.".

Jeeeeshh... 

But you are being blatant about it. No tact or plan. You need to plant the seed, then help it grow. I have a 12ga, I dont like it, I hardly ever shot it, I stink as a wing shooter and the only turkeys I can call are ones that are half senile because they actually come in to my calling.  I now own 3 shotguns and a dog, the original 12, a 20 for pheasants, and a dedicated turkey 20. Strategic, not tactical.

You’re right, what was I thinking... 🤣
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    Maybe you need to set up for instant turkey dinner.

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    edited March 27 #40
    The problem with frying a plastic turkey is the oil reacts with the plastic and gives it an off taste. Put that dude in the oven and you're golden.

If you believe that are you interested in buying some real estate? I've got some waterfront property in West Texas for sale.

Seriously, if you went turkey hunting two or three .times every year I'd say go buy you another barrel or a dedicated shotgun. But for a once in a while turkey hunt what you have will work (I'm a piss poor enabler). I've killed a truck load of turkey with my dad's old Model 31 Remington pump with a wollered out Modified choke. Do what was said here, get some paper, I use white butcher paper. I use it for rifle targets too with some of those orange dots. Works great. Just roll off what you need and staple it to your target back stop. Well you can use it to pattern your scatter gun too. Put it on a large piece of card board stapled to a stake in the ground and back off and shoot it at different ranges to see where your pattern is going. Just change the paper every shot so you see what the pattern's doing at different ranges A turkey's got a pretty long neck so if you just hold a little high you will miss the body with most of the shot. Just limit your shots to about 30-35 yards. Nuff said, now go kill you some turkeys.

Oh, almost forgot something. A .270 makes a great turkey gun. I use 150 grain Nosler Partitions to insure adequate penetration. Just shoot him right below the eye ball. But be warned, don't aim low or you'll have "Smoked" turkey, LOL!!!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Ummmmm..........I am not sure a .270 will penetrate a turkey eyeball.....
    The Partitions are tough bullets.  They bounce off, but they give the turkey a nasty concussion.  You have to follow them around for 2 days but they will finally die...  :D

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

GunNut said:
    The Partitions are tough bullets.  They bounce off, but they give the turkey a nasty concussion.  You have to follow them around for 2 days but they will finally die...  :D
    OR, shoot one in the eye, then sneak up on him on that side and grab em
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,285 Senior Member
    Since you can hunt turkey with a scoped rifle down there, then a .22WMR or .17HMR would be the ticket for that. Just shoot at the base of the neck when the turkey is facing you. No meat destroyed and usually a quick takedown.  Not legal up here, but you can figure out how I know this; most turkey hunting is on private land up here, and check-in is done on computer/smartypants phone if turkey is not taken on a state WMA. Right now most of the 'possum police' are busy harassing the fishermen as the crappie fishing is on fire right now.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    Biggest turkey in my ranch eluded me for a full season and the LAST day of the season AFTER I was done hunting AND put away my shotgun my daughter walks in laughing to tell me the bastard is strutting behind the barn.  Funny the heavy barreled .223 was keep handy for coyotes was just behind the closet door in my bedroom.  That night we had honey glazed smoked turkey breast...

That's why I use Nosler Partitions. Oh and I try to get it in the eye ball if I can.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    edited March 27 #47
    I've shot one turkey with my wimpy old 27-03. I shot it at the base of the neck with a 130 grain Sierra Game King. I took the head, neck, and the top half of the body.  quit using it on turkey.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    jaywapti said:
    FWIW , I saw one 26" vent rib with accu-tubes on E-Bay for $75.00

JAY
    This.  They are all over the place.  And the one you have is known as a fixed choke barrel and yes it’s built in.  Just get a spare barrel with interchangeable chokes and go hunting!  The reason for wanting a tight choke is you want to accurately do head shots at longer distances so you don’t have to dig pellets out of your bird (or find them with your teeth).
    GunNut speaks absolute truth, but you can kill a turkey with a modified choke all day long,  don't let choke selection stand in the way of a hunt.

I even killed one with a .270....no kidding.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,850 Senior Member

Mike
    Sounds like a tall tale to me. 😉

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

Was swarmed by turkeys one morning while deer hunting in Texas. Would have preferred a deer, but that wasn't happening. And I'd never seen a wild turkey up-close.

Mike
    N454casull
    GunNut said:
    jaywapti said:

JAY
    This.  They are all over the place.  And the one you have is known as a fixed choke barrel and yes it’s built in.  Just get a spare barrel with interchangeable chokes and go hunting!  The reason for wanting a tight choke is you want to accurately do head shots at longer distances so you don’t have to dig pellets out of your bird (or find them with your teeth).
    GunNut speaks absolute truth, but you can kill a turkey with a modified choke all day long,  don't let choke selection stand in the way of a hunt.

Mike
    He got splatter from the poop bucket and died of E. coli? 

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,752 Senior Member
    My cousin and I (in ghillie suits) were sneaking down a dry creek bed into a turkey roost...came around a bend and ran smack into the flock coming up the same creek bed...for a second we all just stood there looking at each other... then the shooting and turkey related mayhem ensued...there were turkeys rumning, flying,and a few froze, obviously trying to figure out why two bushes were shooting at them... we each had two fall permits and filled them all...

Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    edited March 28 #53
    GunNut said:
    GunNut said:
    jaywapti said:

JAY

Mike
    No....he finally died when I bayoneted him.

Mike

N454casull
    GunNut said:
    GunNut said:
    jaywapti said:

JAY

Mike
    No....he died when I bayoneted him.

Mike

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Guys, I have been Turkey hunting twice.  Went with the same co-worker/friend. He uses a mouth call and I guess does it well as he had birds answer and a couple come into range.
    He was teaching me to use a box call. No birds answered, none came into the clearing.
    We were sitting under a bunch of Palmettos.  In frustration I stopped calling and started to crawl out and there he was, about 20 feet BEHIND me. We both froze and looked at each other.  I don't remember bringing the gun up, but next thing I knew most of his head was gone and he was flopping on the ground.  The other time we got skunked.  I really barely have a clue at what I am doing.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    All I know is you do have to shoot them with something.

If you try to catch them they'll out run you easily. I happen to this for a fact.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,275 Senior Member
    Get a call, sound something like a turkey. Learn to yelp. Shoot one when it gets close. 12ga mod with std 5 shot works, what you have will to. And if you dont get one, you still were not stuck at home.

It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    snake284 said:
    That's why I use Nosler Partitions. Oh and I try to get it in the eye ball if I can.
    That may work if you load hot enough.....but not if the turkey happens to blink at the wrong time.  That Nosler Partition will bounce right off the turkey's eyelid.  If that happens you need to instantly freeze and not move a muscle while the turkey looks around trying to locate the mosquito that just bit him.  Not because it hurt, mind you, but because hey, a turkeys gotta eat and a mosquito is packed with protein.

GunNut said:
    GunNut said:
    jaywapti said:

JAY

Mike

Mike
    N454casull
    GunNut said:
    GunNut said:
    jaywapti said:

JAY

Mike

Mike
    N454casull
    edited May 21 #61
    OK all jokes aside, let me tell you, I've seen a turkey shot with a .30-06 and a turkey shot with my .270. Neither was a pretty site. In Texas rifles are legal for turkey hunting, at least in the fall. Not sure about the spring season. But if you choose any rifle to shoot turkey use something like a .223 downloaded with full metal jacket bullets or a .22 rim fire. Don't even think about anything like a .243, .270, .308, .30-06. You won't have anything left but bloody feathers. It'll be "PUFF" The magic turkey!