Home Main Category General Firearms

A new one on me...... AR guys?

GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
edited March 2020 in General Firearms #1
As part of a group of guns I got from an estate there is this Frankengun old school AR and I’m trying to take off the handguards so I can see what kind of barrel is underneath.  Anyway they are NOT budging and it finally dawns on me something is wrong...

I don’t even know how you can do that!!!!!  Is there any way to remove without destroying the Delta ring?  I’m really just curious, I’m replacing it anyway...

Replies

• MichakavMichakav Senior Member Southwest PAPosts: 2,907 Senior Member
    Wow! If they got it on like that, it can come off the same. Appears like a lot of prying was involved.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Michakav said:
    Wow! If they got it on like that, it can come off the same. Appears like a lot of prying was involved.
    Yep...  I’m trying to save the handguards.  Don’t want to put any money into this fun.  Delta rings are cheap.
    Never mind it’s off now....

HEAVY barrel, no markings.  Rifling is nice, strong and clean and appears relatively fast.  

The bolt carrier is a pleasant surprise!!!

No clue as to maker but the upper receiver is marked DK so it’s a good quality casting.  I might get some old school triangular handguards and go shoot it.
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,772 Senior Member
    Wow!
    Never seen that one before. 🤣
    Glad you managed to take it apart just fine though. Looks like a good piece of work.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

Spk said:
    Wow!
    Glad you managed to take it apart just fine though. Looks like a good piece of work.
    Yeah... This was a new one on me!  I still have no idea how someone did that but it’s off and tomorrow I’ll clean the barrel and figure out the twist.  If it’s a 1:9 or better and it shoots I MIGHT keep it just for yuks.  At least for a while.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 28,060 Senior Member
    I’m gonna bet it’s a 12T. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Zee said:
    I’m gonna bet it’s a 12T. 
    I wouldn’t bet against you.  I’ll find out later today and report.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    In spite of a stuck part. I can't help but notice a lack of a hammer among the tools.

Well likely good for the rifle, its bound to tarnish youre over all image as a handy man.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Western PAPosts: 8,233 Senior Member
    I wont bet on the 12.

Its a C7 upper. At a guess you have a Diemaco C7 (Canadian Colt now apparently) with the heavy bbl that was made around the same time our A2 was.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Between Ft Lauderdale and MiamiPosts: 12,556 Senior Member
    edited March 2020 #12
    We were issued new M-16A1s with C7 uppers as we deployed to Somalia. They are the one with the brass deflectors for lefties.  Was a big deal for lefty shooters
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Between Ft Lauderdale and MiamiPosts: 12,556 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    Spk said:
    Wow!
    Yeah... This was a new one on me!  I still have no idea how someone did that but it’s off and tomorrow I’ll clean the barrel and figure out the twist.  If it’s a 1:9 or better and it shoots I MIGHT keep it just for yuks.  At least for a while.
    Was it already cracked or did you have to beak it to get it off?
    All the crazy things I saw Soldiers do over the years, nothing like that
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    I wont bet on the 12.

Its a C7 upper. At a guess you have a Diemaco C7 (Canadian Colt now apparently) with the heavy bbl that was made around the same time our A2 was.
    Ok, so what’s you guess on the twist?   The SE bolt carrier indicates that someone used decent parts on this gun.  Impossible to figure out provenance because the owner passed away.
    Ok, interesting.  If this is a true C7 upper the rifling should be 1:7!!!!!!  If it is I’ll just get a new delta ring and bring it back to original configuration.  That also means the handguard is original.  Cool!
    Looks like the A1E1 I think. I would put it true to form as they were issued. Of course no rocknroll switch, but almost what I was issued.  
    I think this rifle may have been assembled from a Canadian "surplus" kit?  Everything seems original except it's on a Eagle Arms J-15 lower which I KNOW from owning one years ago looks like this:

So another surprise.  EA does NOT stand for Eagle Arms, it stands for Essential Arms (who sold out to DPMS). a Manufacturer of lowers in the early 90s.  The receivers are provable pre-ban and apparently bring really good money in places like CA.  Saw a post of someone paying $700 for one.  If that's the case this sucker is getting SOLD...
    edited March 2020 #19
    Ok so after some research and cleaning out the bore the Gold star goes to Varmintinst! :inserbowtomasterhere:

This is a bonafide C7 upper with the appropriate D K stamps on the carry handle and correct rear sight with a heavy 1:7 barrel (with a pristine bore I might add!!!)  and the correct flashider and even the funky split washer instead of the new style crush washer.  The damn REAL Smith Enterprise BCG (not a modern one, SE does not manufacture the ones they sell anymore) is actually pretty desirable on it's own and commands a nice premium!  The buttstock is also correct for a real C7 which again leads me to believe this was a surplus "kit" that was assembled on a E.A. lower many years back.

I'll be damned!!!  Ok, I'm ordering the new Delta Ring and will keep the gun as it is while I try to decide what I'm doing with it.  I'm glad I didn't destroy the hand guards.

Crazy!!!  I almost gave it away to my brother in law because I thought It'd be worth just a few hundred $$s in parts...  :D
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Texas as soon as I can get there.Posts: 1,628 Senior Member
    Is it old enough to qualify as “pre-ban.”  If so, you can help a gun owner in CT scratch their AR itch?
    Is it old enough to qualify as “pre-ban.”  If so, you can help a gun owner in CT scratch their AR itch?
    Apparently yes!
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Texas as soon as I can get there.Posts: 1,628 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    Apparently yes!
    They pay big money for any working pre-ban AR they can find.  That is why I could never afford one when I lived there.

If you don’t love it, you could use it to obtain funds for something you do love.
    GunNut said:
    Apparently yes!
    They pay big money for any working pre-ban AR they can find.  That is why I could never afford one when I lived there.

If you don’t love it, you could use it to obtain funds for something you do love.
    I think the plan right now is to get a new delta ring and I might spring for a period correct tear drop forward assist.   Since it does have a 1:7 twist I’m getting some match ammo to try out.  If it turns to be a shooter it’ll be hard to get rid of it but, if the right offer comes along the so be it.  It basically cost me nothing...
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,908 Senior Member
    I wont bet on the 12.

And all this time I thought I was the only one with an A2...
    No good deed goes unpunished...
    Gila said:
    I wont bet on the 12.

And all this time I thought I was the only one with an A2...
    I think there are a couple in here somewhere...
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Western PAPosts: 8,233 Senior Member
    Try 69 and up gr weights. Loader Monkey sells 77gr match that a lot of people seem to like.

PMC Xtac 69 shoots the same POA as my 77 gr match at about 2x the group. If you use that and get a decent group, figure about half that size with match ammo.

It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    Try 69 and up gr weights. Loader Monkey sells 77gr match that a lot of people seem to like.

PMC Xtac 69 shoots the same POA as my 77 gr match at about 2x the group. If you use that and get a decent group, figure about half that size with match ammo.

Thanks for the recommendations.  I'll have to order some I doubt I'll find any locally.  Now I'm actually excited to go shoot this thing!