Home Main Category General Firearms

Range Day = Happiness with toys!!!

GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
edited March 2020 in General Firearms #1
THIS put a smile on my face as soon as I laid it on the table.

Shot a few groups and the averaged about 1.75" at 50 yards but I was not really doing my part today.  This was function testing and the gun runs FLAWLESS!!!  I foolishly brought no tools to adjust sights but anyway firing about a round per second, trigger pull on front sight recovery.

That'll do for now I think...

The star of the day was this used stainless Ruger 10/22 that I had NO expectations off at all.  Loaded it with the cheapest ammo I could find in my box and one of the cheap Bushnell scopes I just adjusted parallax on.  So I'm getting this at 50 yards...

BUT something kept bugging me and I remembered I never torqued down the screws on this gun, a habit I've picked since I got a Kimber out of the box with loose screws.  

So again. no tools but I picked up one of the empty .308 cases because the rim fits nicely into the slot of the action AND band screws on the 10/22 and tightened it down.  And I'll be dammed if they were not loose!!!  So I buckled down and THIS happens...

Yep, that's FIFITY yards with an off the rack 10/22, topped with a cheap ass scope and shooting Remington Thunderbolts!  I think I'll keep this one.

Then I functioned checked the new Rossi '92 in .357/.38 with some ammo none of my guns like (Federal +P SWHP) and as soon as I was on paper I took on this steel target at 100 yards and was pinging it offhand 8 out 10 times, the other two misses by a hair as I could see the strikes on the berm.  I think I could do better if it was square to the ground but Ok, that'll do too...  That one is also a keeper.  The polish and bluing on this gun is exceptional and I have to take some nice pictures of it!  The fit of wood to metal should be the envy of every gun manufacturer and the action floats like it's rolling on butter.

Anyway metal targets are to the left at 100 yards (second bro center).

I was shooting at the square on the left.

So by now I'm feeling pretty good, confident and warmed up so I took out my Kimber Tac Pro out of my AIWB holster I was carrying today and filled two mags with FMJ range UMC stuff and started sending them to that same target shooting offhand.  After a ranging shot to get my sight picture down I banged the damn thing 8 times in a row so I decided to quit while I was WAY ahead...

AND I had the damn place to myself!!!!!!!!!!! 

Replies

• waipapa13waipapa13 Senior Member Northland, New ZealandPosts: 954 Senior Member
    Nice work if you can get it :D , I love the SLR, my cousin was in the last recruit intake to use them in Australian service, great rifle.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    waipapa13 said:
    Nice work if you can get it :D , I love the SLR, my cousin was in the last recruit intake to use them in Australian service, great rifle.
    I'm in love too!  The rifle has like no harsh recoil and comes on target naturally for me.  Offhand the metal plates at 100 were in deep trouble.  It does weigh a ton  :D
  • waipapa13waipapa13 Senior Member Northland, New ZealandPosts: 954 Senior Member
    They sure do.
    My boss was an infantry non-com in the early 70's (NZ), he said the best part about making Seargeant was that he got issued an M-16 and didn't have to lug the SLR up hill and down dale.
    waipapa13 said:
    They sure do.
    My boss was an infantry non-com in the early 70's (NZ), he said the best part about making Seargeant was that he got issued an M-16 and didn't have to lug the SLR up hill and down dale.
    I can understand that 🤣
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    Great improvising. I should stop hauling that bulky tool box to the range, and put an empty .308 case in my pocket :)
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Lima, PeruPosts: 2,986 Senior Member
    That FAL is SO cool!; VG accuracy.

Had the same results under same conditions with my 10/22TD, also stainless steel like yours. Compared to the one I sold years ago seems like these are tack drivers.

Those Rossi 92s are wonderful for range fun. Excellent report!
  • ojrojr Senior Member New ZealandPosts: 1,341 Senior Member
    A great day, it's good having the range to yourself
    The flight was uneventful, which is what one wants when one is transporting an Elephant.
     Reuters, Dec 2020.
    Great improvising. I should stop hauling that bulky tool box to the range, and put an empty .308 case in my pocket :)
    We forget how handy those rims are.  I was using a .45 case to adjust the scope.  It has one of those old school coin type slots on the turrets.  Who carries coins Around anymore? 🤣
    Antonio said:

Had the same results under same conditions with my 10/22TD, also stainless steel like yours. Compared to the one I sold years ago seems like these are tack drivers.

The FAL is my new love.  I was feeding it ammo NONE of my guns like and it did Ok!    I can see that if I pay attention and do my part I can probably get sub 3” groups at 100.  Probably better with ammo it likes.

