Home Main Category General Firearms

Great timing!

Elk creekElk creek Senior MemberColorado!Posts: 7,711 Senior Member
I have had this in purgatory for a while and got it out of jail yesterday! Great timing if you ask me. It’s a DA arms SA58 also known as a FAL!  I managed to scrounge up 8 mil surp mags so I’m happy! Just gives me warm fuzzies.....

Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
«1

Replies

  • JKPJKP Senior Member North FloridaPosts: 2,678 Senior Member
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Colorado!Posts: 7,711 Senior Member
    JKP said:
    Nice!

    Thanks!
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    The perfect kitchen door rifle for the semi rural home :)
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Colorado!Posts: 7,711 Senior Member
    The perfect kitchen door rifle for the semi rural home :)
    I couldn’t agree more! 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    HEY!!!  We now have twinsies!!!  :D
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Colorado!Posts: 7,711 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    HEY!!!  We now have twinsies!!!  :D
    Gemelos! 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,698 Senior Member
    The Right Arm of the Self-Quarantined World.  ;)
    WWJMBD?

    "Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    edited March 2020 #9
     l love those guns. Wish I would have bought one back when they were cheaper. In 7.62 Nato you can kill anything with them. But I'm no authority, can they be easily scoped? Do they have a rail atop the receiver?
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    snake284 said:
     l love those guns. Wish I would have bought one back when they were cheaper. In 7.62 Nato you can kill anything with them. But I'm no authority, can the be easily scoped? Do they have a rail atop the receiver?
    You can buy Picatinny railed dust covers from several sources.  They are NOT cheap anymore, that's for sure.  The one I have literally fell on my lap but I have been doing some research and DAMN!
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Bigslug said:
    The Right Arm of the Self-Quarantined World.  ;)
    Ok you get style points for that one.  THAT was clever  :D
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Elk creek said:
    GunNut said:
    HEY!!!  We now have twinsies!!!  :D
    Gemelos! 
    Yep!
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Colorado!Posts: 7,711 Senior Member
    snake284 said:
     l love those guns. Wish I would have bought one back when they were cheaper. In 7.62 Nato you can kill anything with them. But I'm no authority, can the be easily scoped? Do they have a rail atop the receiver?
    Yes, there is a scope mount/dust cover  that DS Arms sells for 90 bucks. I might get one and add an optic of some ilk.  Thanks 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Between Ft Lauderdale and MiamiPosts: 12,561 Senior Member
    Great addition to the family
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Colorado!Posts: 7,711 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    Bigslug said:
    The Right Arm of the Self-Quarantined World.  ;)
    Ok you get style points for that one.  THAT was clever  :D
    😆
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Colorado!Posts: 7,711 Senior Member
    Bigslug said:
    The Right Arm of the Self-Quarantined World.  ;)
    🤣😂
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    snake284 said:
     l love those guns. Wish I would have bought one back when they were cheaper. In 7.62 Nato you can kill anything with them. But I'm no authority, can the be easily scoped? Do they have a rail atop the receiver?
    You can buy Picatinny railed dust covers from several sources.  They are NOT cheap anymore, that's for sure.  The one I have literally fell on my lap but I have been doing some research and DAMN!
    Thanks WA I mean Gun Nut, LOL!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 28,069 Senior Member
    Envy continues. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,754 Senior Member
    edited March 2020 #19
    I had one about 15 years ago, when they were fairly cheap.  It was reliable and accurate enough as it was.  I didn't attempt to put a scope on it and don't know if they sold the methods back then.  Plus, the FAL isn't all that accurate to become a sniper rifle.  No battle rifle, unaltered, is.The British never to my knowledge ever used them for a sniper rifle; the converted No 4s to .308.  The FAL certainly looks like an accurate rifle and some may be. Plus they're way cool.  I've got accurate scoped guns in .308 and didn't see the need. I never shot it much, though.    I can't remember shooting the FAL for accuracy, though.  I sold it  before they escalated in price.  The only psuedo Battle Rifle I have now is a M1A, which I wouldn't scope, either, for the same reasons.  The sights are superior to any Battle Rifle I've ever used.


    But a scoped FAL would be interesting, and if you do, please post a range report.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    edited March 2020 #20
    Gene L said:
    I had one about 15 years ago, when they were fairly cheap.  It was reliable and accurate enough as it was.  I didn't attempt to put a scope on it and don't know if they sold the methods back then.  Plus, the FAL isn't all that accurate to become a sniper rifle.  No battle rifle, unaltered, is.The British never to my knowledge ever used them for a sniper rifle; the converted No 4s to .308.  The FAL certainly looks like an accurate rifle and some may be. Plus they're way cool.  I've got accurate scoped guns in .308 and didn't see the need. I never shot it much, though.    I can't remember shooting the FAL for accuracy, though.  I sold it  before they escalated in price.  The only psuedo Battle Rifle I have now is a M1A, which I wouldn't scope, either, for the same reasons.  The sights are superior to any Battle Rifle I've ever used.


