Mossberg 702 Plinkster
Henry H001 Series
VEPR-12
Marlin Model 60
Ruger EC9S
Kimber Micro 9
American Heritage single action .22LR revolver
Smith & Wesson 686 Plus

Shot paper plates at 25 yards with the Mossberg and Henry.  Shot paper targets at 50 yards with the VEPR-12 (slugs) and the Marlin.  Shot more paper plates at 7-1/2 yards with the pistols.  My younger daughter was grouping around 4" with her scoped Plinkster shooting cheap Thunderbolts off-hand.  My wife was grouping around 6" with the Henry shooting off-hand with iron sights.  I was doing about the same with the Henry.  The VEPR and Marlin I really only brought along to function test as I had issues with both the last time I had them out.  The VEPR issue was a loose clip on the magazine (feed lips) that caused the gun to eject the magazine with every shot.  Once I found that and corrected it, the VEPR ran fine.  The Marlin also ran fine.  I am guessing the issue I had the previous trip was the Thunderbolts. Apparently I just had 2-3 duds in a row.  Had an occasional dud today with the Thunderbolts in several of the .22 LR guns.  My wife and older daughter got a little practice with their carry guns (EC9S for my daughter and Kimber Micro 9 for my wife).  I played with the American Heritage a little but mostly shot .38 Specials in my 686.  Funniest thing that happened....I had stapled the the paper plate targets to the backboard with a single staple in the bulls-eye.....I figured that was the safest spot.  When I was shooting one plate double action off-hand with my 686 the plate fell off with my 5th shot.  Yep, bulls-eye!  :D

And for those of you who want to see pics of the guns, here you go:

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 28,060 Senior Member
    I like the VEPR and the 686. Very nice. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Between Ft Lauderdale and MiamiPosts: 12,556 Senior Member
    Fun and practice for protecting the homestead.  Win Win
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Central FLPosts: 2,122 Senior Member
    Zee said:

I kinda like them too.  :D  That was an older pic of the VEPR, it now wears a Pursuit X1 tactical reflex sight with laser.  This is what it looks like now.  The other gun in the pic is my Savage MSR-15 Patrol.

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    Thanks!!!  I'm happy!!!  B)
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,750 Senior Member
    How was recoil with the Ruger 9mm?
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    I didn't shoot it today, so I can't say first hand.  First shot it seemed to take my daughter by surprise as she has only shot it once before.  But after that she seemed to do fine with it.  If I remember from the one time I shot it before, it is somewhere between my Shield and my wife's Kimber Micro 9.  The Kimber is a little snappier, but also tends to be more accurate.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    My phone won't download any pics today :'(

I have a 686.. Not surprised it got a bullseye :)
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Lima, PeruPosts: 2,986 Senior Member
    Nice shooting! The H001 is capable of a lot tighter groups. Be careful with Winchester ammo since ours will have issues with SuperX and 333/555 due to apparently oversized bullets that will cause jams & failures to chamber properly.
    Maybe it will download them tomorrow. :) Mine is the 3" seven shot with rosewood grips from Altamont.
    Antonio said:
    Nice shooting! The H001 is capable of a lot tighter groups. Be careful with Winchester ammo since ours will have issues with SuperX and 333/555 due to apparently oversized bullets that will cause jams & failures to chamber properly.

Thanks!  A couple of factors that opened the groups up on the Henry:  failing eyesight and old age.....ok, those might be considered the same thing.  :D

Thanks for the heads-up on the Winchester ammo.  I usually don't buy it in .22LR but I might have if it were on sale.  Now I won't.  Most often I wind up with Federal 38 or 40 GR.
  • ojrojr Senior Member New ZealandPosts: 1,341 Senior Member
    Man I could have some fun with the wee .22 revolver. looks great to me

The flight was uneventful, which is what one wants when one is transporting an Elephant.
     Reuters, Dec 2020.
    I can confirm, the wee .22 revolver is most definitely fun.
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Lima, PeruPosts: 2,986 Senior Member
    Antonio said:

Thanks!  A couple of factors that opened the groups up on the Henry:  failing eyesight and old age.....ok, those might be considered the same thing.  :D

Thanks for the heads-up on the Winchester ammo.  I usually don't buy it in .22LR but I might have if it were on sale.  Now I won't.  Most often I wind up with Federal 38 or 40 GR.
    Federal American Eagle LRN 40gr. and the HP in those odd 40-round boxes work like a charm.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    .22 revolvers are like the most fun you can have with your clothes on... 😁
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Merrritt Island, FLPosts: 25,219 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    .22 revolvers are like the most fun you can have with your clothes on... 😁
    Naw, dancing with a silk veil is! But shootin' a .22 revolver is a close second! ;)
    Luv my Wrangler - I just *had* to have one last May when they were introduced, didn't really know why. But it goes with me every time I go to the range - its my "cool down and relax" gun. Nice sedate pace to shoot 50.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,908 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    Yeah, the 686 is my favorite hand gun, but it doesn't conceal very well...
    No good deed goes unpunished...
    Gila said:
    It's my favorite as well.  I have found it surprisingly easy to conceal, but mine is a 3" barrel.  It is generally my go-to carry gun OWB with an untucked shirt over it.

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,309 Senior Member
    Who made that holster?
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Who made that holster?

Fellow member of the private range I belong to.  He has a side business making custom holsters.  They are all custom molded Kydex.  All of my holsters are made by him and most of the other RSO's at the range have his holsters.  He and his brother were working on putting up a website, but I don't think they have yet.  Here is one he made for an AR pistol just because somebody asked him if he could.....not because it has any practical use.

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Between Ft Lauderdale and MiamiPosts: 12,556 Senior Member
    I can see that being real handy when the zombies come
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member South DakotaPosts: 2,040 Senior Member
    Very fun.  Hope to get my girls out with the 22's today.
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,908 Senior Member
    Gila said:
    It's my favorite as well.  I have found it surprisingly easy to conceal, but mine is a 3" barrel.  It is generally my go-to carry gun OWB with an untucked shirt over it.

Yeah, mine has a 4" barrel.

No good deed goes unpunished...
    Yep, a 4" barrel does make it harder.  I intentionally chose a 3" barrel...just long enough for a complete powder burn but just short enough to hide under a shirt on my belt.