The 10/22 was a HUGE surprise.  **** I almost gave that gun away because of some small bless on the receiver (you can see them in the picture).  It’s staying now. The Rossi ‘92 is my first experience with the .357/.38 version and oh hell I’m liking it!    I’m gonna have to hang on to that one for a little while I think 🤣
    ojr said:
    A great day, it's good having the range to yourself
    I LOVE having the whole place to myself!  I have to go check to see what kind of damage I did to that 100 yard steel plate.  It was swinging pretty good with the 7.62 hits.  Hope it’s rated for what I was sending downrange.  Damn FAL shoots itself!
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Colorado!Posts: 7,697 Senior Member
    Oh man! That looks like a ton of fun there! Nice shooting. That FAL looks like a shooter!
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
    Elk creek said:
    Oh man! That looks like a ton of fun there! Nice shooting. That FAL looks like a shooter!
    It was a GREAT day!  Did you play with yours yet?
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Colorado!Posts: 7,697 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    Elk creek said:
    It was a GREAT day!  Did you play with yours yet?
    While the rest of the world is on a stay at home quarantine, I’m working. Possibly  Tuesday for a range day. I have a ton of range work to get done!!!! I was going to try to get out Thursday my last day off, but you guessed it working! 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,309 Senior Member
    Very nice.

i need to get some range time.  Going stir crazy
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Very nice.

i need to get some range time.  Going stir crazy
    Sounds to me like a reason to go check on your property 😁
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 28,060 Senior Member
    I like that FAL. 😢

Fail for no Rossi or Kimber pics!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Lima, PeruPosts: 2,986 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    Antonio said:

The FAL is my new love.  I was feeding it ammo NONE of my guns like and it did Ok!    I can see that if I pay attention and do my part I can probably get sub 3” groups at 100.  Probably better with ammo it likes.

The 10/22 was a HUGE surprise.  **** I almost gave that gun away because of some small bless on the receiver (you can see them in the picture).  It’s staying now. The Rossi ‘92 is my first experience with the .357/.38 version and oh hell I’m liking it!    I’m gonna have to hang on to that one for a little while I think 🤣
    You'd faint if see what local Army has been feeding FALs with. Last inter-forces shooting match we helped them with found 60% of the rifles assigned to their shooting team as unserviceable. Had to clean the chambers, bores and gas systems and cannibalize some of the bunch to end up with a handful of reliable, usable guns. Though as nails!

Aesthetic "failures" in my 10/22 receiver were the reason why I got it almost NIB and cheap! That and its excellent performance has made them invisible to me.

Those Rossi are great. Too bad newer ones have that needless safety but there's a kit being sold online to eliminate it. If the mag follower of yours is a plastic one it might be wise to replace it with an aluminum or brass one, also available online.
    When I rebuilt mine (.38 only and in door jamb condition) had to use some hand-fitted Winchester parts (dimensions won't allow perfect interchangeability), including a flip-up rear sight from an old '92 SRC and gladly the range markings set for .44-40 somehow matched the 158gr. LRN .38 Special ballistics. Even with crappy reloads it's boringly accurate!
  • RaftermanRafterman New Member Posts: 386 Member
    GunNut, If you haven't, look at DS Arm's website. They have a list of ammo that's not recommended in that rifle as it "may" cause damage. Of course that list of ammo is what I have the most of. Also look at a parts list and find "cocking handle stop lug spring pin" It's very small and if it becomes dislodged that will be the end of your shooting session.
    Zee said:
    I like that FAL. 😢

Fail for no Rossi or Kimber pics!
    Ask and..... well you know the rest.  The '92 is in my office right now and the Kimber is on my nightstand.

Funny I NEVER had a hankering for a Rossi in .38/357 and now This little gun is quickly worming a place in my heart!  Why can't Winchester make a dan '92 like this one at a reasonable cost?  Except for the stupid bolt safety, which will be taken care of soon, this gun is PERFECT!!!

This Kimber is also becoming one of my favorite carry guns because it's just more accurate than just about any other example I own, and that is saying a LOT.  I've never had a Kimber that was not a good shooter.  This one is just exceptional.
    edited March 2020 #21
    Rafterman said:
    GunNut, If you haven't, look at DS Arm's website. They have a list of ammo that's not recommended in that rifle as it "may" cause damage. Of course that list of ammo is what I have the most of. Also look at a parts list and find "cocking handle stop lug spring pin" It's very small and if it becomes dislodged that will be the end of your shooting session.
    Cool!  Thanks for the tips.  Just checked and I have none of them.  I was shooting Military LC arsenal "match" ammo that a friend donated to me a long time ago cause his guns don't like it and my precision bolt gun absolutely hates.  I would guess this gun is Ok with it.  Ejection was not violent with most cases landing at a 90 dredge angle from me about 10 feet away.  