    But a scoped FAL would be interesting, and if you do, please post a range report.
    Now that the weather seems to be cooperating I hope t get out and do a 50 yard test to see how mine shoots.  If it looks promising I MIGHT get the railed dust cover and see what would be appropriate to mount on top.  Don't want to make this into any kind of long range rig but I liked Zee's idea of mounting an ACOG on it.  These are not natural sniper rifles but they are NOT CQ guns either.  Maybe a low power one...
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 28,069 Senior Member
    That’s why I ended up with a 1.5-4x variable. 
    The ACOG didn’t work. It mounts too high on the C308 and didn’t have enough adjustment to zero. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    That’s why I ended up with a 1.5-4x variable. 
    The ACOG didn’t work. It mounts too high on the C308 and didn’t have enough adjustment to zero. 
    Hummmmmm, I wonder if I would have the same issue with the FAL...
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,754 Senior Member
    Another thing to consider is the thickness of the metal where you would mount a scope.  I s it thick/strong enough to hold a scope under recoil?  I can't remember, and from a cursory web look at FAL mounts, looks like the top cover is replaced.  Is the OP rifle a metric or an inch model?
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Colorado!Posts: 7,711 Senior Member
    Gene L said:
    Another thing to consider is the thickness of the metal where you would mount a scope.  I s it thick/strong enough to hold a scope under recoil?  I can't remember, and from a cursory web look at FAL mounts, looks like the top cover is replaced.  Is the OP rifle a metric or an inch model?

    Gene L said:
    I had one about 15 years ago, when they were fairly cheap.  It was reliable and accurate enough as it was.  I didn't attempt to put a scope on it and don't know if they sold the methods back then.  Plus, the FAL isn't all that accurate to become a sniper rifle.  No battle rifle, unaltered, is.The British never to my knowledge ever used them for a sniper rifle; the converted No 4s to .308.  The FAL certainly looks like an accurate rifle and some may be. Plus they're way cool.  I've got accurate scoped guns in .308 and didn't see the need. I never shot it much, though.    I can't remember shooting the FAL for accuracy, though.  I sold it  before they escalated in price.  The only psuedo Battle Rifle I have now is a M1A, which I wouldn't scope, either, for the same reasons.  The sights are superior to any Battle Rifle I've ever used.


    But a scoped FAL would be interesting, and if you do, please post a range report.
    Mine is a metric pattern 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Colorado!Posts: 7,711 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    Envy continues. 
    I’m sure you will end up with one someday.....
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • North ForestNorth Forest Member Maple Falls, WA.Posts: 358 Member
    Congrats on getting a FAL. I put the DSA railed top cover on mine and it works just fine, no issues with it coming loose. Expect to work a bit with your gas adjustment for cycling, not a big deal, and it will beat up your brass. 2 MOA is a reasonable expectation for these rifles, maybe better with the right hand loads. I really enjoy mine, I'd like to get another, perhaps an Israeli with wood furniture.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Colorado!Posts: 7,711 Senior Member
    Congrats on getting a FAL. I put the DSA railed top cover on mine and it works just fine, no issues with it coming loose. Expect to work a bit with your gas adjustment for cycling, not a big deal, and it will beat up your brass. 2 MOA is a reasonable expectation for these rifles, maybe better with the right hand loads. I really enjoy mine, I'd like to get another, perhaps an Israeli with wood furniture.
    Thanks! I’m not worried about brass. I have a pile of 308 brass. The beauty of the fal system is the adjustable gas system. I’ve been wanting a semi auto social rifle far a while and glad this one came along when it did. This was the last rifle in an estate collection and the gun store was sick of people looking at it, it’s been on the shelf for almost 2 years at 1300. I got it for just over 850
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 28,069 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    Zee said:
    That’s why I ended up with a 1.5-4x variable. 
    The ACOG didn’t work. It mounts too high on the C308 and didn’t have enough adjustment to zero. 
    Hummmmmm, I wonder if I would have the same issue with the FAL...
    Likely. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    GunNut said:
    Zee said:
    That’s why I ended up with a 1.5-4x variable. 
    The ACOG didn’t work. It mounts too high on the C308 and didn’t have enough adjustment to zero. 
    Hummmmmm, I wonder if I would have the same issue with the FAL...
    Likely. 
    Hummmm, that would be an expensive experiment...
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Colorado!Posts: 7,711 Senior Member
    edited March 2020 #30
    GunNut said:
    Zee said:
    GunNut said:
    Zee said:
    That’s why I ended up with a 1.5-4x variable. 
    The ACOG didn’t work. It mounts too high on the C308 and didn’t have enough adjustment to zero. 
    Hummmmmm, I wonder if I would have the same issue with the FAL...
    Likely. 
    Hummmm, that would be an expensive experiment...
    I like the idea of a 1-4x or a 2-7 would be good  too. 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,760 Senior Member
    I can see you now, on the roof of Sprouts  :D
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement