Home Main Category Personal Defense

AR-9

1hogfan831hogfan83 MemberPosts: 299 Member
First off, I don’t know if this is the right forum but because it would be used for home protection I assume so.  When does a pistol become a rifle?  I really want a 9mm in an AR platform but I would like to have an adjustable stock on it also.  Unless I’m mistaken isn’t that illegal on a pistol?  Any help would be appreciated.  
"Well he shoulda armed him self" William Munney-Unforgiven"
"You believe there is one God, that is good, even the demons believe and shudder in fear" James 2:19

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 22,892 Senior Member
    Barrel of less than 16” with a butt stock is an SBR. 
    As long as it has a “Brace” and not a stock.........it’s a pistol. Regardless the barrel length. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,182 Senior Member
    edited March 28 #3
    In MI, OAL from butt to muzzle (not including flash suppressor) can be no more than 26" to be classed as a pistol...which is why I had to go with an 8.5" barrel on my AR pistol...
    So check your state laws as well...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • 1hogfan831hogfan83 Member Posts: 299 Member
    And the difference between a brace and a stock, just to unmuddy the water? 
    "Well he shoulda armed him self" William Munney-Unforgiven"
    "You believe there is one God, that is good, even the demons believe and shudder in fear" James 2:19
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,280 Senior Member
    1hogfan83 said:
    Not much.
  • JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 143 Member
    1hogfan83 said:
    Brace is non adjustable and has some form of forearm support such as a strap or anything the like.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,130 Senior Member
    Not all of them have a support/strap

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101904714

The KAK Brace is what I have on mine
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 3,798 Senior Member
    And now they have adjustable length braces too... 
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 143 Member
    Learn something new everyday. Being that the ATF doesnt even care if you shoulder your "pistol", just shows that the SBR is nothing more than a $200 money grab.
    Learn something new everyday. Being that the ATF doesnt even care if you shoulder your "pistol", just shows that the SBR is nothing more than a $200 money grab.
    Yep.  If they‘ve had these “braces” when I put together my SBR I wouldn’t have gotten it registered.   

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 1,872 Senior Member
    I wonder if it would be considered ironic if someone were to use their stimulus check to buy a CZ Scorpion Evo with a brace?  Asking for a friend.   ;)
    I wonder if it would be considered ironic if someone were to use their stimulus check to buy a CZ Scorpion Evo with a brace?  Asking for a friend.   ;)
    It’s not ironic.  It’s poetic justice! 😁

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,130 Senior Member
    The Government has classified Gun Stores as an essential business. Government is giving you money for you to spend on needs at essential businesses. You need a new gun and they are there to provide it.  Not sure if that is ironic or just stimulating our economy as planned.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 1,872 Senior Member
    Now, if my "friend's" stimulus check will show up before my...er, his LGS is out of stock....