Home Main Category General Firearms

Back to the range today

Gene LGene L Senior MemberPosts: 12,750 Senior Member
This time for me, not the Grands.  Concentrated on the BM 9, which I thought needed a sight adjustment, but it didn't.  At 7 yards or so, it was quite accurate, maybe 2-3" for a 7-round group, if I concentrated on the front sight, which is coarse.  If I shot quickly, I did shoot right, but still enough to be effective.  Shot 50 rounds, including a few Critical Defense to check for function and there were no feeding problems.  I really like the pistol and will definitely carry it.

Also shot my .44 Redhawk with factory ammo.  First three rounds were bullseyes, then I started hearing recoil footsteps and blew the rest of the cylinder.  I shot it another cylinder before I decided I'd had enough.  That thing kicks!  And I'm a recoil wimp.  

My buddy brought his Ruger 101 and I shot it with .38s but I wasn't accurate with it.  Not bad recoil with the heavy little gun, kinda surprising after my lightweight 442.  Strangely enough, he shot it quite a bit more accurately with .357s than .38s.

Good day.
Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 28,060 Senior Member
    Which Redhawk do you have?  I forgot. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,750 Senior Member
    The 5.5", like Bullseye's.  I don't know why I bought it, I don't hunt.  I had a S&W 29, a 6.5" which I sold but shouldn't have.  Nicer looking and trimmer than the Ruger,  Another bad decision.

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,750 Senior Member
    The 5.5", like Bullseye's.  I don't know why I bought it, I don't hunt.  I had a S&W 29, a 6.5" which I sold but shouldn't have.  Nicer looking and trimmer than the Ruger,  Another bad decision.

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    44 mag can be downloaded with great results. I have some old CCI Blazer factory loads that are mild. I dont know if the new stuff is the same.  The 180gr ammo should recoil less.

I don't like heavy recoil either, although I have and make some heavy ammo. Generally, moderate or medium ammo is all I shoot and use, but light ammo helps me acclimate up to it.

The mail order retailers and manufacturer web sites list velocity. A good gauge for recoil.