I will be buying a few cases of FMJ Winchester white box mil spec stuff for this gun.  Pretty much a range toy, I can't really see myself hunting with this gun unless I do decide to scope it.
    What barrel length is the Rossi?
    Zee said:
    What barrel length is the Rossi?
    20" and weighs in at a svelte 5lb 15oz empty.  It's a handy little rifle with an LOP of only 12.5" so it mounts and is on target QUICK!  I think it would make for a darn good kid's gun too since recoil is pretty mild even with relatively stout loads.

I might try this one on hogs this fall.
    I have a 16” Rossi in .45 Colt that’s I scout scoped. Pretty handy little rifle. Taken a couple pigs with it. 

Also have a 24” Octagonal barrel in .45 Colt that’s pretty cool to shoot. 

I thought about getting a .357 Mag version. Then, they went scarce for awhile when they went out of business. Now that they are available again, I’ve kinda lost the desire for that one. 
    edited March 2020 #25
    I remember those posts!  I LOVE your scoped scout carbine.  That is one handy little hammer!

They are REALY beautifully made guns for sure.  I had a stainless octagon barreled .45 that I traded for a Glock to another member.  It was a very cool gun but I always wanted a blue version more.  Then I got the Uberti '73 in .45 and that scratched that itch nicely.

This little .38 just fell into my lap.  Part of an estate that I just bought as a whole thinking I'd just weed out what I didn't want later (FAL was also part of that).  I ALMOST sent it packing as soon as I got it home but it's so darn pretty and handy that I decided to play with it and now I'd have a tough time parting with it.  

I can see this being a good grandkids intro to centerfire guns and might even make a pretty decent hunting gun for a kid (or me when something compact and FAST is in order) loaded with .357 mags.

Did you leave the bolt safety on yours?  I'm going back and forth on getting the metal button to get rid of it.
    Mine have the safety. Just haven’t gotten around to changing it out. 
    Zee said:
    Mine have the safety. Just haven’t gotten around to changing it out. 
    I'm going back and forth because I keep thinking if I do end up using it for grandkids in the future a safety MIGHT to be a good thing to have...  But hey, no rush on that decision.
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,772 Senior Member
    What kind of velocity you guys get from those barrels. What loads you guys using.
    I have a Marlin in .44 mag but I've never chronographed it. It's really fun shooting specials out of it. Kinda feels like a little pop gun with .44 Special loads.
    GunNut, I love that range! The range where I shoot at isn't bad but shooters have to be mindful of the cows that wander across above the berm area. The range is set in a cluster of foothills and the cows graze the whole area. They sometimes wander in too close and we have to alert the range house to contact the owner about his cows 🐄
    All true... Funny when you think about but annoying when you're actually there trying to get some range time in. 😠

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

Spk said:
    What kind of velocity you guys get from those barrels. What loads you guys using.
    I have a Marlin in .44 mag but I've never chronographed it. It's really fun shooting specials out of it. Kinda feels like a little pop gun with .44 Special loads.
    GunNut, I love that range! The range where I shoot at isn't bad but shooters have to be mindful of the cows that wander across above the berm area. The range is set in a cluster of foothills and the cows graze the whole area. They sometimes wander in too close and we have to alert the range house to contact the owner about his cows 🐄
    All true... Funny when you think about but annoying when you're actually there trying to get some range time in. 😠

I haven't reloaded in years and have no crony so I couldn't tell you.  Maybe Zee's got some numbers on his.  Actually I was going to ask him about the loads he's running on the Rossi's so I hope he come back to this discussion.

I like the idea of a wide open range and the whole cow thing is cool, but I can see it could become troublesome.  My range is less than 3 miles form my house and I can be there in under 10 so I take advantage of that a lot.  It's a private club and most of the time I have the place either to myself or there will be a handful of other shooters there.  No ROs but everyone behaves.  I have 25 (rifle/handgun shared), 50, 100, 150, 200 and 300 yard stands for rifle and two 15 yard dedicated pistol lanes that can accommodate up to 3 shooters comfortably and have berms on 3 sides.  I usually get one for myself.   Theres also a wide open field with a REALLY high berm that is just free form and you can shoot whatever you want in any manner you want and that's usually open too.
    I’m using 250gr Hornady XTP handloads. 

16” = 1,733 fps
    24” = 1,815 fps
    Zee said:
    I’m using 250gr Hornady XTP handloads. 

16” = 1,733 fps
    24” = 1,815 fps
    Damn!  Is the Rossi rated for "Ruger Only" type loads?